Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How to do Make-up

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm going to be doing a small scale photo shoot which requires me to do my own make-up. OMG!

What are the very basics?
From what I've seen so far on you-tube:

Foundation for whole face
Concealer for under eyes and to outline eyebrows (down nose, foreheard, on chin optionally for a good contour)
Brown pencil to fill in brows

I can mange my eye shadow application
I just want my face to look good, with no under eye puffiness.

Any other tips? Is the concealer suppose to be light than my skin color?

On the other hand, I do need a professional MUA in Miami next week Thursday 10/27/16 for another photo shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 21 16 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

The commonest problem I encounter with models who do their own makeup is use of foundation which is too shiny/reflective.

Oct 21 16 03:11 pm Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

K I M I L Y wrote:
The commonest problem I encounter with models who do their own makeup is use of foundation which is too shiny/reflective.

Okay I'll keep that in mind next time I have to DIY. Thanks

Nov 01 16 02:40 pm Link

Model

Rylan Sper

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Make sure your skin is moisturized beforehand. Every time, I do foundation on the whole face, followed by a powder that is the same color (to remove shininess). I then use a couple of contour powders (one light, one dark), moisturize the lips, and fill my brows with a darker powder. The rest really depends on the look you are going for. I use different eye shadows/liners/mascaras/fake lashes, etc, depending on the look required.

Make sure to bring a powder (similar color to the foundation) so that if needed you can apply it during the shoot.

Nov 01 16 05:30 pm Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Rylan Sper wrote:
Make sure your skin is moisturized beforehand. Every time, I do foundation on the whole face, followed by a powder that is the same color (to remove shininess). I then use a couple of contour powders (one light, one dark), moisturize the lips, and fill my brows with a darker powder. The rest really depends on the look you are going for. I use different eye shadows/liners/mascaras/fake lashes, etc, depending on the look required.

Make sure to bring a powder (similar color to the foundation) so that if needed you can apply it during the shoot.

Thanks for that.

I was just trying to get a basic natural look down so that my skin tone looked even on camera and to cover under eye bags.

The eye and lips are something I usually manage to do okay.

I did remember to moisturize. However, I did not user powder. I'll have to add that to my collection.

Nov 02 16 12:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

Every one preps the skin differently,this is my routine
Cleanse
Toner
Moisturizer on lips
2 Moisturizers whether is for oily/dry skin for the face
I really massage the face with the moisturizer and let it soak into the skin
Prime Eyes/Shadow
Face primer
Color correct/Concealer where needed, the concelear should be two shades lighter than the skin tone under the eyes (IMO)
Set under eye with powder, I use RCMA invisible loose powder that can be used on any skin tone or Ben Nye Loose powder I use a Beaty Blender or a Powder puff and really press the powder under the eyes to prevent creasing
Foundation,bronzer, contour/ highlight where needed, setting powder in the T Zone
Eye Brows Pencil/Powder or Cream
Setting Spray, I use Skindiva
Lips
I hope I didn't leave anything out but every artist has thier own routine that works for them and I'm sure you'll do what works best for you.

Dec 14 16 05:26 pm Link