Forums > Critique > New Looking for Critique

Photographer

Mark Smith Photography

Vero Beach, Florida, US

I am new here and looking for other points of view on the few images I have posted. I have been taking pictures my entire life never really paying much attention to anything other than pushing the shutter button. A few years ago I started to dive in an soak up as much info as possible on shooting outdoors. I love every second of it!

I have been fortunate enough to get some great landscapes and wildlife shots. I even scored a magazine cover! Yay for me. I just recently started taking pictures of human beings. I am lucky enough to have a beautiful wife who is open to me constantly bugging her to get outside and let me take some photos. She is my practice model and I love taking photos of her.

I am just curious to see what others think of the few images I have uploaded of her, bad and good. All images were done in natural light with no hair or makeup. Just the two of us out in the middle of nowhere having fun!

Sep 19 16 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You're lucky to have a willing subject and she's pretty.   A few tips.   Grab a reflector.   If you don't have one the sun protectors sold at auto parts stores is okay.   Use a tripod or light stand to hold it and bring the harsh shadows down.   In general I find late afternoons or very early to shoot.   Your wife is lovely.   I'd treat her to a make-over at the mall.   Cosmetic counters will do free work when you buy a product.   Then buy her a few nice dresses.   If money is tight I've found cool things at thrift stores.   Women often have a better feel for color and styles.   

When you drive around take notice of unique or beautiful locations.   I like your landscapes and wildlife work.   Composition is as important there as with people.   Remember the rule of thirds.   Its difficult to judge you work now because there isn't much to see but in general its best to only use the best of a group but you are just starting.   Here's where your wife can help.   Does she have friends?    Look for more places to shoot.   Try more full length shots.   The one you did of her from a distance is nice.

Sep 19 16 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Smith Photography

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
You're lucky to have a willing subject and she's pretty.   A few tips.   Grab a reflector.   If you don't have one the sun protectors sold at auto parts stores is okay.   Use a tripod or light stand to hold it and bring the harsh shadows down.   In general I find late afternoons or very early to shoot.   Your wife is lovely.   I'd treat her to a make-over at the mall.   Cosmetic counters will do free work when you buy a product.   Then buy her a few nice dresses.   If money is tight I've found cool things at thrift stores.   Women often have a better feel for color and styles.   

When you drive around take notice of unique or beautiful locations.   I like your landscapes and wildlife work.   Composition is as important there as with people.   Remember the rule of thirds.   Its difficult to judge you work now because there isn't much to see but in general its best to only use the best of a group but you are just starting.   Here's where your wife can help.   Does she have friends?    Look for more places to shoot.   Try more full length shots.   The one you did of her from a distance is nice.

Thanks so much for the advice! I was looking at a reflector on Amazon to soften the light. I have my eye on a 40x60 one. The only shot I did later in the day was the one shot of her face where only half is lit. She definitely has a better feel for color and style and loves thrift stores. Giving an excuse to go shopping won't be a problem.

I know most people don't like shadows, but they really draw me in and leave a little to the imagination. I tend to like darker images with more shadows I guess.

She's not really into make-up and I can't say I am either but I will see what she says about the makeover thing.  I have taken hundred of pictures of her and only picked the ones that I thought were the best but I am extremely biased. Thank you for taking the time to look over my photos and give me advice. I really appreciate it.

Sep 19 16 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

You've got some basics down, good framing (though be careful as far as cutting off fingers and what not), solid color contrast...your experience as a landscape photographer shows there.

My biggest critique would just be trying to shape your light a bit more. She's got some very harsh, unflattering shadows on her face, it can work sometimes but in my opinion it doesn't here. It looks unintentional and kind of sloppy (except the one where it splits her face in half...but I think that'd look better with her face lit evenly)

The winter shot is nice but she sort of gets lost in the frame and the busyness of the branches. Tightening the frame/zooming in on her a bit would fix that...both by filling the frame more with her and by softening the focus of the branches in the foreground and background more.

Sep 24 16 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Smith Photography

Vero Beach, Florida, US

First, I have to say I love the name, Sounds really familiar. Thanks for the tips. I am practicing with light now. Finally got my hands on a good reflector. Now I just need to convince my wife to go out let me take another thousand photographs of her!

Mark C Smith wrote:
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

You've got some basics down, good framing (though be careful as far as cutting off fingers and what not), solid color contrast...your experience as a landscape photographer shows there.

My biggest critique would just be trying to shape your light a bit more. She's got some very harsh, unflattering shadows on her face, it can work sometimes but in my opinion it doesn't here. It looks unintentional and kind of sloppy (except the one where it splits her face in half...but I think that'd look better with her face lit evenly)

The winter shot is nice but she sort of gets lost in the frame and the busyness of the branches. Tightening the frame/zooming in on her a bit would fix that...both by filling the frame more with her and by softening the focus of the branches in the foreground and background more.

Sep 26 16 04:37 pm Link