Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Wedding Dresses - How do i get hold of one?

Photographer

Abi987

Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom

Hi guys, i have a local wedding boutique near where i live and they are all really lovely. I want to get into contact regarding using some of their dresses in a photoshoot. I have wanted to try shooting wedding dresses forever and they have lent out a dress to a photographer before..I think it would be a good opportunity but how do i go about it?

I know who to message.. but what do i say? How should it work? How would you go about it?

I really struggle with this so i would appreciate some help!
Anything, i would be really grateful!

Thank you

Oct 30 16 10:17 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Take good shots. Have them printed out. Send them with a letter to the store manager. Keep it simple. Say how many shots they'll get and when, what rights they will have to them,and whether you have a MUA and/or model arranged. If you have a concept, describe it.

Oct 30 16 10:47 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Give them a ring or better still drop in and have a chat. Take a business card with you. Be prepared to deal with questions about insurance and cleaning of any items loaned.

Oct 30 16 02:03 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

We have a web organization called FREECYCLE.  The premise is that people in your locality have something they no longer need and they offer it free to members of the freecycle community.  There is also cheap cycle and thrift stores.  I suggest joining anything that is an equivalent where you are and request the items you are looking for.  I have a beautiful wedding dress that I got from freecycle, with the promise that I would pass it on after the shoot.  My problem has been figuring out what size a model would need to be to wear it.  I am not busty enough.  smile

You may also want to contact some wedding planners that have multiple clients.  You may be able to work out shoots with brides in their own dresses after the wedding. 

If you post in the casting call section of MM, and request models that have their own wedding dresses, things could be very simple to arrange.

Oct 30 16 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

I wanted to do a shoot titled Rooftop and Regalia and I went to the rental facility and explained my shoot concept, location, model, the degree I wanted her to have (PhD. Psychology) so they could match the model IRL (In Real Life) and also get the colors correct.

They were happy to loan it to me--I think I did offer to provide them with images or they asked. Don't remember--about a decade ago.

Didn't happen because rooftop access was denied and I couldn't figure out how to get access legally.

Of course, you could get a real bride...

Oct 30 16 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Abi987 wrote:
I know who to message.. but what do i say? How should it work? How would you go about it?

I really struggle with this so i would appreciate some help!
Anything, i would be really grateful!

Thank you

It might help to know how the bridal fashion industry differs from the retail fashion industry. For the most part bridal boutiques show gown samples that future brides can try on and select from to order their custom-made gown. Samples are generally all the same size (US dress size 6). It is unlikely they would stock a variety of sizes. Stores select the gown samples that they think their customer will buy. They are likely available for order for one or two seasons. A few might be selected to be carried over into next season. The other samples are likely sold at the end of the season. It is possible that one or a few samples remained unsold.

You would likely have a better chance to borrow a past-season sample. Another option would be to contact a London-based bridal company. There are several. They would also have past season samples.

Dec 04 16 07:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

I had great luck at a thrift store (Salvation Army) I bought 3 beautiful gowns dirt cheap and one was brand new in the box size 2, I plan on selling them once I use them for a shoot.

Dec 04 16 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Ebay has wedding dresses for under $20. You could also try Amazon. Resale shops are another option. Another approach is ask the dress shop if they'd like some prints to put in their window? You would do the photographs and prints, the shop provides the dresses, and get models however you can (local modeling school, 15% discount for brides who model, etc.)

Dec 28 16 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Abi987 wrote:
Wedding Dresses - How do i get hold of one?
Hi guys, i have a local wedding boutique near where i live and they are all really lovely. I want to get into contact regarding using some of their dresses in a photoshoot. I have wanted to try shooting wedding dresses forever and they have lent out a dress to a photographer before..I think it would be a good opportunity but how do i go about it?

Although you are not in my market here is industry standard procedure here across the pond...

You simply provide them with a "Pull Letter" signed by the editor of the publication to which the editorial series will be submitted... You may also have to provide them with your CCard as collateral in the event that a garment is damaged...  It is typical to have the garments professional cleaned after the session (be advised that the cost of cleaning bridal gowns is over double what other garments are cleaned for). 

Lacking a Pull Letter makes this task more of a challenge albeit I've also gone this route successfully...

Might give Dan Howell's post serious consideration in as he works in the NYC bridal market and has deep tenure their... I respect and admire Dan's market savvy and skill... His thoughtful guidance has considerable merit/worth...

Jan 19 17 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thrift stores and tag sales frequently have a bounty of them.  At prices that allow you to use them and not have to worry about a smudge on a shop dress.

Jan 19 17 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sorry but thrift shop ensembles while extremely cost effective are simply not germane to a team’s needs if they are focused on publication.  Unless if perhaps they are going for an editorial “period” look.  And even then few if any publications would consider running such a series since their advertisers contribute heavily to their revenue stream. 

Bridal is totally about being not only current but at the vanguard of seasonal offerings.  I have to smile thinking what the editor of a bridal magazine would think of a submission showcasing decades old textile artistry…

In fact on a recent gig as an MUA for a LookBook session for a collection by a German bridal gown designer I was totally shocked to hear her say that time is of the essence for her since many of her creations (and those of other high-end designers) were being copied and mass produced by Chinese garment fabricators and shipped to US markets…

Please take a moment to come up to speed here…
Behind the scenes with Hayley Paige’s Fall 2017 bridal fashion show.
Behind the scenes with Lela Rose’s Fall 2017 bridal fashion show

If you are serious about your work please realize that perceived worth is so extremely difficult to come by yet so easily lost… This is about the Fashion Industry not about showcasing shoddy wardrobe… For naive hobbyist who can't discern the difference? Oh well... this is Mayhem...

Enjoy your journey...

Jan 20 17 10:26 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i would fist try going into the store with business card in hand and casually speak to who ever is available.  Let them know your idea and ask for suggestion of how to approach the management.  Be prepared to show some of your work if asked.  Have some idea of how long you will need it and what the pictures will be used for.

Here in the Philippines lots of bridal stores rent gowns for reasonable prices.  I don't know if the store you are wanting to use also has that option.  Best of luck.

Jan 20 17 11:30 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Post hidden on Apr 29, 2017 05:22 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
You bumped a 3 month old thread for a typo?

Apr 28 17 08:09 pm Link