Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > clipping path and skin mask

Photographer

MelbFashionPhotography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I was wondering if anyone would know of any good tutorials for a clipping path as well as of skin masking . I've had a look on youtube but couldn't really find what i was after .

Oct 03 16 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

A clipping path is usually done with the pen tool.  The nice thing about a pen tool/clipping path is that you can get positionable and editable edges and the curves always come out totally controllable and beautiful.  The clipping path function also allows you to stroke the path with any brush, or make it a selection, or it can fill in the path easily.

Have you ever tried using the  "Q"  key on the keyboard in Photoshop?  It sets up the  "Quick Mask"  feature.  You paint over the face with a regular white or black brush...but instead of painting in black or white...  it adds to or subtracts from a "red rubylith mask" over the face for example.   Its a quick way to easily paint in skin...  and see what you are covering... by seeing the red mask being laid down on the face.  From there...you can easily turn that  into a selection or make it into a real layer mask.  I use the Quick Mask paint-on function when I dont want to use the fussy and sometimes inaccurate selection tools and brushes.  Where ever you paint ...that area becomes red... and it becomes a mask.  White to paint in the masking...  Black to remove the masking.  Great for defining the skin areas on a face.

Oct 03 16 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

MelbFashionPhotography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Thx I will give that a go ☺

Oct 03 16 11:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

It is also useful to learn how to work with channels as they already contain good data which can be used as a starting point for masking.

Oct 04 16 12:43 am Link