Forums > Model Colloquy > Just curious

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Why is the photography field male-dominated?

Just curious. lol

Jun 29 16 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Why is the modeling field female dominated?

Just curious.

Jun 29 16 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

Because it gives us an opportunity to indulge in two of men's favorite pastimes:  playing with nifty gadgets and looking at pretty girls.

Mark Salo wrote:

Just curious.

Because we like to look at pretty girls more than we like to look at pretty boys.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jun 29 16 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

My last photography class was female dominated

Jun 30 16 12:44 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

Maybe its just that you are only noticing things to support your beliefs?

A quick search on statistics brings up this:

http://fortune.com/2013/03/11/5-profess … -by-women/ says its 50/50 as of 2013

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-commun … aphers.htm

Jen

Jun 30 16 05:23 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Internet portfolio sites, such as MM, are male-dominated. They are not necessarily a reflection of the larger world.

The professional photographers I have met in the "real world" have frequently been women, or couples working together, who shoot things like weddings, babies and quinceañeras. One I know does food photography and corporate headshot photos.

A large portion of these people are shooting for business, and do not affiliate with the "modeling" culture online. If they actually need a model for some reason, it's generally through a commercial client who provides the model(s) and hair/make-up without any additional effort needed by the photographer him/herself.

Jun 30 16 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Because it gives us an opportunity to indulge in two of men's favorite pastimes:  playing with nifty gadgets and looking at pretty girls.

As usual, Ray's humble opinion is right on target.

Jun 30 16 05:53 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I don't think that the photography field in general is male dominated. The model photography field may be, at least in nude and glamour photography, but I actually know of a lot more portrait and event photographers who are female.

Jun 30 16 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have four photographers who I contract work out to and of the four, half of them are women. There are more women photographers out there than you might think.

Jun 30 16 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

There are more male photographers on MM probably because this seems to be mostly a glamour photography oriented site, I think outside of glamour there is a good percentage of photographers that are female. Most of my favorite photographers are female, they seem to have a different "take" on shooting women that I am fond of.

Jun 30 16 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

For the majority of the time I worked at a studio, I was the token male.

Jun 30 16 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

Lets look at this in another way. Why is the modeling industry dominated by women ?

Jul 01 16 05:45 am Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dekilah wrote:
The model photography field may be, at least in nude and glamour photography...

Yeah exactly. Why is THIS genre male-dominated?

Jul 01 16 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

DanninTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MM is in no way a reflection of the commercial world of photography.

Jul 01 16 02:55 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Yeah exactly. Why is THIS genre male-dominated?

Why is glamour photography male dominated? Well, likely because males are the consumers also.

Although boudoir photographers are also women so I think you are looking at a snapshot and tossing a blanket statement.
Jen

Jul 01 16 05:26 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I'm surprised at these statistics, I have definitely shot with a lot more men than women.

Perhaps in fashion there are more men and women would do more still nature or art photography...?

I just know that carrying all that gear can be very heavy and (I dont want to sound sexist) but in my experience you'll usually find more men than women in the field of technical/electronics.

Jul 02 16 11:05 am Link

Model

JuliaRabkin

Rochester, New York, US

That's not at all accurate.

Jul 02 16 11:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

sarah because of your height and extensive ink the likelihood of your collaborating with agency focused teams is remote... also your location Las Vegas, Nevada is certain not a major fashion market, not even a secondary one. And the fact that you've chosen to accept assignment which are with little if any wardrobe your "sample" group of photographers is biased heavily toward "Internet" glamour hobbyist.  As long as you are generating a healthy revenue stream and are not interested in any positions which would involve interfacing directly with children i.e. teaching in my humble opinion you have identified a viable market demographic and appreciate your savvy wisdom of choice here.

That said I'm rather pleased at the quality of thoughtful responses you've received on this thread, many being elegantly stated...  Thanks to all who have provided meaningful reflections here...

Personally in my market women are pretty much at parity with their male counterparts in commercial photography and in many genres excel and out number males... The classic is Commercial Family Portrait Studios in which the magic of a women's nurturing  presence brings a special gift to the set... Being on the same page with children is paramount in such environments...  btw, child portraiture has been the highest revenue generator in the US for the past decades and will likely remain so into the foreseeable future...  Keep in mind that oft times the photographer is the creative director on a shoot and this skill is way more important than operation of a capture device...

Another area in which women excel is in photographing wedding events, possibly the most important day in a women's life... I've assisted women wedding shooters and trust me they "get it" and are extremely sensitive to the needs and desires of the bride and most importantly the MOB who btw most often signs the check...

Moving on the beauty genre (a viable option for you Ms Tonin) again women excel here also likely because they "get it" In fact my Avatar was captured by one of the top togs in my market, Monica True who's work is an order of magnitude above what you might find on Mayhem... Monica passed through Mayhem like a hot knife through warm butter... after a few months of Mayhem silliness she moved on to work primarily with agency talent... Monica's creative direction skills are at the top of the industry... It is always a joy to be on her team...

As for Fashion? Nikon Ambassador Dixie Dixon is in a league of her own... Amazing fashion shooter of unbelievable worth and talent... One could fill a book with her magazine covers let alone her major campaigns...  Fashion? Sarah Silver who's fashion narratives are at the zenith of the industry...Ms. Silver's Client List is jaw dropping... And one of my Mayhem Favorite Fashion Shooters Melissa Rodwell who's visual statement is in totally harmony with mine... Ms Rodwell's Client List is to die for...

Looking back in time... Annie Leibovitz was a pivotal force behind the success of Rolling Stone Magazine as their go to staff photographer... Even today her editorial spreads grace countless pages of VOGUE... and let's not forget the ground breaking surreal works of Diana Arbus who's brilliant creative mind totally transcended the norms of her era...   

All the above while interesting does not mitigate the fact that camera manufacturers have carefully identified the "Johns" of their market...  Realizing guys fantasy of attracting alluring females with their camera have made males an easy prey for their marketing hype... Just visit Nikon, Canon etc web marketing efforts for high-end prosumer cameras and with little exception you'll see an handsome male model shooting an alluring feminine figure... silly boys and their toys... Yes we live in a consumer society where our persona can/does depend on the brand of are attire and/or accessories... Cameras are marketed as "Life Style" accessories to males...

Again many thanks to all who have contributed thoughtful input here... there is a maturity latent within this thread that is a welcome breath of fresh air... 

Hope this helps Ms. Tonin or is at least food for thought...
All the best on your journey...

Jul 04 16 08:30 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Over the years I have worked with a significant number of female photographers ranging from college students taking photography classes, to women with 40+ years experience and established studios with plenty of customers for things they can make a living doing like weddings, graduation and family photos. So I don't think it's correct the field is dominated by males.

Certain genres have more males active, definitely.  That would include fetish and erotic, and quite a bit of nude work as well. However, about half the photographers I have done nude work with in the past few years have been females and there are several examples of that currently in my portfolio.

Jul 04 16 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Because we like to look at pretty girls more than we like to look at pretty boys.

I couldn't say it better smile

Jul 04 16 09:52 am Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ArtistryImage wrote:

sarah because of your height and extensive ink the likelihood of your collaborating with agency focused teams is remote... also your location Las Vegas, Nevada is certain not a major fashion market, not even a secondary one. And the fact that you've chosen to accept assignment which are with little if any wardrobe your "sample" group of photographers is biased heavily toward "Internet" glamour hobbyist.  As long as you are generating a healthy revenue stream and are not interested in any positions which would involve interfacing directly with children i.e. teaching in my humble opinion you have identified a viable market demographic and appreciate your savvy wisdom of choice here.

That said I'm rather pleased at the quality of thoughtful responses you've received on this thread, many being elegantly stated...  Thanks to all who have provided meaningful reflections here...

Personally in my market women are pretty much at parity with their male counterparts in commercial photography and in many genres excel and out number males... The classic is Commercial Family Portrait Studios in which the magic of a women's nurturing  presence brings a special gift to the set... Being on the same page with children is paramount in such environments...  btw, child portraiture has been the highest revenue generator in the US for the past decades and will likely remain so into the foreseeable future...  Keep in mind that oft times the photographer is the creative director on a shoot and this skill is way more important than operation of a capture device...

Another area in which women excel is in photographing wedding events, possibly the most important day in a women's life... I've assisted women wedding shooters and trust me they "get it" and are extremely sensitive to the needs and desires of the bride and most importantly the MOB who btw most often signs the check...

Moving on the beauty genre (a viable option for you Ms Tonin) again women excel here also likely because they "get it" In fact my Avatar was captured by one of the top togs in my market, Monica True who's work is an order of magnitude above what you might find on Mayhem... Monica passed through Mayhem like a hot knife through warm butter... after a few months of Mayhem silliness she moved on to work primarily with agency talent... Monica's creative direction skills are at the top of the industry... It is always a joy to be on her team...

As for Fashion? Nikon Ambassador Dixie Dixon is in a league of her own... Amazing fashion shooter of unbelievable worth and talent... One could fill a book with her magazine covers let alone her major campaigns...  Fashion? Sarah Silver who's fashion narratives are at the zenith of the industry...Ms. Silver's Client List is jaw dropping... And one of my Mayhem Favorite Fashion Shooters Melissa Rodwell who's visual statement is in totally harmony with mine... Ms Rodwell's Client List is to die for...

Looking back in time... Annie Leibovitz was a pivotal force behind the success of Rolling Stone Magazine as their go to staff photographer... Even today her editorial spreads grace countless pages of VOGUE... and let's not forget the ground breaking surreal works of Diana Arbus who's brilliant creative mind totally transcended the norms of her era...   

All the above while interesting does not mitigate the fact that camera manufacturers have carefully identified the "Johns" of their market...  Realizing guys fantasy of attracting alluring females with their camera have made males an easy prey for their marketing hype... Just visit Nikon, Canon etc web marketing efforts for high-end prosumer cameras and with little exception you'll see an handsome male model shooting an alluring feminine figure... silly boys and their toys... Yes we live in a consumer society where our persona can/does depend on the brand of are attire and/or accessories... Cameras are marketed as "Life Style" accessories to males...

Again many thanks to all who have contributed thoughtful input here... there is a maturity latent within this thread that is a welcome breath of fresh air... 

IMO, they beat some male photographers because they take"pictures for women" and have nothing to do with their skills or image quality.

Jul 04 16 10:09 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I think it also depends on your definition of dominated. For glamour and nude, there are definitely more male photographers, but, in my experience, I get images I personally like better and see as a higher quality more often, if I average out my shoots, from female photographers. That's not at all to say that I don't work with some great male photographers too, but female photographers as a group seem to get me "better" photos more consistently. So if we're talking average quality within a genre, I think female photographers are right there with the guys if not above in some areas, at least.

Jul 05 16 08:52 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

One of my very favorite nude photographs was taken by a woman, Judy Dater-- the one of Imogen Cunningham looking at the model Twinka, who is leaning against a tree. Dater also has some magnificent self-shots.

Jul 05 16 06:43 pm Link

Model

JuliaRabkin

Rochester, New York, US

ArtistryImage wrote:

+1

Also... I just graduated from RIT where the overwhelming amount of photography students were women.

Jul 07 16 08:59 am Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

this may be just my area but a lot of the female photogs i know about don't work with models as much as they do clients (weddings, senior portraits, etc.) so I don't notice them as much as a male photographer who shoots models as a hobby and would run in my circles.

Jul 07 16 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

model shooting may seem to be male-dominated but in the wild (babies, senior pictures, family photos, weddings, boudoir, food) i think there are a lot of female photographers (all with dragonfly logos).

even with model shooting quite a few female models are also photographers. there have been some nice sets on zivity from female photographers (plus on zivity models can do self-shot sets).

but it may simply be that men get more excited about shooting women than women do. plus we can brag to our male photographer friends about the models we've shot and show off our "work".

Jul 09 16 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

As with many fields, years ago there was sexism and gender discrimination.

Jul 21 16 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Just curious. lol

Male mid-life crisis.

Jul 21 16 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:
I just know that carrying all that gear can be very heavy and (I dont want to sound sexist) but in my experience you'll usually find more men than women in the field of technical/electronics.

I'm in the process of changing to micro four thirds because of the weight factor.

Jul 21 16 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

sarah tonin wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:

My theories, which have not been tested.

1)  Females have evolved to attract males.  Ideally, the males will fight over a desirable female with the fittest male winning (by whatever appropriate definition of "fittest', be it richest, the best provider, the strongest, the best leader, the rock band drummer, whatever.  Thus, men have evolved to look and women have evolved to be attractive.  Hence, many (most?) photographers are male and many (most?) models are female.

2)  Females tend to be emotive and very attuned the their bodies.  They just seem to appreciate their bodies more -- hence, yoga instructors tend to be female dominated.  Men tend to be more attuned to observation, in many cases to an obsessive extreme.  For example, in olden times, men would mark the path of a shadow on the wall throughout the year, and from this data postulate that the earth revolved around the sun and would be able to predict sunrise & sunset for any day of the year at any longitude & latitude (information essential for navigating in the open seas).

3)  Men like complicated gadgets, like camera.  They get pleasure from hearing & feeling precision mechanisms working.

4)  I dunno.

tongue

Jul 21 16 07:39 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

I think it's probably 50/50 male and female photogs but you're going to see more male photogs seeking female models on sites like MM if you happen to be a female model on a site like MM. Lol.

Jul 24 16 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Samanta B

London, England, United Kingdom

I always wonder this! Us girls are outnumbered 50 to 1 on this site!

And the whole catty girl thing is also entirely reversed on this site - the ladies are all supportive of other creatives and a lot of the males (photogs) are ridiculously bitchy…

The crazy world of MM!

Jul 25 16 04:56 am Link