Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Your opinion on pw-protected online portfolios?

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm currently sending out some retouching job applications. For some of my retouching portfolio, the clients don't want the "before" version to appear on the internet – and of course, I very much understand that. On the other hand, a lot of clients would like to see a "before-and-after" portfolio.
One option would be to put the images side-by-side within my CV (pdf file), which I send out. (i.e.: I do NOT store my cv online, so it really only goes out to whichever job I actively apply for).

But because I do a lot compositing work, an interactive "overlay" before-and-after would be a lot nicer than a side-by-side one. Not possible in a pdf... So I thought about creating a password-protected area on my website for this. The password would only be sent out to 5-6 people, and I would change the password again after a week or two.

What's your opinion about this? Would this be 'ethically' OK?

I'd like to add: I would only do this for advertising/compositing work: Still Life, CGI compositing, etc... I would not do this for images which contain recognisable models, so that no-one would look 'unfavourable'.

Apr 07 16 11:09 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

If clients don't want you to show anything on the Internet - that implies it must not be shown in any form, including password protected. So unless otherwise agreed upon, you should not do this at all.

Showcasing should not be something to baby sit. Put online what you can show and send in private what you are allowed to send.

That would be ethical.

Apr 07 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Per R

Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Ikiri wrote:
But because I do a lot compositing work, an interactive "overlay" before-and-after would be a lot nicer than a side-by-side one. Not possible in a pdf...

Why not simply email a html page then? There's a chrome extension ("single-file" or something like that) which will condense a web-page down to a single file, by embedding pictures etc as data URI:s.

Apr 08 16 02:51 am Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

Thank you both for your input!

Apr 08 16 11:00 am Link

Retoucher

Marcus Christopher

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Frankly, I do not have an opinion on the question, whether setting up a password-protected area would be "ethically OK". I don't see why it shouldn't be, but it might also depend on who your clients are. Personally, I have stopped to show "before-and-afters" on my studio's website a long time ago. And my clients couldn't care less.

In my experience the more experienced (and higher paying smile) clients are not really interested in checking out the "before" shots anyway. They have been in the business long enough to know, what's possible in-camera and what was done as part of the post production. It's mostly the lower-end clients who like to pixel-peep and see the "befores". But, again, YMMV.

I would like to respond to that PDF thing though...

Ikiri wrote:
But because I do a lot compositing work, an interactive "overlay" before-and-after would be a lot nicer than a side-by-side one. Not possible in a pdf...

Well, in my opinion, that is not necessarily the case. It's true that cool interactive overlays with smooth rollovers and such are not possible in PDF files. But it's very well possible to create an "interactive PDF" with buttons. So, you could set up a button next to (or on top of) your final retouched image (labeled, e.g., "Show Before Image") that switches the two images. This works in all modern versions of Adobe Reader, no flash extension necessary.

Now that I think of it... I could even imagine setting up a rollover in an interactive PDF that simply lowers the opacity of the topmost image to 0%. If the before image is positioned right below that final image, it should work a bit like the "overlay" that you're thinking of.

May 05 16 07:25 am Link