Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Anyone use basICColor 5 for monitor calibration?

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Not too fond of i1 Profiler and basICColor 5 seems to get good reviews.

I loaded the trial version and a couple of the presets are giving me an error and the others are okay.  The i1 Profiler seems happy with whatever (and why I'm suspicious of it), but something is saying no with basICColor 5.  Same i1 Display Pro head works with both.

Anyone use this program and how to get rid of the red x marks with some profiles it makes?

Tia.

Mack

Apr 22 16 08:01 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Apr 23 16 07:32 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Pictus wrote:
smile
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/ind … c=109983.0

Thanks Pictus, but that link is for their "Camera and scanner" profiler.  I was asking about at their "Display" profiler:  http://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-display-5-en/

I did find it on LuLa here though: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/ind … on=search2  but I need to spend some time digging through 16 pages now and see what they say.

However, I did get an extremly low Delta e (So the red X bad one is now gone!) when I did the Display 5 one in their Advanced Mode where I had to use the nVidia Control Panel setting sliders manually for the Red, Green, Blue, and Luminance to zero some test scale they have.  It has some flickering color/tone thing that it runs in a continuous loop while you slide those nVidia sliders around and when you nail it, it stops flickering in the loop and validates with a green checkmark showing the low Delta e score.  Pretty slick, but I wonder (Perhaps fear?) if this has to be done with each of their defaults like Web, Soft Proof, Landscape, Indoor Studio, and Printing?

Interesting software once one figures it out.  How much better it is than using the x-rite i1Profiler software I don't know.  Does work pretty quick with the i1 DisplayPro head though.  I have a bunch of old Spyders too, but I never had much luck with DataColor's stuff.

Back to reading about the LuLa forum on the "Display" one.

Thanks again.

Mack

Apr 23 16 09:01 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Ahhhhhhhh!
The monitor thing...
I tested one time, but for monitor without programmable LUT Argyll+dispCAL is way better...
I guess the 5 does supports your Eizo hardware, if it is better than the Color Navigator I do not know.

This advanced thing is only for monitor without internal LUT, so we alter the monitor RGB channels to
match the desired white point and it is the same way for other calibration software...
But you can not alter the Nvidia controls, only the monitor controls!

Apr 23 16 12:55 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Pictus wrote:
Ahhhhhhhh!
The monitor thing...
I tested one time, but for monitor without programmable LUT Argyll+dispCAL is way better...
I guess the 5 does supports your Eizo hardware, if it is better than the Color Navigator I do not know.

This advanced thing is only for monitor without internal LUT, so we alter the monitor RGB channels to
match the desired white point and it is the same way for other calibration software...
But you can not alter the Nvidia controls, only the monitor controls!

I haven't played with the Eizo yet, this is just for the notebook so far.

I can move the nVidia 980M "Control Panel" sliders in the MSI notebook and make this basICColor Display 5 thing work that way.  It actually took a lot of the red slider and green slider down to zero it out.  Strange part is those two colors are always the ones that were off in the prints as well and I needed to always alter those even if I used the x-rite i1 PhotoPro 2 on the monitor and printer both. The $1,500 i1 system was close, but maybe not close enough.   If this works, I might try their printer software out later.

I don't know if this new color software is any better than the x-rite stuff, but it is showing me a very small Delta e overall which is good.  I can emulate it over to the Eizo CG-248-4K later if needed using it or the Eizo's Color Navigator 6 and the puck, but for now I just need to learn how to work it on the notebook and forget about the Eizo for the time being.  Argyll+GUI didn't seem to like the notebook for whatever reason and the maker said it worked better with external monitors that had their own graphics cards and LUT stuff inside them.

Aside, I did attend some printer's school in LA recently and they seemed to push this basICColor stuff over the others they've sold and tried.  The "God Father of Profile Making" (Greenleaf?) was there and swears by it too, but he also has some $50K in hardware and commercial calibration stuff as that's his business and has calibrated all the school's papers  (40+ types.) to their printers and monitors.  They don't waste a single sheet of whatever paper or canvas comes out of the printer off the monitors - it's all spot on and WYSIWYG!  We'll see...

Apr 23 16 05:08 pm Link