Forums > Newbie Forum > Do photographers even read model's profiles?

Photographer

Slice Media

Columbus, Ohio, US

As a new photographer & new MM member, I always read a model's profile before contacting her for a proposed shoot. It's one thing to have someone look at my photos or read what I'm offering in terms of compensation & just decide they aren't inclined to work with me. It's another to go around making people angry because I haven't taken a few minutes to read their preferences, restrictions, etc., and ask them to do something they won't do even for far more experienced, talented photographers. I'm not a believer in burning bridges - especially ones I haven't even come to yet. Plus, time is valuable & rejection (even professional rejection) sucks. Why waste time & risk a harsh response from someone when I can avoid both by reading their profile before I approach them?

Mar 01 17 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Models have profiles?  Well, whaddya know!

As a photographer, I can honestly say that I've never been asked to shoot nude. But if the model was REALLY polite, I would consider it. As long as she didn't look when I took my clothes off. (I'm shy!)

Mar 02 17 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

We all have things that we do and don't do. I don't do weddings but I'm constently bombarded for request to do them.  I don't anger or upset me.

It'd be bad for business if I did.  Each of us have our strong points and weak points and I'm a horrible wedding photographer.  I'd rather turn down the work than have a pissed off client that spreads word about how bad I am. 

In the end it's the same.  I don't do wedding so I politely turn down the offers.

Mar 02 17 09:01 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Clementynejoy wrote:
Do photographers even read model's profiles?
How else can I make this clear without sounding like a total diva?

Some do, some don't. I do.

Maybe a bit of sense of humor, "I humbly beseech thee brethren, by the mercies of God, to please read the profile."
Then do like the aviation industry and some models do similar, "When you contact me, indicate that you have information 'Alpha'" or whatever code word you wish to test for comprehensive and compliance.

"Not to be diva like but due to the overwhelming responses from togs who apparently haven't read the profile, shoot solicitations that do not conform to the criteria outline are subject to be ignored or even blocked."

You could continue on a humorous, informative and factual basis and indicate that you recognize that literacy rates may be low and that this is a visual art and that verbal skills maynot be that high but that illiteracy will be punished in one form or another and that you get to pick the punishment!  You're just that type of woman! LOL. Have a little fun with it!  ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_ … ted_States

Mar 02 17 09:17 am Link