Forums > Photography Talk > Busted lens mount flange..Canon wants to replac..

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Yup Canon 1DX  fell out of my car. I think busted the lens mounting flange on the camera. There is a micro crack in the ring. I can see its warped as well.

Canon in Costa Mesa wants to replace the ring and mirror box... about $800 bucks.  Don't really know if thats necessary or what.

I brought one of my 600 ex rt flashes in cause it was not firing and overheating. Got it back saying it was normal..

$140... didn't fix the problem..

You guys think Canon is trying to work me over?

Oct 11 16 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

No they dont need your $$$
My experience with Canon Service points to incompetence

Oct 11 16 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Nope. I think what you got is an expensive repair on an expensive camera, and a repair tech that dropped the ball.

It's really hard these days to make 'fuck the customers' a valid business plan, unless you have a monopoly. I don't think 'fuck the stockholders' has ever been easier, but not the customer.

Lexuses and Lincolns cost more to fix than Toyotas and Fords - that's just how it is.

Oct 11 16 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
No they dont need your $$$
My experience with Canon Service points to incompetence

Incompetence is totally different than willful scamming or defrauding. Just saying.

Oct 11 16 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Incompetence is totally different than willful scamming or defrauding. Just saying.

I agree

Oct 11 16 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I've worked at a camera shop for quite a few years ... in that time we carried Nikon, Canon, Sony, Minolta (!), Pentax, Olympus, Samsung, Tamron, Sigma, and we dealt with Tokina, Leica, Kodak, and Mamiya - though they were never primary brands.

I can honestly say that not one of those companies were 100% easy to deal with. Every single one screwed a deserving customer at least once - and every single one fixed something under warranty that was obviously the customer's fault.

That's what happens when you hire people, and not robots. You can make whatever policy you want ... But sometimes people are in a bad mood, and sometimes they're all sunshine and rosebuds.

Oct 11 16 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Not one of you answered the question regarding the mirror box..

Oct 11 16 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

the lonely photographer wrote:
Not one of you answered the question regarding the mirror box..

well, no one has seen the camera.

that is pretty steep, but if something hit the lens with enough force to damage
the mount, it's likely enough to distort the mirror box also.

if you were driving and hit a curb, would you replace the wheel and tire,
then call it good? even if the shop said the tie rod and control arms are bent.

Oct 11 16 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Wasn't the question are you getting worked over?

Yep.
There, all better.

Oct 11 16 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

I've been to both nikon and canon repair centers on east coast. They both seem to have moved over to flat rate charge. Anything out of warranty they pull out a list and anything to be done they charge the rate on that item no matter how small the work is, like gluing on new rubber costs same as major repairs.
The person behind the counter also seems to have no authority. Recently I had to bring a lens in to get it in the system, then call their 800 number to dispute bad repair as I had it in less than a year ago. In span of less than year paying half the cost of the lens. Canon headquarters not even a service center, its basically a drop off box and they mail it somewhere to get repaired.

Oct 12 16 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

That sounds about right.  Well, not sure about the mirror thing.  But I have broken or dented my lens mount/flange on 24-70 twice and each time it ran about $180.

Oct 12 16 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Replace the flange / body mount ring yourself and see what happens
-- they are just CYA

https://www.ibfshop.de/product_info.php … id=3877939
https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-Mount-Body- … B00M7UGG0Y
http://www.mk-electronic.de/eng/items/show/CA1-7777-000

http://stores.ebay.com/DHcameras

Canon Spare Parts Catalogs
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho … ?t=1216590
http://www.filefactory.com/file/27zxzjqmakyd

see pages 9 and 10 of the parts manual      "EOS 1Dx.pdf"

CA1-7777-000   mount,body                           about   35,00 € in EU

Google -->  plastic solvent welding

Oct 12 16 08:23 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

Yup Canon 1DX  fell out of my car. I think busted the lens mounting flange on the camera. There is a micro crack in the ring. I can see its warped as well. Canon in Costa Mesa wants to replace the ring and mirror box... about $800 bucks.  Don't really know if thats necessary or what. I brought one of my 600 ex rt flashes in cause it was not firing and overheating. Got it back saying it was normal. $140... didn't fix the problem. You guys think Canon is trying to work me over?

Nope, exactly what I'd expect to spend on a mirror box repair, if not less than expectations. $140 is a tiny bit higher than what I'd expect to spend on a flash visiting the repair bench, but sorry to hear it didn't fix the problem. How do you know it's overheating, and did you share a photo of that evidence? Did you send a CD of images that show the failure to fire, and is it independent of the overheating?

Oct 12 16 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The only thing that I can add is that I have owned Canon's since 2005+- and have sent several cameras in for repair.  I have found Canon's repair service to be very good and priced what I thought was reasonable.  During the summer I knocked my 1ds Mark 3 off a table onto a concrete floor and badly damage both the lens (70-200) and the Camera.  That was expensive, are $500.00 each item.

But the repairs were well done, accurate, and fast.  Most of my other experiences with them have been for shutter replacements which I think that I have done 3-4 times on various cameras.  Those were not so bad, around $250.00 each.

I have also found there telephone support to be very good.  I am a member of their Professional Service, which does give me both a discount and quick turn around.

Oct 12 16 10:34 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yup Canon 1DX  fell out of my car. I think busted the lens mounting flange on the camera. There is a micro crack in the ring. I can see its warped as well.

Canon in Costa Mesa wants to replace the ring and mirror box... about $800 bucks.  Don't really know if thats necessary or what.

I brought one of my 600 ex rt flashes in cause it was not firing and overheating. Got it back saying it was normal..

$140... didn't fix the problem..

You guys think Canon is trying to work me over?

I have had excellent service with the Canon repair shop in NJ. They replaced my shutter/mirror box on my 40d. That was around $225.78. This was over 3 years ago.

My 600exrt failed while under warranty. I sent it to the NJ shop and they did a great job repairing it. This was over a year ago and it's still working great.

Maybe the west coast shop isn't as thorough?

Oct 12 16 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

petemplinphoto wrote:

Nope, exactly what I'd expect to spend on a mirror box repair, if not less than expectations. $140 is a tiny bit higher than what I'd expect to spend on a flash visiting the repair bench, but sorry to hear it didn't fix the problem. How do you know it's overheating, and did you share a photo of that evidence? Did you send a CD of images that show the failure to fire, and is it independent of the overheating?

The screen color changes to Orange when it overheats.  And it don't fire.  Canon says it's normal... cost me 140 bucks to hear that

Oct 12 16 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

The screen color changes to Orange when it overheats.  And it don't fire.  Canon says it's normal... cost me 140 bucks to hear that

You didn't read the manual.

Oct 12 16 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

bidewell photography

Terre Haute, Indiana, US

are you using Lithium batteries or an external battery pack?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port … -batteries

Oct 19 16 04:53 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

ive been repairing film cameras for over 45 years. ive seen all sorts of accident cameras. some were simple repairs n others were more involved. the damage isnt always obvious so your mirror box may have been effected by the fall.

these digital cameras arent as robust as the old mf work horses and will more than likely have substantial internal damage. the electronics alone make working on these a bit more involved as well.

as someone mentioned, you can buy the mount n diy n see if that works?

Oct 19 16 07:01 am Link