Forums > Photography Talk > How to lock D800 setting to avoid accidental ...?

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

How to lock D800 setting to avoid accidental changes during the photoshoot?  Sorry, too lazy to RTFM... tongue. I don't use this function much, so i forgot smile

Camera: D800 E
Manual Setting and need to disable the menu and sub-menu dials.

Edited:  I meant the Main command dial and sub Main command dial. 

May 10 16 09:29 am Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

Ugh, I have asked the same thing about my Canon 5D3, my eyes are bad and three times during a shoot I have accidentally set my file size to jpeg from Camera RAW. It just about ruined the shoots. Good luck.

May 10 16 09:45 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

I have set the function button ( bottom left of lens mount as look at the front of the camera ) to act as shutter / aperture lock. Press the button and turn the respective dial and it locks the shutter speed / aperture. This only works in manual mode or, shutter lock in shutter priority / aperture lock in aperture priority. Unfortunately, if you change the lens the aperture lock turns off. I found out how to do this by reading the manual and, since I have neither manual or,camera to hand I cannot tell you how I did it.

I am not aware of being able to completely disable the control dials, it would be rather difficult to unlock them if you cannot use them .........

May 10 16 09:50 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'm not aware of any way to lock the menu nor the command dials on the D800E.

What did help me was a RRS L-plate on the body and a Camdapter leather hand strap.  The L part keeps my hand on it and not on the left body menu buttons, and the hand strap keeps me from gripping the area around the command dials unless I hold my hand on it to fire it.

Only locks seem to be the AE or AF locks.

May 10 16 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

GRMACK wrote:
I'm not aware of any way to lock the menu nor the command dials on the D800E.

What did help me was a RRS L-plate on the body and a Camdapter leather hand strap.  The L part keeps my hand on it and not on the left body menu buttons, and the hand strap keeps me from gripping the area around the command dials unless I hold my hand on it to fire it.

Only locks seem to be the AE or AF locks.

I just found this from DPreview forum, not sure if it will work?  I don't have the camera with me, so I will check it later. 

On my D800 in
Custom Setting Menu
f Control
Under the
f7: Shutter spd & aperture lock: you can set the Shutter Speed lock and Aperture Lock to ON or OFF independently.

Look for a similar Menu in your D750
If you notice the back thumb rest is molded with a ridge slightly higher than the Command Wheel and direct your thumb away in such a way to prevent accidental touching of that wheel. You really have to consciously do it

May 10 16 10:54 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Connor Photography wrote:
I just found this from DPreview forum, not sure if it will work?  I don't have the camera with me, so I will check it later. 

What you describe on the D800 is what I do but with it set as I posted above. I also used it on D700. Whenever I am in controlled lighting in the studio or at events I use it to lock exposure settings.

The D750 does not have the option, it is one of the differences between their 'professional' and 'prosumer' models.

May 10 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

photoimager wrote:
What you describe on the D800 is what I do but with it set as I posted above. I also used it on D700. Whenever I am in controlled lighting in the studio or at events I use it to lock exposure settings.

The D750 does not have the option, it is one of the differences between their 'professional' and 'prosumer' models.

My bad, I totally missed your post. sad I sincerely apologized.

May 10 16 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gustavo Escanelle

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

If you mean: lock your F stop and shutter button on top. you have to create a function (FUN) button, just go to
MENU/ F CONTROL

then go to F4 Assign FN Button: Note, some cameras may say different but just look for ASSIGN FN BUTTON
scroll down and look for Press + Command Dial
Scroll down and high light "SHUTTER SPD & Aperture Lock. hit OK
Now that button is assign to lock your shutter speed and F-Stop. It will never moved until it is unlock.

Now this is the fun part. The way it works is, Press that function button and scroll/dial either the F-Stop or shutter speed dial. You will see "L" on top of screen meaning that it is lock on either one. To unlock it Repeat above. This function is great when you are using the same F-Stop or Shutter speed and it will lock in its place.

Above function works on all three Nikon digit cameras meaning 800, 810, 750, etc....

On single Digit cameras, like the D3, D4, D5, buttons are already assigned.
Hope above information sounds simple.

Happy Shooting.

May 10 16 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I had that problem with my previous camera.  My updated camera has a button lock on the rotary dial.

May 10 16 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

g
affer tape

May 11 16 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

How are you accidentally manipulating them? Muscle memory usually eliminates such errors. If you switch frequently from portrait to landscape you could try a external grip that has an extra set of controls that are better placed for shooting vertically.

May 12 16 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Robb Mann wrote:
How are you accidentally manipulating them? Muscle memory usually eliminates such errors. If you switch frequently from portrait to landscape you could try a external grip that has an extra set of controls that are better placed for shooting vertically.

May be I just don't have the muscle memory like the real MM photographers here.  Who knows?  We all are different.  It does not mean that I am less capable than others.  smile

May 12 16 07:41 am Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Robb Mann wrote:

This happens to a lot of people.  I doubt Nikon would put the feature on its "pro" cameras unless a lot of pros had use for this feature.

May 21 16 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

p a o n e wrote:
gaffer tape

Yep, exactly. I keep a little piece stuck on the side of my camera. When I shoot flash (manual exposure mode) I set it to sync speed -- or whatever speed is appropriate if combining both flash and ambient -- then tape the thumb wheel. I had a couple of instances early on where I didn't tape the wheel down and ruined several frames before I figured out the problem. It's cheap, bulletproof, and you don't need the manual.

May 22 16 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Gustavo Escanelle wrote:
If you mean: lock your F stop and shutter button on top. you have to create a function (FUN) button, just go to
MENU/ F CONTROL

then go to F4 Assign FN Button: Note, some cameras may say different but just look for ASSIGN FN BUTTON
Now that button is assign to lock your shutter speed and F-Stop. It will never moved until it is unlock.

Now this is the fun part. The way it works is, Press that function button and scroll/dial either the F-Stop or shutter speed dial. You will see "L" on top of screen meaning that it is lock on either one. To unlock it Repeat above. This function is great when you are using the same F-Stop or Shutter speed and it will lock in its place.

Above function works on all three Nikon digit cameras meaning 800, 810, 750, etc....

Happy Shooting.

Does not seem to work for me... D750.

May 23 16 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Gustavo Escanelle wrote:
MENU/ F CONTROL

Happy Shooting.

Herman Surkis wrote:
Does not seem to work for me... D750.

It is not enabled on the D750.

D700, 800, 810, 3, 3S, 3X, 4, 4S, 5 & 500 have their 'pro' interface whereas D750 is the 'Prosumer' interface and the omission of this feature is one of the differences.

May 25 16 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

photoimager wrote:

It is not enabled on the D750.

D700, 800, 810, 3, 3S, 3X, 4, 4S, 5 & 500 have their 'pro' interface whereas D750 is the 'Prosumer' interface and the omission of this feature is one of the differences.

Typical Nikon.
The D750 is far better than the D700 I got rid of.
Simple firmware upgrade.
Simple hack?

May 25 16 03:23 pm Link