Forums > General Industry > Has anyone heard of this organization?

Photographer

Charlie Webb

Anniston, Alabama, US

A friend of mine was recently contacted by a company called MASmidwest inviting her to apply to become one of the models in their agency.  I looked at their page and contacted them for information.  They responded and things don't look bad.  They are not asking for any fees or any contracts.  And no, they are not wanting to send a check to be cashed and the rest forwarded to any third parties.  Seriously though I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with them. If so what was your experience.

Sep 18 16 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

I don't know, what gets me is they have models in foreign countries. Some of their stuff does check out but still..
https://67.media.tumblr.com/9a5e369546980b2e2cb8ec4abd74a315/tumblr_njsl46YR7T1shyusgo1_500.gif

Sep 18 16 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Quite frankly it appears to be more of a networking site (like MM) than any kind of real agency.

I doubt many of the high fashion images that are being displayed have been shot by them or any of the associated photographers.

Sep 18 16 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Firefox 48.0 reports:
"The owner of www.masmidwest.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

Sep 19 16 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
I doubt many of the high fashion images that are being displayed have been shot by them or any of the associated photographers.

Look familiar?

http://www.templatemonster.com/wordpres … .html#gref

Sep 19 16 11:08 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Charlie Webb wrote:
A friend of mine was recently contacted by a company called MASmidwest inviting her to apply to become one of the models in their agency.  I looked at their page and contacted them for information.  They responded and things don't look bad.  They are not asking for any fees or any contracts.  And no, they are not wanting to send a check to be cashed and the rest forwarded to any third parties.  Seriously though I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with them. If so what was your experience.

I saw nothing on their web site that stated they are an agency. You can double check by asking them for their state registration number (most states require this). This is why there are so many "Model Managers" who skirt the agency restrictions. You can also check with the Better Business Bureau. You could try contacting a few of the models directly that are on their site. I agree that they appear to be a service much like OMP and MM.

Sep 20 16 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MikeW wrote:
...You can also check with the Better Business Bureau.....

The BBB is often clueless when it comes to these matters.
The BBB is NOT a gov't or law enforcement agency.  It's a privately operated 'club'.
The BBB is known for giving positive results to people that pay them.
Each BBB office is independently operated. Companies that have bad reviews by one BBB office may get an excellent rating by another.

In my area the BBB has consistently given a known scammer positive rankings even though that agency has had more complaints filed against it than all other local agencies combined.

DO NOT TRUST THE BBB!

Terror Group Gets 'A' Rating From Better Business Bureau?
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business- … d=12123843

Sep 21 16 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Looks like a bunch of photographers started a website/"agency" trying to promote themselves for paid gigs. The models don't have portfolios, just a "contact" button which is a link to the website contact form.

I'd say it's a small-time model management "agency" focusing on the internet modeling "market."

Sep 21 16 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

The BBB is NOT a gov't or law enforcement agency.  It's a privately operated 'club'.
Each BBB office is independently operated. Companies that have bad reviews by one BBB office may get an excellent rating by another.

In my area the BBB has consistently given a known scammer positive rankings even though that agency has had more complaints filed against it than all other local agencies combined.

DO NOT TRUST THE BBB!

Yes, yes, yes, to all that. BBB itself is a scammer. Ever notice the way how they sell their membership?

Sep 21 16 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

DO NOT TRUST THE BBB!

Bravo! So true! In SoCal there have been major scandals involving BBB crookedness.

Sep 24 16 05:19 pm Link