Forums > Critique > Did my first shoot, would love some advice!

Model

MoniqueReneeModel

Salem, Massachusetts, US

Hello everyone, I hope you're having a wonderful evening! I just did my first photoshoot with someone here on MM and I would really appreciate some honest critique and feedback. All the pics have been uploaded to my port.

Thank you so much for your time!

Mar 09 16 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Harbek Photography

Snead, Alabama, US

Welcome to MM.   The only advise I'll give you for now, ---When you are contacted by a photographer,
It's usually because He/She has chosen you from the list of many as a model they wish to work with.
Show Him/Her the courtesy  of responding, weather positive or negative.
         More than 90% of models (whom I've contacted) listed on here never reply one way or the other.
         You are a pretty model, and I wish you well in all your modeling assignments.

Mar 09 16 08:29 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

Aw shucks you're adorable. I don't like the beach picture so much, nor the one of you looking out the window in profile (they don't look coordinated nor natural)  but the ones on the swings and with the Coca Cola sign are great. My fave is the one where you're lying sideways in the leaves though, very fairy-like and ethereal.

Mar 09 16 08:56 pm Link

Model

MoniqueReneeModel

Salem, Massachusetts, US

Harbek Photography wrote:
Welcome to MM.   The only advise I'll give you for now, ---When you are contacted by a photographer,
It's usually because He/She has chosen you from the list of many as a model they wish to work with.
Show Him/Her the courtesy  of responding, weather positive or negative.
         More than 90% of models (whom I've contacted) listed on here never reply one way or the other.
         You are a pretty model, and I wish you well in all your modeling assignments.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will definitely try to be as responsive and professional as possible!

Mar 10 16 08:18 pm Link

Model

MoniqueReneeModel

Salem, Massachusetts, US

Amy DeBellis wrote:
Aw shucks you're adorable. I don't like the beach picture so much, nor the one of you looking out the window in profile (they don't look coordinated nor natural)  but the ones on the swings and with the Coca Cola sign are great. My fave is the one where you're lying sideways in the leaves though, very fairy-like and ethereal.

Thank you so much! You're absolutely stunning. Your port is very inspiring smile I replaced the lake bed pic with some different ones. Also I love that one as well, thank you!

Mar 10 16 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Pretty good for a first shoot. I like the one you cropped for your avatar, and the one of you in the leaves. The one of you with the red lipstick is nice but the perspective is off, looks like it was shot with a wide angle lens. Keep working with more photographers and try to bring a little more life to your shots, not just sitting and/or standing there.
Root through lots of portfolios of photographers and models on MM, and start a list, "Shots I would like to emulate". That way you will have a visual reference to refer photographers to, to explain what you are looking for in a shoot.
By the way, you should make it a point to credit any other MM members who work on your shoot.
Hang in there and best of luck.

Mar 10 16 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Irakly Shanidze

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, US

Monique, you have too many images from the same shoot. If you want your port to be breathtaking, always choose the best picture from any shoot, don't be tempted to show everything you've got.

Mar 10 16 09:26 pm Link

Model

MoniqueReneeModel

Salem, Massachusetts, US

Irakly Shanidze wrote:
Monique, you have too many images from the same shoot. If you want your port to be breathtaking, always choose the best picture from any shoot, don't be tempted to show everything you've got.

That's because I have really only done that shoot. I figured it would be better to have a full port than an empty one, even if they're mostly from the same shoot. I have a few other shoots lined up too, so hopefully I'll be getting some diversity in there soon.

Mar 15 16 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

MoniqueWie wrote:
I figured it would be better to have a full port than an empty one, even if they're mostly from the same shoot.

While I understand that this is a common sentiment, particularly with less experienced people, I find that the opposite is often true. Personally, I am more impressed with fewer, better photographs than a full portfolio of lesser images. The latter suggests to me that the person might not understand the difference between a good shot and a mediocre one, and if they can’t tell the difference, I’d be less convinced that they’ll be able to deliver the good shot consistently. As a result, I would be less likely to want to work with that person.

Mar 15 16 03:25 pm Link

Model

Dipty

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

All the best

Apr 19 16 04:06 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

My advice would be to come to Florida and shoot with everyone named "SOS"  .  .  .  wink  Nicely done, as you do more shoots, just replace some of the lesser images with stronger new ones  .  .  .  the camera and you get along wonderfully, try as many different styles as you can, and see what works best for you  .  .  .  now, how soon can ya be here  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Apr 19 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

JHLePhotography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hi Monique,

Suggestions: practicing various Facial expressions would be fantastic. Emoting is key in imagery.
Always emphasize Quality over Quantity.

Apr 19 16 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160330/16/56fc5b06e2545_m.jpg
Every photographer that photographs you will have their own ideas and way of doing things.
So here is my take on the photo, lovely wardrobe and great looking model
Instead of models right arm being so straight I would like to see a bend at the elbow. To show the camera a long lovely neck, lower shoulder toward camera and roll it back, don't hide that lovely neck behind your hair, open up the area of your neck by putting your hair behind your shoulder.
If knees are lower that your hips and feet extended your legs will look super long.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160330/16/56fc5afd0ffbd_m.jpg
Notice in this photo your right elbow has a slight bend
I prefer this image over the first one I commented on.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160309/18/56e0d935c02b0_m.jpg
Great smile, I wish you well

Apr 19 16 01:49 pm Link