Forums > Photography Talk > Hello all...

Photographer

itzjstreet

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

When shooting portraits..what is you best go-to lens and why...I like using the Canon EF ‑ 50mm ‑ F/1.8, which gives be good flexibility with such a low price, although i want to upgrade to the F/1.4.....

Oct 13 16 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

I can't say that I have a go to lens because it all depends on what I want/need or even something as simple as the mood I'm in on a given day.

I do however love Nikon's 105 mm micro.  I'm not sure what Cannon's version is this things are incredibly sharp and as I like to shoot wide open it also create beautiful bokeh.  Some even say it's to sharp for portraiture but I don't think so.

Oct 14 16 11:11 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

this ain't going to help you but

for me..it's my 240mm f4.5 Heliar on my Linhof 5x7

don't know why, but that one nails it every time

Mike

Oct 21 16 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I love my Nikon 10.5mm fish eye for shooting portraits smile

Oct 22 16 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

partly it depends on how far you can get back from the model. for close quarters i like my 17-40. when i have more room my 24-105. i'm on full-frame (canon 6D).

if you use a really wide angle lens close up it can make things look weird but sometimes that's the whole point.

and you do see posts on how a longer focal length is better for headshots.

but i think half the fun is using a bunch of different lenses and mixing it up. for my part i prefer being close to the model so i can talk to them.

on full-frame 50 is kind of a boring, middle of the road focal length. but lots of people love their primes. i have a 50f1.4 that i use when it's too dark for my F4 lenses.

Oct 24 16 07:21 pm Link