Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Critique of my first professional photo

Model

doeebay

Glendale, Arizona, US

Hi everyone smile
I'm new to MM (Just got approved today actually) and I would love some honest critiques of my first professional photo. And Please don't sugar coat guys, I really want to improve my work.

Thanks!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40570272

May 02 16 01:06 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Someone who knows much more should be along soon, but to get things started:

To me these don't look like what people normally call professional shots but polaroids. They're not quite right as such:

http://almodelsny.com/en/casting/snapshots/

You have a model build and your face shoots extremely well. You're too short for some forms of work but not all.

I'd get better polaroids and send them to agencies (read up on agency scams!) especially those specializing in petites and see what they say. Remember that the odds are long and most modeling careers are fizzles. Read up on and practice posing - see the Edu section here, especially Jill Billingsley's videos - and find the best photographers near you for tfp.

Oh - I see the Calvin Smith shot now. The camera likes your face. Your expression is dull, but then I doubt the photographer who composed that shoot or lit you with glaring patches on your cheek gave you much direction. As a rule your eyes should always align with your head - you're showing too much eye white.

As someone transitioning from portrait to fashion, I'd shoot you tfp and hope for a relationship where we'd both progress fast and get each other work - your genetics give you potential. I wouldn't pay to shoot you, because you haven't have learned any posing moves yet, so I'd have to spend several times the shoot time I would with an experienced model and work with you on getting those.

In your shoes, I'd watch those videos and practice like crazy for the next couple of weeks, then find a better photographer.

May 02 16 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

This Way Up gives some good feedback. When researching posing, learn about hand placement and how they work for and against a pose. Remember that modeling is acting…work on your emotional range of expressions. You are behind some sort of cage, so you could have brought an emotion of anger or longing as though you were trapped. Even if a photographer doesn't give you direction, consider some emotions of the situation. The lighting is acceptable in this photo, but I wouldn't say this shot is a stand out. This photograph shows that you worked with someone, but that's about it. You'll do well if you keep working at it.

May 02 16 08:54 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I think the lights were a little too bright, creating those hotspots on your face (photographer's problem, not yours), and I don't like how those bars intersect your face, both horizontally, and vertically, although I suspect since they line up so well on the nose, and across the lips, that this may have been intentional, just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather see the model's face, not a bar.

Interesting location, would like to see more of some kind of emotion projected here, there's no much of a connection between the model, and ... anything. smile

That's what I see,
Hope that helps!

May 04 16 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160501/12/57265f2b73cf7_m.jpg
The left side of the photo just seems too busy, those two big masses of metal at your right elbow and above are calling attention away from your face.
[Try a new perspective, cover the left side of the photo from between your right shoulder and right elbow, see how the attention is moved toward you?]
My preferred eye position is to have the model look where her nose is pointed, this will give you the most natural look, as it is you are showing a lot of white toward the camera. For me the fact you are obscuring your face with the metal bars is not a good thing.
Of your current images this is the strongest for now.

I wish you well

May 04 16 03:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kinah Imani

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Hello Everyone,

I am a make-up artist who just joined your site looking for feedback on my work. If you guys can stop y my page and let me know what you think ill appreciate it and will show the love back. I really want to know if theirs anything i need work on or if everything is good so far. Thank you in advance.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3904673

May 04 16 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Kinah Imani wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a make-up artist who just joined your site looking for feedback on my work. If you guys can stop y my page and let me know what you think ill appreciate it and will show the love back. I really want to know if theirs anything i need work on or if everything is good so far. Thank you in advance.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3904673

Kinah - you need to start a thread here of your own; call it something like "MUA needs critque".

May 06 16 04:18 am Link

Photographer

rich cirminello

Dallas, Texas, US

I like your look and think that as a first-day portfolio, yours is better than a lot of others.

Having said that, the advice given above is pretty good.
It's good that you have a bikini shot which shows your figure and skin, but it's obviously got some quality issues so you're going to want to replace that asap. I believe you've already been given a link which explains how to do 'polas.'

As for the other photos, well, they are not very good, but due to no fault of your own. The lighting or Photoshop work (or both) is kind of distracting in the two outdoor photos and the one in the cage suffers from a myriad of issues, many of which have already been pointed out.

I'm sure you joined MM to find people to work with, so now that you're here, get busy finding decent photographers. Look for ones with better quality images than what you currently have in your port and keep using the forums to get the info and critiques to keep you improving.

Welcome to MM and all the best!

May 11 16 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Profile shot-- photographer should rotate himself clockwise more so your at an angle. Move arms back more . With camera rotated more to right image can now be shot so only the hand of the far arm shows-  and it should be right about at the curve of the side of your body. Avoid 90 degree bends at elbows and wrist. With the camera and  photographer rotated clockwise more your chin and shoulders are now facing away from the lens but turn your eyes (as if something caught your attention )directly to viewer( do not turn chin and shoulders at the viewer.

May 24 16 12:26 am Link