Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 17-40 L vs, Sigma 17-50 2.8?

Photographer

LR Photo Designworks

Sussex, New Jersey, US

If you had to pick one of these 2 lenses for an every day walk around lens which one would you pick? The Canon 17-40 L f/4 USM or the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD?

Jul 26 16 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i have gotten a lot more use out of my 17-40 than i expected. it was a nice walkabout lens for the wife on my 30D (crop). and on my full-frame bodies it provides some nice wide angle shooting.

i've shot almost the entire wedding reception with a 17-40 (full frame), not to mention wedding formals and also some other types of events like graduations (where i will suddenly need a wide angle option for a group).

with my 6D i can crank ISO so i don't miss f2.8 so much. and i'm not a big fan of image stabilization. but i haven't tried the other lens you mentioned.

Jul 26 16 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Several years ago, i would have said buy the Sigma. Today, not so much.

For starters, f/2.8 doesn't mean as much as it used to. It's still better than 4, but it's not the gulf it once was, now that every camera made in the last several years makes a good 5x7 at 800 ISO or better.

Second, the rising number of FF shooters means that even if you never buy one yourself, the 17-40 is going to hold value much better, and the difference will only increase as time goes on. It's going to be a LOT easier to swap the Canon for the Sigma in a year if you change your mind than the other way round.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now you could swap the Canon for two Sigmas, and even get them to throw in a little cash as well.

The only reason I'd pick the Sigma today is if you wanted shallow DOF and multiple focal lengths, and you didn't want to change lenses.

Or if they were both used. You can buy a used copy of that lens damn cheap.

Jul 26 16 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Pinup Fantasies

HIXSON, Tennessee, US

I haven't used the Sigma, but I have the found the 17-40 to be incredibly sharp. It's certainly a bargain in the "L" series.

Jul 27 16 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've used the Sigma 17-50 for about 2 years and I'm pleased with it.

Jul 27 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Depends on which Canon lens you are talking about. IMHO, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens is the best but if you are talking about the initial version of this Canon lens, I'd go with the Sigma.

Jul 27 16 08:55 pm Link