roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

https://www.dpreview.com/news/585530036 … bilization

Competition for 5D Mk IV and/or D810 ??

Sep 22 16 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If this camera had a way to use Nikon or Canon lenses on it.......

But as a stand alone with only Sony or Zeiss lenses????

Sep 22 16 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

roger alan wrote:

Technically, yes.
In reality I think they did themselves a disservice by being so quiet about it for so long. All the energy and talk was on the Mirrorless so if anybody hung in there with the A99/A900/A850 they are looking at a good camera but I can't imagine that too many people hung in there.

Sep 22 16 08:02 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Short answer...NO!

Way too limited options when compared with the big two!

Sep 22 16 09:17 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:
Technically, yes.
In reality I think they did themselves a disservice by being so quiet about it for so long.........

I think you're probably right about that.

Sep 22 16 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
Short answer...NO!

Can you give examples of where the a99ii is lacking vs the Canikon big guns?

Sep 22 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

CDanielStudios

Orlando, Florida, US

roger alan wrote:

in my opinion this blows those other 2 out of the water. and about damn time they announced it too.
though that Fujifilm GFX medium format camera that was announced on the same day is fairly sexy in and of itself...

Sep 22 16 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

CDanielStudios

Orlando, Florida, US

Short answer...NO!

name some areas where its lacking then, it has a lot of lenses, the same or better low-light, better resolution....   maybe you're just a canon / nikon fanboy

Sep 22 16 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:

Technically, yes.
In reality I think they did themselves a disservice by being so quiet about it for so long. All the energy and talk was on the Mirrorless so if anybody hung in there with the A99/A900/A850 they are looking at a good camera but I can't imagine that too many people hung in there.

I'm too lazy to look up the article, but there was an interview on DPReview about 18 months ago with someone at the head of one of their various divisions where they essentially said that they weren't abandoning the A mount, but that it was no longer a priority.

They said that new cameras would still come out, but they would be fewer and further between, and there would only be a few models in the lineup going forward.

In other words, 'we won't force anyone to change mounts, but don't hold your breath waiting for all the newest tech.'

I can only assume that people unhappy with the slow release of A mount bodies did not read that interview.

Sep 22 16 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Hoping for a rational, objective discussion, as opposed to the type of p#$%ing match that sometimes happens here, LOL.

First off, I am not even sure that 5D Mk IV and D810 are the most direct competitors for the new Sony. And, although my current camera is a mid-level Sony a57 SLT, I am not in any way anti-Canon or anti-Nikon. Some of the most amazing pics I have seen (with human subjects i.e. skin tones) were done with the 5D series cameras. And the D810 is  superb.

But it seems to me that Sony, known for innovation, would not bring out their new top dog without surpassing the entire field in at least some parameters or functions. I don't know enough about all of the relevant cameras  to compare features and specs, so that is why I ask here.

I guess only time will tell whether they have hit the mark in some ways that the competition has not. But no harm in informed discussion or speculation at this point.

Sep 22 16 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:
Technically, yes.

+1

It may actually end up being very amazing, but, the ship has sailed.

Sep 22 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I think Sony should not waste energy/resource on this type of cameras.

Sep 22 16 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Chris Q Photo wrote:
name some areas where its lacking then, it has a lot of lenses, the same or better low-light, better resolution....   maybe you're just a canon / nikon fanboy

Does this question really need answering?

Canon and Nikon own the market, there's nothing that even comes close to both systems for expandblity, legacy lenses, underwater work, astro photography, etc etc. Just as an example, well over 225 Nikon lenses can be used on any FX body.

The big two have been in this game since the 50's and 60's, Sony entered the dslr market, what 10 years ago? They are trying to muscle their way in to a market that is clearly out of their league! Sony as great a company as it is (I have had Sony TV's since the 80's, and love their products) may not be making these cameras, lenses, accessories in 10 years time, then what?

Personally I would never invest $$$'s in a system that might one day be totally obselete!

Sep 23 16 03:44 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

alessandro2009 wrote:
I think Sony should not waste energy/resource on this type of cameras.

Yes, exactly. Stick to providing Nikon with the best sensors and focus other energies into what they do best...namely TV.

Sep 23 16 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

As a working pro I am very impressed with the new Sony but am I impressed enough to take a 30k hit to my bottom line?  That is about what it would cost me to switch from my Canon system to the Sony.  For amateurs who only own a couple of lenses or for people just starting out the Sony becomes a option. But, even for those people.  Will the rental houses carry a range of Sony lenses so when you need that unusual something you can rent it?

Maybe if Sony keeps investing in this camera line, maybe in ten years it could become a serious contender but is Sony willing to invest for that type of timeline?

I do like that fact that a camera like this does challenge the other manufactures.

Sep 23 16 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

Einsiedeln, Schwyz, Switzerland

As a pro with 2 Sony A99 it has been an awful long wait to get this news.

The A7 series are very nice but not for my kind of work. I am absolutely thrilled. I was expecting it to be more expensive.

1 is per-ordered and not patiently, or not so much waiting for it to be shipped. Going to give it a go against the old lady and then decide if I need a 2nd one.

Probably not worth the switch. So far all the pro's/nikon,sony) on sideline have asked me about the news and if I would get one.

Sep 26 16 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

it seems like Sony is putting most of its efforts into mirrorless cameras, I'm actually very surprised to see an A99 follow up.

Sep 28 16 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Yes, Sony has that sensor in the A7 II already, that would be my choice seeing how easy
it is to adapt a wide variety of lenses. The A99 takes a IQ hit by using a pellicle mirror,
but some people are okay with the tradeoff.

I'm wondering when that sensor will make its way into a Nikon body, maybe it will be
the D820 (or 850, 810X ect)

Sep 28 16 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

@Motordrive - I believe you mean a7RII which is 42MP. The a7II is 24MP.

When you say "IQ hit" due to the pellicle mirror, are you referring the 1/2 stop of light loss?

Sep 29 16 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

roger alan wrote:
@Motordrive - I believe you mean a7RII which is 42MP. The a7II is 24MP.

When you say "IQ hit" due to the pellicle mirror, are you referring the 1/2 stop of light loss?

Yes, that's the one I meant. (I put a space in there)

The pellicle mirror costs a half stop of light, but also some resolution.
I haven't checked a chart, my guess is that it's a 10 to 20% difference in resolving power.

Sep 29 16 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:

Yes, that's the one I meant. (I put a space in there)

The pellicle mirror costs a half stop of light, but also some resolution.
I haven't checked a chart, my guess is that it's a 10 to 20% difference in resolving power.

I've not seen any other reference to loss of resolving power due to the mirror.  20% difference in resolving power? That's your guess? Got links to any info on this?

Sep 29 16 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

roger alan wrote:
I've not seen any other reference to loss of resolving power due to the mirror.  20% difference in resolving power? That's your guess? Got links to any info on this?

I haven't found a link yet,

it is just my swag (scientific wild ass guess)

here is a Peta pixel link that lists 5% on an a55
http://petapixel.com/2011/08/29/sonys-t … y-up-to-5/

Sep 29 16 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

OK, thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

a55 was the first SLT (for anyone who may not know). It had at least one (now) well documented bug relating to live view use in a studio setting.

Wonder if perhaps Sony has improved the mirror in the SLT since its intial release (a55) in 2010?

Sep 29 16 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

roger alan wrote:
OK, thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

a55 was the first SLT (for anyone who may not know). It had at least one (now) well documented bug relating to live view use in a studio setting.

Wonder if perhaps Sony has improved the mirror in the SLT since its intial release (a55) in 2010?

I think the light loss has more to do with physics than technology. They may have made incremental gains, but it will be more-or-less the same.

Sep 30 16 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

I shoot with the A99. My two A99 are the first generation. While I do have no doubts that the newer one blows mine out of the water, I see no justified reason for me to upgrade. And to be honest, I think that Sony putting out this camera had more to do with the users wanting it and less about Sony feeling that it's something you need, due to what I believe is Sony is focusing more on the mirror cameras. That is where their niche is at and where many non Sony users, have dropped their Nikon and Canon cameras for.

I think that eventually Sony will no longer use produce the A mount. To me it make sense, Plus, I'm wagering that they will get into the medium format field with the mirror system.

Oct 24 16 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
I shoot with the A99. My two A99 are the first generation. While I do have no doubts that the newer one blows mine out of the water, I see no justified reason for me to upgrade. And to be honest, I think that Sony putting out this camera had more to do with the users wanting it and less about Sony feeling that it's something you need, due to what I believe is Sony is focusing more on the mirror cameras. That is where their niche is at and where many non Sony users, have dropped their Nikon and Canon cameras for.

I think that eventually Sony will no longer use produce the A mount. To me it make sense, Plus, I'm wagering that they will get into the medium format field with the mirror system.

I totally agree

Oct 24 16 11:06 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

roger alan wrote:

No... Just no... think Lens

Oct 24 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

Yes, exactly. Stick to providing Nikon with the best sensors and focus other energies into what they do best...namely TV.

Their TV business was decimated when LCD/LEDs came out, that div was mostly sold off. Their walkman/personal electronics was destroyed by MP3 players. The only real profitable divisions Sony has now are Playstation and cameras. Their music and movie div are up and down.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/28/sony-jus … -hold.html

" Another bright spot for Sony is the gaming division which saw operating income rise 84.3 percent to 88.7 billion yen. In January, the company said that PS4 sales had topped 35 million and in its earnings release, it said an increase in software and hardware sales of the console helped offset the decrease in PlayStation 3 sales.

Its camera business also saw strong profitability which rose 72.7 percent. "

Oct 25 16 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

Einsiedeln, Schwyz, Switzerland

Legacys 7 wrote:

I own both the old and new A99. Lately I use the old one more just because of the file size and they seem a little easier to process. Don't get me wrong the A99II is great for many things but for some work the A99 is good enough .

Still very happy with the A mount but willing to consider the A9 as a 3rd or 4th camera as a remote it could be good. I am not too concerned bout the amount of lenses and the adapters seem to do a great job too even if that means only 14fps

May 26 17 07:02 am Link

Photographer

MWP

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

As much as I would want to purchase the new a99ii my a99v1 is doing a great job, I love the images out of it. there are some new features such as wifi / nfc I would like to have but I don't need them. The other issue I have is the price as many have pointed out a-mount is more than likely in decline the price of the new unit is a considerable increase compared to the first model, I get it that it has 4k video, better focusing but in order to be enticed to buy it a 50% price increase, I would want to be needing all the features not just wanting a couple.

Jun 07 17 06:13 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

moz photography wrote:
As much as I would want to purchase the new a99ii my a99v1 is doing a great job, I love the images out of it. there are some new features such as wifi / nfc I would like to have but I don't need them. The other issue I have is the price as many have pointed out a-mount is more than likely in decline the price of the new unit is a considerable increase compared to the first model, I get it that it has 4k video, better focusing but in order to be enticed to buy it a 50% price increase, I would want to be needing all the features not just wanting a couple.

wifi / nfc are much more useful with a smaller-size image.  I sold my a99 to move to mirrorless and I never use wife/nfc on my full-frame camera, just on the APS-C one.  I never used the dual-card slot on my a99 except as a cardholder so I would always have a spare if slot 1 filled up or gave the dreaded "error writing to card " message.  One of my colleages was the first a99ii shooter in Canada and he is very happy with it. but his was an upgrade from a77 so there's a huge diff.  the jump from a99 to a99ii is incremental and has a huge price increase.

Jun 07 17 11:33 am Link