Forums > Photography Talk > Internship with no payment?

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

Any thoughts about internship with no payment? I thought they should give at least minimum wages for interns but in here, NYC, they don't even pay minimum wages. My first internship did not give any money at all. But why? How come? I really believe that interns deserve to have at minimum wages. But still, nobody never explained about this.

Any reasons or thoughts?

May 20 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

That's not an easy question to address.  I'm no expert but I know that different municipalities and different companies have different guidelines, rules, and laws regarding internships (and especially with regards to compensation).  I also believe that these rules change a lot.

When I worked for a Fortune 50 company, they had a lot of rules.  For example, we were expected to provide some training for the interns; they were not go-fors -- they had to be given "real" (albeit low priority) projects; each intern had a mentor; we organized social activities; etc.  YMMV.  I figure that unpaid internships are okay provided that the interns learn about the real work and not just how the managers like their coffee.

One manager had a perfect quote, regarding summer interns:

.                            "Summer Help, and some are not.".

May 20 16 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

There are a lot of potential legal issues if an unpaid intern should have been paid.  The following site gives more information, including the legal test as to whether or not payment is required.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm

May 20 16 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Assuming everything is 100% legal, an internship has a lot more requirements than a real job. In nys, an intern is supposed to be a 'bonus' employee. They're supposed to be assisting, and not replacing an employee. You don't get paid, because legally someone else is supposed to be doing most of the important work.

You've asked a lot of similar questions lately, and it's not my place to speculate why. But I will say it's a good thing you don't use your real name here, because potential employers might not like what they see.

Next time you have a similar question, you might want to research how the industry works before you assume something is wrong or unfair.

May 20 16 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Assuming everything is 100% legal, an internship has a lot more requirements than a real job. In nys, an intern is supposed to be a 'bonus' employee. They're supposed to be assisting, and not replacing an employee. You don't get paid, because legally someone else is supposed to be doing most of the important work.

You've asked a lot of similar questions lately, and it's not my place to speculate why. But I will say it's a good thing you don't use your real name here, because potential employers might not like what they see.

Next time you have a similar question, you might want to research how the industry works before you assume something is wrong or unfair.

Even I don't get payment, they expect too much things from interns. I learned that internship is about learning from my school. Also, the link show that internship is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment. How am I suppose to do that I don't even learn and know? Potential employers? Like it or not, many students who seek internship might have similar thoughts that I have. That's why I feel unfairness toward internship with no payment.

May 20 16 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am not a fan of the unpaid internship model for creatives. Legal or not, I believe it to be highly unethical.

People say it is the way things are done in the industry. They say that about every industry. There are regulations, laws, depending on the country and area. For example, in ontario they are generally illegal (side for ones that fall under the exceptions listed about the Employment Standards Act http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/article … s-act.html )

There are lots of technicalities regarding them. But for your purposes you don't really need to know all of that. You merely have to ask yourself: Is this a valuable gain in exchange for my time? What is the opportunity cost in pursuit of it/letting it go?

If you can figure that out, it saves you a lot of dry reading big_smile

If you are in school - perhaps ask your school if they do a co-op program.. at least where I went to university, they all got paid. Kind of like a test-run for the employer, to see if they like them or not. Generally they put you in a medley of different companies.. some people go to work for a fortune 500, some go for a mom and pop, some go away to the big city .. etc.

May 20 16 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Will the internship lead directly to a good paying job?

If the answer is not and emphatic "YES"... then an unpaid internship might not be a good idea.

The whole idea behind an unpaid internship is that you get experience that is so good from people that are the best at what they do... that you are almost 100% guaranteed a job when you leave.

If the photographer you are working under isn't well known and very busy within the industry you plan on working in... then being not paid for your time does not seem like a good trade.

= $0.02

May 20 16 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I still intern when I can in order to learn.

My personal story from a photo assistant standpoint but the lesson is the same- a while back I fanagled my way into a three day intern position with a photographer. Took three days off of work, drove to L.A., paid for my hotel and food out of my pocket, worked my motherfucking ass off for 12 hours each day. Was it worth it? Hell fucking yeah. Because it was an "A" list photographer (Mark Seliger) and we shot three stories for Italian Vogue and a campaign for BEBE. I learned SO MUCH in those three days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Think of it like music- if you are a guitar player, what would you do to be able to sit in and jam with your favorite artist? Of course that's at one end of the scale and Joe Beginner is at the other. The spots in between are variable and more than likely get muddled up when strict rules of gas money come into play.

May 21 16 12:53 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Mortonovich wrote:

My personal story from a photo assistant standpoint but the lesson is the same- a while back I fanagled my way into a three day intern position with a photographer. Took three days off of work, drove to L.A., paid for my hotel and food out of my pocket, worked my motherfucking ass off for 12 hours each day. Was it worth it? Hell fucking yeah. Because it was an "A" list photographer (Mark Seliger) and we shot three stories for Italian Vogue and a campaign for BEBE. I learned SO MUCH in those three days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

This to me seems that only sane answer. If the value of what the intern learns is higher than what he contributes, he shouldn't expect cash as well. Of course, often this is not a case and interns are used as free labour. But a rule that interns should always be paid would just destroy a lot of the better opportunities for internship. If you get an opportunity to learn more in a few days than a term of college, for free, then holding out for money as well would seem counterproductive.

May 21 16 04:46 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Zack Zoll wrote:

His profile links to his website with what seems to be his name and full contact details...

May 21 16 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

My suggestion is to decide what type of photography you want to do.  Then find someone you can either learn from and ask if they need an assistant (if even a 2nd or 3rd) or find respected teachers in the business and pay a few bucks to learn from them. 

Thousands of people want to be professional photographers.  Why?  I have no idea.  It usually doesn't become what they believe it will.  It's hard work.  It's ON DEMAND satisfaction work (for the client).  You have to please someone else with your work, not you.  And the competition is ridiculous.   And budgets these days are not what they use to be. 

And realize too.  You may want to try doing another type of photography you didn't think you would do just so you can make some money.  I started out as a commercial/advertising photographer.  Did very well when I started.  But things changed.  Digital came along.  A lot of the guys I either knew or worked with, and they had very large successful studios, got out about 10 years go.  I got into portraiture and found A LOT more work.  I also now do corporate events and work my ass off.  No, it's not what I started out as or even what I really love but I work all the time. 

If you can shoot a decent shot "on demand",  you can have your own business.  You don't have to be a great shooter.  Just a decent one.    Just learn the basics of starting a PHOTO business or work for a busy studio that hires freelancers.  Lots of them out out.

May 21 16 07:56 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i know you can find both paid and unpaid internships.  You just need to do what you need to do to bring yourself to the next level.  I use non paid interns and they usually have an appreciative attitude.  They just think it's real world education rather than they are getting abused.   I also believe that. 

Some of the better internships are non paying and very difficult to get.  Many photo studios are wary to hire interns even if they are free.  I hope you find one that will both be instructive and relationship building.   I make that the two priorities for my interns.

May 21 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ignoring whatever the local internship laws are, I'd suggest to the OP that the key to a successful unpaid internship is how much are you learning?

If you're not learning anything (while you're doing the "grunt" work), then yes you probably are being taking advantage of.  That's presuming that you're observant and in the right mindset to work hard and learn as much as possible.

There are some photographers that I'd quite happily polish their shoes all day just to quietly "watch and learn".  Is that "unpaid"? Well maybe not in cash but it's still invaluable.

May 21 16 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Grant you this is overly simplified and probably missing several giant holes concept but one possible way we could look at this.

Expectations of a paid assistant. - No real life of your own for scheduling convenience. Proper equipment packing and hauling with no back pain complaints ever. All knowledge of expected and requested stage setup with lights ready to go in a ball park expected settings. No interference with clients or models. Generally a fun person to hang with. Talent and attitude potential worthy of the photographers efforts. Willingness to scrub, vacuum or mop floors, paint walls, other duties as assigned just to shorten the list for reasonable forum needs. Edited to add NEVER DROPS OR BREAKS GEAR.- something I have historically failed at.

Expectations of an intern.
Hopefully they show up and are some point helpful and do not manage to hurt themselves.

You can often become the first part by being an intern.

May 21 16 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Solas wrote:
I am not a fan of the unpaid internship model for creatives. Legal or not, I believe it to be highly unethical.

People say it is the way things are done in the industry. They say that about every industry. There are regulations, laws, depending on the country and area. For example, in ontario they are generally illegal (side for ones that fall under the exceptions listed about the Employment Standards Act http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/article … s-act.html )

Ethics and laws are not the only reason why internships are unpaid. There is also the demand issue.

If a prestigious employer went to NYU and ICP looking for interns, they would find no shortage of talented, hard-working people willing to work for free. Why would they willingly pay someone when somebody just as good will do it for free?

If every talented employee demanded pay, internships would stop being free tomorrow - no laws would be necessary.

It's no different than complaining about GWCs cutting into your wedding business - aside from the fact that in this case, the people willing to work for free are just as good as the people that want pay.

Are you better than all the NYU, ICP, etc. students that will work for free? Can you show that to an employer?

If not, that's why you're not getting paid.

Face it mate - creatives are a dime a dozen. Some of us might be really good, but almost none of us are special.

May 21 16 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

On that same note I would add some old, but useful, advice that I was given:

- The world OWES you NOTHING.
    and related to that one is:  Life isn't fair, get used to it.

- People's interest in you is, usually, what can you do for them.

Make the most out of that reality.  If you don't, others will, so...

Good luck!

May 21 16 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Interning is not about making money, it's about getting real world work experience in a particular field. Your school has established relationships with many businesses willing to take on some interns and help further their education by providing on the job training. You may not be getting paid but they are not charging to teach you.

Sometimes places may offer a small stipend but that is not usually the case. You're in an Art/Photography school so when you take a break from crying the blues ask some culinary students how their internships are. Working with food chefs will have you working hard labor doing the dirty work at crazy hours of the night and mornings, and all for no pay. Life is rough in the big city and most all of us pay their dues.

But look at the positive side. Take advantage of the learning potential here, pay attention and work hard. The impressions you make on others can crush you or help send you to great places.

My niece worked hard in a city hospital as a speech pathologist for her internship with no pay. She is very bright and worked hard while she was there. Just after graduation she took on a pretty good job in her field. After about a year the hospital she had interned at called her because someone was retiring and they wanted her to work there. She took the hospital job because it paid much more money, had much bigger benefit and a retirement package. But wait, the first job asked if she could do some part time work, after work, a few days a week. She said OK. Her little part time after work job was paying her 30k a year. It's been six years and she's still going strong at both jobs.

Stop whining, roll up your sleeves and get to work. There's a long way to go still.

May 21 16 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

That's the right ethic.

Your skill set and CV, and thus earning potential, should just keep getting bigger and better until the day you retire, like a snowball rolling downhill.

And if you're really diligent and really lucky, that snowball will be large enough that after retirement it still gives you income from part time work, be it residuals, consulting fees, teaching, or writing.

Going to school isn't the end - you still need to run the same race as everyone else. Going to school just means that you get to start further ahead; the finish line is the same for everyone.

That's death. Death is the finish line.

May 21 16 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

GianCarlo Images wrote:
Interning is not about making money, it's about getting real world work experience in a particular field. Your school has established relationships with many businesses willing to take on some interns and help further their education by providing on the job training. You may not be getting paid but they are not charging to teach you.

Sometimes places may offer a small stipend but that is not usually the case. You're in an Art/Photography school so when you take a break from crying the blues ask some culinary students how their internships are. Working with food chefs will have you working hard labor doing the dirty work at crazy hours of the night and mornings, and all for no pay. Life is rough in the big city and most all of us pay their dues.

But look at the positive side. Take advantage of the learning potential here, pay attention and work hard. The impressions you make on others can crush you or help send you to great places.

My niece worked hard in a city hospital as a speech pathologist for her internship with no pay. She is very bright and worked hard while she was there. Just after graduation she took on a pretty good job in her field. After about a year the hospital she had interned at called her because someone was retiring and they wanted her to work there. She took the hospital job because it paid much more money, had much bigger benefit and a retirement package. But wait, the first job asked if she could do some part time work, after work, a few days a week. She said OK. Her little part time after work job was paying her 30k a year. It's been six years and she's still going strong at both jobs.

Stop whining, roll up your sleeves and get to work. There's a long way to go still.

That's what I thought but it wasn't. I did not learn anything from my first internship at all. Several photographers that I met also have same mind not to teach but treat like a slave. I don't expect too much but they expect too much from students for internship. At least, they must teach several things first before they work. I'm not just whining but also complaining about their attitude and manner toward interns.

May 21 16 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

skim165 wrote:
That's what I thought but it wasn't. I did not learn anything from my first internship at all. Several photographers that I met also have same mind not to teach but treat like a slave. I don't expect too much but they expect too much from students for internship. At least, they must teach several things first before they work. I'm not just whining but also complaining about their attitude and manner toward interns.

OK, but it is not just photographers, it is the way of every seasoned professional in any field or vocation that will run you crazy and tried. They are not in school they are in the real working world and are just not in the business of being gentle, kind, and patient like your school teachers.

These people who you feel may be mean and treat you like slaves may not be as mean as you think. You see many would never agree to taking on interns in the first place because they simply can't be bothered with them. Taking an intern means having to put up with the inexperienced.

You may be a bright and brilliant student but you are green, and that means slow and errors (normal) which will try their patience.

You may find yourself getting coffee and donuts for them at times but even that is part of the process. You may think you have not learned anything but you probably did. Try this, everyday when you leave school or the internship job ask yourself this question; did I learn anything today? What was it? Chances are you did but you just did not realize it. It may not seem so, or be so obvious but chances are you did.

In school you may have a project due date but you probably have ample time to do it. In the real world that time is a lot less. It's not a hobby, it's time equals money. Things have to get done right in the shortest amount of time. Mistakes equal lost time and lost time is not recoverable. It's about learning what to do, doing things right, fast, and without error. This takes time to learn and it takes ten years of experience in ANY field to become a true professional at something. It's just the way it is.

May 21 16 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Cash or credits - both are a form of payment.

That said it need to be a legit internship, with all that goes with it.  There are lot of tasks the sponsor has to do, spelled out by the university, that require a true commitment to providing an working education; if it's just a work for free and list it on your resume than move along.

May 21 16 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

thiswayup wrote:

This to me seems that only sane answer. If the value of what the intern learns is higher than what he contributes, he shouldn't expect cash as well. Of course, often this is not a case and interns are used as free labour. But a rule that interns should always be paid would just destroy a lot of the better opportunities for internship. If you get an opportunity to learn more in a few days than a term of college, for free, then holding out for money as well would seem counterproductive.

Exactly, and there's a range/transition too.

Look at the time periods before the internship and after.

Before, as a student, you're not only not getting paid, you're actually paying out of pocket. Then once you have a job, you're getting paid while you learn, even if it's only a new employee orientation. We document years of experience which is a way of quantifying  additional learning.

It makes sense that there would be a transitional stage where you're not so unknowledgeable that you should have to pay out of pocket, but still not knowledgable and experienced enough to be worth paying.

The reality is, interns are expensive. They require supervision and they can do a lot of damage.

I have a friend who, 15 years ago, was paying some of his employees $400/week. What he found is that they were consistently making mistakes that cost him another $400, so he decided there was no way around the $800/week and hired someone who wouldn't take less, but wouldn't make the mistakes. Plus, there was the cost in his time to redo the jobs they'd screwed up.

Sometimes a job has a particular value, but when someone isn't experienced enough to generate the value and causes losses, that ends up being a net zero situation.

Every intern I've had required so much work that they were not worth the effort. When I accept one, it's a form of giving back. I don't get anything out of it except whatever personal satisfaction there may be, and there's a huge risk.

I know someone else who requires a three year commitment from his "assistants".

I think what he ends up doing is having them intern for a year and then work for two. Instead of having them work for free for the first year, and pay for the second, he pays them for two years of work, but spreads it over three years of time.

That's probably a better solution for most people, but it's not realistic at most big companies.

May 21 16 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

skim165 wrote:

They are not there to teach you...you are there to learn.  If you are observant and have a good attitude you will learn lots.  Learning is not always about "being taught".  Take some responsibility for your learning and make the most of the opportunity you have to learn.

As others have said, the folks you're interning with are running a business.  They are not in the business of educating you.  If you can learn while you help that's good for them and for you.  Whether or not you learn enough to make the opportunity worthwhile is almost certainly up to YOU not them.  Remember that there is much more to learn about working as a photographer than "photography".

May 22 16 03:54 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I'm not sure why I get a weird vibe when you post.  I'm sorry you didn't learn anything.  You also need to ask your employer about the internship.  I had many that were both paid and not paid when I was a college student.  You have competition but you also need to evaluate the employer.  Good luck in the future.

May 22 16 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I would not encourage anyone to go seriously into debt for an internship, especially in NYC. However if you have living arrangements (parents/friends/relatives) that let you do it for little cost then it's worth considering, but have realistic goals about what you expect to get out of it.

May 22 16 04:51 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

Step 1: Read and understand the contract. If the terms aren't satisfactory to you, don't sign/proceed/etc. This goes anywhere in life actually. If you don't/can't understand the contract, get someone on your side who can help.

Step 2: Assume nothing, but consider that in at least some industries, interns get golden tickets for a job after college. Where I work (by day, I work in the tech industry in Redmond WA), an open headcount for my team got "stolen" because a prior intern applied for a job, and if they had good reviews during their time as an intern, they get a job PERIOD. The director who's maybe 3-4 levels above me managed to get approval for 6 headcount across his entire organization (upper management is being somewhat tight about hiring), and "out of the blue" 2 of those 6 got snagged for interns coming back, and landing on their old team, even if there was no requisition pending for that team. Consider the possibility of future job as "gambled compensation"; I was unemployed through the dot-com crash, and submitted 450 applications but only got calls on 2 of them, spanning 7 months. Almost comically, I was about to fall back on the commercial driver's license I got in college, and of the 2 applications I made to trucking companies, both called me back with 24 hours and followed up intensely. Just goes to show that if your industry isn't hiring, an ace in the hole (i.e. prior internship) can be a winner.

May 22 16 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i thought unpaid internships were now illegal? basically slave labor? but maybe it depends on where you are or maybe they aren't enforcing that.

seems like there are lots of industries where you have to pay your dues for free and basically get abused in order to have a chance of making it? hopefully when you make it life is good so the sacrifice will have seemed worthwhile.

but at some level unpaid internships seem like shooting photos for exposure or the possibility of future work. none of that pays your current bills. and you may or may not reach the promised land.

May 23 16 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Mortonovich wrote:

Think of it like music- if you are a guitar player, what would you do to be able to sit in and jam with your favorite artist? Of course that's at one end of the scale and Joe Beginner is at the other. The spots in between are variable and more than likely get muddled up when strict rules of gas money come into play.

I would pay airfare to LA, pay my way and work a week for free...  Some will see the benefit of this, some will not.

May 23 16 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

ontherocks wrote:
i thought unpaid internships were now illegal? basically slave labor? but maybe it depends on where you are or maybe they aren't enforcing that.

seems like there are lots of industries where you have to pay your dues for free and basically get abused in order to have a chance of making it? hopefully when you make it life is good so the sacrifice will have seemed worthwhile.

but at some level unpaid internships seem like shooting photos for exposure or the possibility of future work. none of that pays your current bills. and you may or may not reach the promised land.

It varies state to state, but the general rule is that if an intern is regularly asked to do something an employee would do - by themselves, not assisting or supervised - then they are acting as an employee, and must be paid.

Which means that if you have a 'legal' intern, you shouldn't be saving much money, if any. In theory your costs are the same, but you have much lower efficiency when the intern starts, and end with much higher efficiency at the end of the term.

May 23 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Sharfman Photography

Purcell, Oklahoma, US

I supervise an internship for credit program as part of my day job at a local university.  In this program students secure outside internships that when approved (and the deliverables are provided) provide them with class credit towards one of the degree programs for which I am responsible. I am very careful about approving programs as some aren't very valuable or are basically part-time, grunt jobs that have minimal learning.  That having been said, I am pretty familiar with the laws.  In general, unpaid internships are going away because there are too many concerns about them but at present they are not by definition illegal.  There was a famous case in LA where a movie company provided an unpaid film production internship to a student who had a background in accounting.  While the internship advertized that the student would learn about film making, all he did was accounting.  He and another intern sued Fox and the production company and won.  There have been other challenges both in terms of suits and fair labor complaints hence the reason that more companies are doing away with them.  The Department of Labor has identified (see https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm) criteria by which an internship can be unpaid so if the OP believes these were violated, then speaking to an attorney is in order.  However, it may simply have been a crappy internship where more due diligence prior to taking it might have been in order.  Hope this helps.

mark

May 23 16 09:56 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Most of the time you pay for an education.  Interning is a form of barter where you exchange your time for valuable knowledge and experience.  If the arrangement works for you and is beneficial, then do it.  If not, stop doing it.  We live in a land of choices.  If you feel strongly that this particular internship program is unethical and not helping people, then consider taking some real action.  Complaining about it on MM isn't going to change anything.

May 24 16 05:38 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

ontherocks wrote:

This comes from the viewpoint of internships being work as opposed to education.  I tend to think of them as "free" education rather than unpaid work.

May 24 16 06:03 am Link

Photographer

MJ McGuire

New York, New York, US

In New York it is illegal to use unpaid interns unless you are a registered nonprofit. All other entities are required to pay at least the NYS minimum wage, which is currently $9.00 per hour.

May 26 16 05:18 am Link

Photographer

MJ McGuire

New York, New York, US

May 26 16 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Mortonovich wrote:

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I would pay airfare to LA, pay my way and work a week for free...  Some will see the benefit of this, some will not.

And the difference could well be a sense of entitlement, these days - a situation that managers increasingly have to deal with.

May 26 16 07:44 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

ontherocks wrote:
i thought unpaid internships were now illegal? basically slave labor?

This isn't language I'd use. Slaves were not if asked they wanted to work for free for a few weeks in return for the chance at gaining some useful skills. A lot of people would - understandably and correctly - find this phrasing offensive, so I'd avoid it.

It also misses the other main point about internships, which is that in return for your work you're getting something you normally have to pay cash for - education.

May 26 16 07:52 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Managing Light wrote:
And the difference could well be a sense of entitlement, these days - a situation that managers increasingly have to deal with.

And it could be that managers are abusing the system too. In fact, it is probably both.

May 26 16 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

skim165 wrote:
Any thoughts about internship with no payment? I thought they should give at least minimum wages for interns but in here, NYC, they don't even pay minimum wages. My first internship did not give any money at all. But why? How come? I really believe that interns deserve to have at minimum wages. But still, nobody never explained about this.
Any reasons or thoughts?

From the official source, here's explanation and info regarding the rules in NY state, for paid/unpaid internships:

http://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/facts … s/p725.pdf

May 31 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

skim165 wrote:

Any reasons or thoughts?

Because they are cheap!  I think it is against the law not to pay (even for intern) if they are not non profit organization/business.  But if they are non profit organization, then I have no idea.

Few years back the doctor could take intern during the summer without paying.  The intern could get some training, etc.  However, that got stopped and now doctors aren't allowed to have intern unless the intern get paid.  In some way, that does makes sense to me.   A lot of companies not paying intern because they promise the intern that they might get hire by them or it is good for their career when they graduate etc.  A lot of companies were making empty promises.

Jun 02 16 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

it depends on the venue (the state in case of the usa). california has some special requirements like nyc.

1. they must get school credit or educational credit
2. it may not displace a normal employee's job
3. the intern must benefit and learn from the experience

if the employer/business just wants free labor and there is no benefit, pay nor credit given to the intern, they can contact the labor board.

Jun 02 16 09:09 pm Link