Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Styling for church (Actual church gatherings)(:

Model

Emma Charlotte

Oxford, Maryland, US

This is probably addressed more to the stylists among you, but pretty one anyone with a sense of style.  I'm in my twenties, fairly thin, and I'm trying to choose for new items suitable for these occasions.  It's not really conservative, but still should be appropriate and of course, attractive...

Thanks.

Mar 08 16 03:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Emma Charlotte wrote:
This is probably addressed more to the stylists among you, but pretty one anyone with a sense of style.  I'm in my twenties, fairly thin, and I'm trying to choose for new items suitable for these occasions.  It's not really conservative, but still should be appropriate and of course, attractive...

Thanks.

Yikes, sorry nobody ever got back to you. I used to live in your area. Which church is it? Is it Catholic or otherwise? (From what I remember, pretty much all the churches except two or possibly three in Israel are Catholic.... there are 2 Lutheran ones that also function as "non-denomonational.")

Are you new to church-going in general? Are you from Israel originally or an immigrant/expat?

Mar 15 16 09:04 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Raychie Loves Makeup wrote:
Yikes, sorry nobody ever got back to you.

I can't speak to as why other stylists ignored this question but I can clarify as to why I did. The operative word for me in personal styling is personal. On a set for a photo shoot I can pull wardrobe, make on the fly temporary alterations, and where the model has an understanding that liking the garments isn't a requirement because unless it's something they feel uncomfortable in they're there to do a job.

Personal styling work (even in this informal context) presents it's own set of challenges, one of which was pointed out by the questions of "Which church is it? Is it Catholic or otherwise?". This requires both a limited knowledge of church culture (which I have in the broadest sense) and more importantly the way that culture is translated into fashion where the OP is in Israel e.g. her portfolio lists Tel Aviv but that may not be reflective of where she worships (which I don't have). This may seem overly complicated but consider for a second the variations in what's deemed "appropriate" for a Baptist church in Harlem, NY vs what would be viewed as "appropriate" for a Moravian church in Bethlehem, PA, the same goes for what would be viewed as "attractive". Additionally, there's a matter of finances. In that regard I'm not talking about styling fees but rather the costs of the suggested garments. There are two things to consider here: 1.What kind of a budget does the OP have to spend on acquiring new pieces? 2. Even in suggesting pieces at a range of price points if the OP can't find something similar in a local store that the cost of shipping from a U.S. based website (which are primarily the sites I utilize) can be cost prohibitive. Finally, there is the matter of geography. Yes, I can look at the portfolio of a model and get an idea of their body type, but that's all it is: an idea, and again on a set that's not as issue. With personal styling, it's helpful to know exactly what a person looks like without the filter of a computer screen. It's also helpful to be there when they're trying on pieces because not everything has hanger appeal e.g. with my last personal styling client I selected a sweater that he was reluctant about because he thought it looked "old", surprise, surprise he tried it on and loved it enough to come out of the dressing room and show it to me before he even tried on the pants I selected to go with it, and ended up buying it in three colors.

My point is that sometimes even a question that seems like it should have a simple answer, or at least a ton of responses, is one that requires more thought.

Mar 15 16 09:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Well, I'll be happy to help. This is a total fluke, but I attended church in Tel Aviv and the surrounding area for many years, and do happen to have knowledge of what's appropriate for different congregations in the area. I just need to know which one. smile

Mar 15 16 01:24 pm Link

Model

Emma Charlotte

Oxford, Maryland, US

Thanks everyone!  Much appreciated.
It is a Lutheran church.  And no, I am not new, but I often wonder whether I dress appropriately. (:

Mar 16 16 10:39 am Link