Forums > Model Colloquy > What is best way to manage bookings ?

Model

Anna de Silva

Qabaqçöl, Şəki-Zaqatala, Azerbaijan

Hello,

WHat is best way manage bookings, i use folders on MM and email, but some are messaging me on Instagram or FB, how to keep  all organized in one place ?

Thanks

Oct 18 16 02:04 am Link

Model

Auriana

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Dear Anna,

I am the oldschool pen & paper type and have an agenda / note book where I keep track of everything. I usually note down the basic information (time, date, style/theme, participants and contact info) in the agenda and include a hint on where to find the detailed communication (MM/IG/FB). This helps me organizing everything and prevents things from getting lost in case of technology failure (no signal, no or low battery) or human error (accidently deleting messages is kind of my nemesis).

Alternatively, you could use the google calendar, where you have extra lines for URL's and stuff.

Cheers,
Auri

Oct 18 16 03:02 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Two calenders, one that goes on top of your desk and one that you carry in your car or bag with you everywhere you go.

Write everything down the minute it's confirmed. Don't wait even two minutes between getting that confirmation email and whipping out your calendar and pencil.

IMO, all the Google"calendars" and folder organizing options are just useless crap.

Write. It. Down.

Oct 18 16 03:28 am Link

Model

Auriana

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Koryn wrote:
Two calenders, one that goes on top of your desk and one that you carry in your car or bag with you everywhere you go.

Write everything down the minute it's confirmed. Don't wait even two minutes between getting that confirmation email and whipping out your calendar and pencil.

IMO, all the Google"calendars" and folder organizing options are just useless crap.

Write. It. Down.

Yeah! I always thought I am the only one still sticking to pen&paper <3 Good to know there are more of us out there.

Oct 18 16 04:24 am Link

Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

These ladies give great advice...I am also 100% pen and paper. You can use technology as a secondary backup, but in my opinion it wouldn't work for me, technology is too prone to error. Good luck! smile

Oct 18 16 05:09 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I use a google calendar and just insert every booking right when I get it. I have the app on my phone and ipad as well for when I'm traveling. I do about 15-20 bookings per week at least while traveling as well, and so far it hasn't let me down.

The one thing you need to be careful of is that, if you're traveling, the times don't get messed up in the calendar. You might have to adjust the times again if you're traveling in a different timezone.

Everyone else seems to be using pen/pencil and paper. Which is fine, but we don't all have to do the same thing. I got so irritated carrying that kind of stuff around with me after two months doing this that I just gave up. I take a screen shot of my calendar before I leave, and that's about it. It works well for me.

Oct 19 16 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Koryn wrote:

Write. It. Down.

The OP's question was how does she do it in ONE (1) place.

To be honest--my advice also violates that specification: write it down in a calendar AND enter it into your phone. That way you have redundancy.  I KNOW, it's duplicative, it can be a PIA, and it violates database rules.

If you want it in ONE place, you can:
* post on your profile, if you're an open person, e.g. https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/647359 especially
https://www.modelmayhem.com/Tomiko --note she has names and dates so you and your team knows what's on your docket (you can even add times, e.g. 2-5 PM, &/or
* you can send e-mail to confirm with party (if they're on MM), &/or
* you can send someone else your schedule--you CANNOT (last I checked) send note to self!  [idiotic constraint, IMHO.]
You are allowed to have another account [such as a G rated, and PG rated or maybe you're a model AND a photographer so you can have two accounts] and then you can send note to self that way.

Honestly--I've not found anything that I really like. What I'd like is a secure site within MM, like a secure thread or a private album, where I can put all the details as they develop but have it password protected so that only the participants are allowed to access it. It's pull or push: people who like to know every detail can get pushed notification when the smallest thing changes, or they can pull down the the updates whenever they want.

I as the admin of this secure site, would like the ability to push notifications if there is a major change--e.g. I cancel because there is a hurricane,  I'd also like to be able to have secure section within that password protected area where I can keep confidential information about all the participants.  For command and control purposes, I need to have everyone's phone numbers BUT not everyone may want everyone else to know their phone number so to accommodate their privacy concerns yet my administrative duties, I want to keep all that information in one place, but not have it accessible to anyone but me and the AD (Assistant Director).

Or if I get flagged as RIP https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/613583 then I want access to automatically roll over to the backup director! The shoot must go on! :-)  I know--I'm fantasizing now. LOL

Oct 19 16 09:27 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

I consolidate all to pen and paper and a legal pad.

Oct 19 16 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
I consolidate all to pen and paper and a legal pad.

My problem is that then I lose it. Oops!

Long story short:
lost Day-Timer somewhere in Europe.
Went to Paris, called London, had them ship a replacement.
Waited in Paris a few days and picked up at AMEX office before I could continue trip.
Got the blank month replaced but of course, the data was lost forever.
That was over a couple decades ago but I recall it vividly.
I HATE losing important and valuable data!
For me it's a sickening, revolting, miserable experience.

For me it was the worse day of the multi-month trip.
No, I didn't remember what I wrote.
If I could remember, I wouldn't have written it down.
The idea of writing it down is so I can flush it from my mind of mundane matters so I can focus on active items!

Oct 19 16 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

When using Google calendars and other alarms, make sure you've entered the correct time zone. It defaults to where you are at, not where the event will be. Traveling models probably have seen this happen a lot.

Oct 19 16 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

i Phone calendar and good old fashioned calendar.  When scheduling a number of Models, MUAs and Hair Stylists for a day long shoot I write slotted times on a pad.

Oct 20 16 07:47 am Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I have an agenda.... Pen and paper..... Helps me remember the stuff, too.

Oct 21 16 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I used a Franklin planner for 28 years in business and another one for all my modeling gigs or exhibition openings and events. I never forgot things that way.

My company then wanted me to do it through email calendars and I dropped the ball a number of times. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.

Oct 22 16 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

I use the iPhone calendar with an app called miCal to schedule all my professional and personal appointments.  Its is easier if you direct all your potential clients to a single email such as [email protected] so all your communication is in 1 system.  I find my iPhone the best tool to create a calendar I can check from anywhere, or share with an assistant or agent.

Oct 22 16 07:36 am Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

The calendar advice you've received is great, but it sounds like you want a way to consolidate your booking conversations.

If so there are two options I've found effective. You could get email addresses from everyone who messages you and immediately move the conversations to email and keep a folder system there for organization.

And/or you could use Evernote to track shoot details, contact info, and where the contact and conversations are. They have a good tagging system so that you could then search your database for names, cities, or many other criteria.

Oct 23 16 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

A model I know uses ACT, a contact/schedule software
http://www.act.com

Oct 23 16 04:55 pm Link