Forums > General Industry > Picture Interaction Rates

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
Maybe to some that's a double edged sword but to me, I'd much rather browse 1 million participants than 1000!!!! Just me.

Except that MM may have 1 million members, but they aren't participants.

355,000 have logged in in the past year.
274,000 in the past 6 months
205,000 in the past 3 months
128,000 in the past month
90,000 in the past 2 weeks
67,000 in the past week

Sep 07 16 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

I've noticed definitely a decline in new members in the last months. I check the NYC area so not 100% sure about how widespread this is, but I'd assume NYC to be a good representation.

Maybe it was me but time ago my search's default switched from "New to MM" to "Last Activity" by itself. The latter gives an impression of more vivacity, but maybe I'm just imagining conspiracies?

I've started recently to participate in the fora so I don't have a sense about trends here, but they surely feel slow compared to other sites.

Personally, I preferred the old homepage as well but also agree that the site looks quite dated and managing a big portfolio is a nightmare (now, I am not advocating having big portfolios and I am an offender, but that's a different topic smile )

Months ago, right after moving to the US, I joined IG since on my first shoot the stylist and HMUA told me that "no one would know me otherwise" smile Now IG and my own website are the first places where I post new photos. FB, TW, MM and other places come after and are becoming more and more cumbersome. I am sure that soon something new will replace IG as well smile

I find MM still useful to fill up a team when needed. In that case I prefer targeted PMs to specific people rather than castings given the amount of people that apply even if they do not fulfill the requirements.

BTW, retouchers' friend requests keep unabated smile

Sep 08 16 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

MFJ Photography LLC

Durham, North Carolina, US

I've only been a member since the beginning of 2016, so I certainly can't speak to general participation trends over time.  But, I've noticed the winning Picture of the Day often seems to get only around 25 votes.  The runner-up photos get even fewer.  The 18+ female contest gets about double those votes and the 18+ male contest gets 3-4 times, but we're still talking about 50-90 votes for the winner.  I take that as a pretty low participation rate overall and also conclude, Surprise!, sex sells ;-)

Sep 08 16 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

IDK...

I'm a shooter so I don't expect a lot of people to see my stuff  here and really..couldn't care less anyway..

the MM portfolio is so that potential models can see I know what end of the camera to point at them

that's all

I get way more views and comments from 500px , Eyeem.com or Flickr

which is also where I browse pix

Sep 12 16 11:29 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Roberto De Micheli wrote:
my search's default switched from "New to MM" to "Last Activity" by itself. The latter gives an impression of more vivacity, but maybe I'm just imagining conspiracies?

that's just how it orders the search..same number will be returned...  it's the 'last # or days' that changes things

Sep 12 16 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

goofus  wrote:
that's just how it orders the search..same number will be returned...  it's the 'last # or days' that changes things

Hmmm?
If I search day after day with "New to MM" set and I see always the same faces on the first page, it means no one new has joined MM in the area I am searching for for the type of profile I am searching for (e.g. models in NY). If I do the same search with "Last Activity" the list will change every day giving the impression of a more dynamic community.
I am not saying that the results would differ, just that
a) the different ordering gives a different impression and
b) time ago I set my search to "New to MM" (because that was what I wanted to do) and recently it has switched to "Last Activity" by default, without me doing anything in the search page

Sep 12 16 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Are we looking at the right measures?  What do you care about?  If you get a zillion likes on an Instagram, that might be nice for the ego but what does it accomplish?  I admit, I have very modest goals here:  I am on MM as a figure photographer and I shoot when I have the time, which certainly isn't every day.  And I can find more than enough models to keep me as busy as I want to be.  So maybe this or that activity is down, but does it make a difference?  (Maybe it does make a difference to something important, but that is what you should pay attention to.)  And about the forums:  i have over the last decade photographed probably 70 models from MM and I think one of them posted on the forums.  And if I follow up about a message that wasn't answered the model will apologize, saying she gets 50 emails a day.  I get a couple a year.  But neither of those numbers translate into anything that I or the model care about.

Sep 12 16 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Warren

Houston, Texas, US

I've noticed a large fall off in new models.  Everyone is sending me FB friend requests or like requests - depending on what type of page they have for modeling.

Sep 16 16 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

Since joining, I'll make "comment for comment" announcements on the home page. About a year ago, I took a 6-8 month break from doing this. When starting back up again, I noticed an enormous difference in traffic. The decline has been drastic. After posting an announcement, I'll refresh the page after a minute or so. A year ago, my announcement would be replaced by new announcements and pushed from the home page within that minute. Now it's easy to have double announcements on the home page in a 10 minute period. MM has turned into a ghost town.

It must be me, but I can't stand Facebook. The interface is gawd awful…links everywhere with little coherence. MM is antiquated, but at least I know which buttons to click on. Sounds like Instagram is where the action is.

Sep 16 16 10:56 am Link