Forums > General Industry > Getting Models to respond

Photographer

Saitama

New York, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Not true at all.  The communications tools on Facebook run circles around Modelmayhem.  If I find someone here that I'd like to shoot with, I try to get their Facebook link so that we can communicate there.  The only problem with Facebook is you've got to be careful where you post nudes.  Both Facebook and Instagram are FREE and UNLIMITED on the number of images you can post.  More people use Facebook, and Instagram. 

I have noticed that casting calls and sending messages on Modelmayhem is hit and miss, mostly miss when many models don't log in for months at a time.

Yes, better communication tools, but this doesn't magically mean the model will suddenly develop better communication tools as well.   Ignoring messages isn't something exclusive to MM.  This has to do with each individual. 

Naughty Ties wrote:
I guess I'm backwards because I seldom have a problem with models responding to messages, which is great but what I have are issues in the reverse. I'll have models contact me about shooting, express what seems to be serious interest, we'll exhange information and are on the verge of booking when  *POOF*...they stop responding completely. WTF. Not like I solicited them, my time is taken up and then nothing. Like being catfished.  Uggggg......

I've never been contacted so I don't have this problem, lol.

Sep 13 16 02:34 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Naughty Ties wrote:
I guess I'm backwards because I seldom have a problem with models responding to messages, which is great but what I have are issues in the reverse. I'll have models contact me about shooting, express what seems to be serious interest, we'll exhange information and are on the verge of booking when  *POOF*...they stop responding completely. WTF. Not like I solicited them, my time is taken up and then nothing. Like being catfished.  Uggggg......

A photographer friend of mine expressed the same exact thing.

Sep 13 16 03:17 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

No response IS a response.  If you contact a model and they do not respond then they are not interested.  Keep looking.

Sep 13 16 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Saitama

New York, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Not true at all.  The communications tools on Facebook run circles around Modelmayhem.  If I find someone here that I'd like to shoot with, I try to get their Facebook link so that we can communicate there.  The only problem with Facebook is you've got to be careful where you post nudes.  Both Facebook and Instagram are FREE and UNLIMITED on the number of images you can post.  More people use Facebook, and Instagram. 

I have noticed that casting calls and sending messages on Modelmayhem is hit and miss, mostly miss when many models don't log in for months at a time.

I just want to add that I've had fb friends and ppl i know flake on me to shoot.  Forget about complete strangers forgetting to contact you or never responding.

Sep 13 16 04:25 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I can't say too much here, without it starting to sound like a critique, but as a retired model, I'll comment:

If you sent me a message, I'd review your photos and see opportunities for my own portfolio-building (and would likely do trade with you, since there is technical skill present in your port) BUT only if that included an interesting location to shoot in, and willingness to split the cost of an MUA. I'd respond by asking what sort of location/props you had available - and were you open to shooting some of my ideas, which tend to be fairly specific. I'd lay out a few ideas, and make my decision based on how engaged you seemed in being willing to shoot a variety of ideas, and how well those ideas would be translated into imagery. If we could find common ground, in terms of share ideas, even better.

If you responded with an answer I felt would exclude me creatively, such as, "We will be shooting traditional figure poses on a seamless in my studio. That is what I want to shoot," then I'd quote you a rate and expect to be paid, because that content is boring to me, after a decade of shooting it. And the shoot would be all about your needs, and alienating creatively for the model. If you responded with that answer, then refused to consider a payment compensation, I'd simply not respond to further messages from you. No use. Nothing in it for both parties,as it would be one-sided.

Many photographers only have their own creative interests in mind when contacting models, then feel frustrated when response rates are low.

Sep 13 16 05:53 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Koryn wrote:
(snippet)

If you responded with an answer I felt would exclude me creatively, such as, "We will be shooting traditional figure poses on a seamless in my studio. That is what I want to shoot," then I'd quote you a rate and expect to be paid, because that content is boring to me, after a decade of shooting it. And the shoot would be all about your needs, and alienating creatively for the model. If you responded with that answer, then refused to consider a payment compensation, I'd simply not respond to further messages from you. No use. Nothing in it for both parties,as it would be one-sided.

Many photographers only have their own creative interests in mind when contacting models, then feel frustrated when response rates are low.

This is a good point, whether the shoot is paid or trade.

On the flip side, Models who are interested in collaborating with me and are excited to bring their own ideas to the table are awesome. We shoot a little for me, we shoot for her, and in the end, it's all for the both of us anyway. I think sometimes being too specific with messages and castings can come across as sounding inflexible. Ok, well my current one probably sounds that way lol, but I have no complaints.

Even when I've paid models in the past, I was looking for someone enthusiastic and willing to work together. It was obvious that one just came for the paycheck. Shattered my illusion at the time, that paying an experienced model ensured great images.

I don't know how the OP's messages were worded and I didn't look at his port, so can't comment on those.

Sep 13 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Keith Payne Photography wrote:
I have not been contacting models for paid shoots that long. But I have noticed that
I have sent emails that I get no responses.  When I send out an email I do include info on the session request models rate of pay... ect

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Or do I need more experience?

Also suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks

I think I've only solicited models through castings, at least when I wanted to hire one. Can't remember, but I imagine that if I did, it would go something like this.

-------------------------------------

Subject: Hi ModelXX !

Love your work. Please let me know if you'd be interested in shooting. You mentioned $75/hr with 2 hour minimum in your profile, that sounds great and I'd like to do 2 hours. How are your makeup skills? Here's a link to some concepts that I'd want to shoot, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them also.

My studio is in Hollywood. Anyway let me know if you're interested and we'll go from there.

Thanks!
Chad

Phone
Website Link
Social Media Link

-------------------------------------

Ok so basically pretty casual with a few reference images. I save the more detailed stuff for later conversations, but it really doesn't have to go much further than that, aside from making sure the model is comfortable shooting what you're looking for.

I've found that I had to be very specific when casting/hiring models for nude, partially nude or risqué looks. It's good to get that out in the open so you don't waste each other's time.

I once collaborated with a model who said she was comfortable with a sheer or semi-sheer top, no bra, when I asked. She showed up at the beach wearing a sheer shirt and bikini top underneath. Ok well it wasn't a bra.

As weird as it may sound, I now clarify my ideas using images AND descriptions that nipples would be visible, side boob or whatever. Not in a creepy way or worded like that, but you get the idea.

Be specific when needed. I think you can work toward a good blend of causal yet professional, with enough details to gauge interest. If a model is interested, then go from there.

Just my approach, and not necessarily the best one for anyone to take.

Some models will reduce their rate if they like your work. Or collaborate. When I was getting serious about photography, I put up some paid castings in hopes of attracting more experienced models, offering a small amount as pay. I ended up working with a couple of great agency models and some other experienced girls. I mean, it probably ended up being enough to cover gas + a couple of meals, but I'm guessing they either liked my work, or were happy to earn a few extra bucks on a weekend. I knew it wasn't much, and said so in the casting.

You never know what's going to work. Try a different approach. Remain upbeat and enthusiastic. Offer images and collaborate on ideas.

You don't need everyone to respond. You just need the right people to.

Sep 13 16 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:
No response IS a response.  If you contact a model and they do not respond then they are not interested.  Keep looking.

Actually, no it's not.  Not getting a response is a non-response.   A non-repose does not mean non interest.  It could be the model never received the message or failed to read it.  It could be the model sent a reply but for some reason, you never received it.  It could be the model has passed away (sadly that happened to me once).  A non-reply is not a reply and there are many possible reasons why one may not have received a reply.

Sep 13 16 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Abbitt Photography is on point.   No reply could mean multiple things.   Models do themselves no favors but not replying.   Models if you don't want to work with the person say you're busy or you will keep them in mind but reply.

Sep 13 16 04:24 pm Link