Forums > Model Colloquy > Bondage/fetish shoot advice

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I have shot significant shibari images and have worked with Matt Pang one of the top riggers in the country, who also teaches in Japan.

I know when I am shooting suspension images I usually have only 90 seconds to shoot them. Then the rigger steps in and the suspension is stopped and a different tie is created.

I should also add that the rigger was very involved and the models all had significant experience with Matt.  If they even commented their thumb felt cold the tie was immediately adjusted to relieve the pressure on the thumb.

Also some single ankle suspensions can be pretty tough. Your rigger should know your tolerance level and posing ability even when tied.

I would also say breast suspensions and crotch ropes are for extremely trained riggers and experienced models.  They should be approached with caution as injury could result.  I know that Matt would never do those.

Safe words were never needed because there was constant communication.  Is a safe word a bad idea.  No there is nothing wrong with a safe word

Usually "Red" and if they can't speak the shake the head back and forth 3 times

Unless the model is working beyond their abilities or its an extremely intense tie (which we're certainly not talking about for beginners) I can't think of any reason why you'd only have a minute and a half to shoot photos of a suspension. If its that dangerous or that painful it probably shouldn't be happening (unless its a particularly intense tie, like a hair suspension, which is certainly not run of the mill). I've spent over 30 minutes in comfortable suspensions with no issues.

Theres also nothing particularly advanced about crotch rope, unless its involved in a weight-bearing part of a suspension or predicament tie. The only thing inherently a problem with crotch rope is whether or not its been in someone elses crotch before yours, or if you're not a personal fan of it at all.

Aug 21 16 01:37 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

In my personal life when I'm playing/scening with partners? Sure

On set with a guy I met 10 minutes ago and we're doing gruelling work? Nah. Im definitely at a disadvantage in a number of ways. The resulting photos may look and feel empowering, but thats another matter.

I meant in a shoot as well.
I guess that depends on the people involved and experience level. But really, one should never go into a bondage shoot - or any kind of shoot - feeling at a disadvantage. Everyone will experience first-time jitters or maybe even feel a bit nervous when meeting/working with someone new but in the end, if there's a lack of trust or a definite feeling of unease, then the shoot shouldn't be happening.

For performances as well as shoots, all ties and rigging are predetermined and discussed. Sure, things are changed and added on the fly but again that only happens when I say it's OK.
So again, I wouldn't say I was ever at a disadvantage. I had all the power to change or end a shoot even though I may have had physical restraints on.

Aug 21 16 07:50 am Link