Forums > Photography Talk > Flex TT5 + Older PW units

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thinking about getting a used unit to work with assortment of Plus X and Plus II
I did a quick look on PW site and they claim compatibility
Has anybody used this combo ?
Do they work out of the box together of does the Flex have to "learn" older PW channels
Will be using the setup with studio strobes or non OEM speedlights so just looking for dumb non TTL triggering

Oct 11 16 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

a month ago, read the instruction links:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961897

Oct 11 16 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
a month ago, read the instruction links:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961897

I have read PW wiki and instructions
Was looking for feedback if anybody had real world experience with this specific setup
I tangled with the Mini/Flex line when 1st released and I can say it was the worst photo product I have ever used
Naturally I am bit leery but price is right for used unit

Oct 11 16 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Go to PhotoExpo this weekend and ask the source. Why ask here?

Oct 12 16 04:11 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

If you are using   the Flex TT5 as a  receiver to trigger studio strobes and using  a PocketWizard Plus, Plus II, MultiMAX, or Sekonic Meter as the transmitter, you will need to set the FlexTT5 to receive on a Standard Channel via Basic Trigger Mode. This is set using set in the PocketWizard Utility,

THERE IS ALSO a learn function you can conduct for the TT5 when away from a computer but I recommend setting it up ahead of a shoot with the utility.

If you are using a Standard Channel radio like the Plus III, PlusX, MultiMAX, or Plus II as a transmitter, you  use your FlexTT5s as receivers.
NOTE:...The FlexTT5 can only receive on one type of Channel at a time. In order for the FlexTT5 to receive on a Standard Channel, you will need to configure it for Basic Trigger Mode. Once the radio is set to Basic Trigger, just match the receive Channel to that of your transmitter.

If using a multimax or plus 3 with a  receiving FlexTT5  set to channels between 17 -32 you can also set the TT5 to be zone specific so it is controlled by the zone selected by the multimax or plus 3 .

A transmitting MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 can trigger any receiving PocketWizard, including flashes with built-in PocketWizards. They can transmit on any of the 32 PocketWizard Standard Channels.

If you are using a MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 as a transmitter, you can incorporate Standard Channel remotes without changing any radio settings.
The MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 transmit both ControlTL and Standard Channels simultaneously, allowing any PockwetWizard receiver to be triggered in sync.For this setup, simply match all the Channels on your radios. To see what Channels you are using on your ControlTL transmitter, connect the radio to your computer via USB and launch the PocketWizard Utility. Navigate to the Channel Tab and note both the ControlTL Transmit Channel and Standard Transmit Channel. By default the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 use ControlTL and Standard Channel 1 in Configuration

Oct 12 16 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dan Howell wrote:
Go to PhotoExpo this weekend and ask the source. Why ask here?

Expo runs 20th-22 not this weekend
Item will be gone by then

Oct 12 16 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:
If you are using   the Flex TT5 as a  receiver to trigger studio strobes and using  a PocketWizard Plus, Plus II, MultiMAX, or Sekonic Meter as the transmitter, you will need to set the FlexTT5 to receive on a Standard Channel via Basic Trigger Mode. This is set using set in the PocketWizard Utility,

THERE IS ALSO a learn function you can conduct for the TT5 when away from a computer but I recommend setting it up ahead of a shoot with the utility.

If you are using a Standard Channel radio like the Plus III, PlusX, MultiMAX, or Plus II as a transmitter, you  use your FlexTT5s as receivers.
NOTE:...The FlexTT5 can only receive on one type of Channel at a time. In order for the FlexTT5 to receive on a Standard Channel, you will need to configure it for Basic Trigger Mode. Once the radio is set to Basic Trigger, just match the receive Channel to that of your transmitter.

If using a multimax or plus 3 with a  receiving FlexTT5  set to channels between 17 -32 you can also set the TT5 to be zone specific so it is controlled by the zone selected by the multimax or plus 3 .

A transmitting MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 can trigger any receiving PocketWizard, including flashes with built-in PocketWizards. They can transmit on any of the 32 PocketWizard Standard Channels.

If you are using a MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 as a transmitter, you can incorporate Standard Channel remotes without changing any radio settings.
The MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 transmit both ControlTL and Standard Channels simultaneously, allowing any PockwetWizard receiver to be triggered in sync.For this setup, simply match all the Channels on your radios. To see what Channels you are using on your ControlTL transmitter, connect the radio to your computer via USB and launch the PocketWizard Utility. Navigate to the Channel Tab and note both the ControlTL Transmit Channel and Standard Transmit Channel. By default the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 use ControlTL and Standard Channel 1 in Configuration

Thanks for your help Mr Richard
Have you run this setup yourself ?

Oct 12 16 05:39 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

I use the TT5 's configuration together with the multimax, plus 3 and with the older PW Plus.. which are dedicated transmit and receive units only. Also interface  and trigger with my Sekonic 758dr meter
All interface and work flawless
I purchased the TT5''s as back up should I need use and control of small strobes (power level or  TTL )  but mostly use them with packs as standard PW

Oct 12 16 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:
I use the TT5 's configuration together with the multimax, plus 3 and with the older PW Plus.. which are dedicated transmit and receive units only. Also interface  and trigger with my Sekonic 758dr meter
All interface and work flawless
I purchased the TT5''s as back up should I need use and control of small strobes (power level or  TTL )  but mostly use them with packs as standard PW

This is the info I needed
Thank you again

Oct 12 16 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Follow up report:
Picked up unit today for $54
Worked with Std PW out of the box(I dont know what config previous owner set)
C1 worked as Transmitter only On Std Channel 1
C2 worked as Receiver on Std Ch2
Remote Trrigger function worked on camera
Flash Rely function work as well
And as a plus the hotshoe triggered Sunpak speedlite
Later I will hook up unit to PW utility and check over the settings

Oct 13 16 02:58 pm Link