This thread was locked on 2016-11-09 22:49:12
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > If ya don't vote today . . .

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

thiswayup wrote:
I think pointing and laughing is likely to be a more typical reaction. And I don't think that's an entirely fair.

This election gave Americans two choices:

- A woman who supports what most Americans see as a treaty designed to impoverish them, NAFTA

- A huckster with an appalling record of screwing over his own investors and dubious sexual morals

Americans voted for the second because they had a hard choice to make. Trump is the only politician likely to offer them the chance to end NAFTA - and perhaps that really should be their political priority.

By comparison, the British political system is much more responsive to voter pressure - for example, whether you are pro or anti, look at Brexit. Lobbyists and elites matter so much in US politics that voters have in normal circumstances lost all policy making input:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … lic-unive/

The people who voted for Trump, appalling as he is in many ways, voted against that. And even on foreign policy, Clinton is arguably more insane than Trump. The current confrontation in the Ukraine came about the US and NATO supported a defacto coup against a government the Russians could live with - a coup spearheaded by a no-kidding genuine Nazi party. I mean, an openly Nazi party that named its policy research centre to honour Goebels. De-escalating and recognizing that the Russians have an interest in a Ukraine that isn't run by Nazis seems like a no-brainer, but Clinton was against it.

All I can say now is "God help America.."

I will spend the next few days reading elaborate smart-aleck statements of Non-Americans explaining the Americans - and the world - why they had voted for Trump...

Honestly I think that some creative turmoil in politics is overdue. In the US as well as in Europe and elswhere in the world.

Nov 09 16 05:15 am Link

Photographer

George Holroyd

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary

TomFRohwer wrote:
I will spend the next few days reading elaborate smart-aleck statements of Non-Americans explaining the Americans - and the world - why they had voted for Trump...

Honestly I think that some creative turmoil in politics is overdue. In the US as well as in Europe and elswhere in the world.

Written mainly by smug brits.

Nov 09 16 05:44 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

TomFRohwer wrote:

Then you really need to get a life.

I suppose that would qualify as a dumbed-down version of what I said, but there are so few pixels left it's hard to be sure.

Nov 09 16 05:59 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

I voted for the idiot because there was no way I could vote for the moron.

Nov 09 16 06:14 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Okay, I'll admit it, I fell asleep @9 last night  .  .  .  did anything excitin' happen after that  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 09 16 06:15 am Link

Photographer

George Holroyd

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Nov 09 16 06:20 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
As usual I went Libertarian ,
Because the #FeeltheJohnson hashtag is so awesome

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
You made my morning big_smile

(Sorry, I haven't been following that guy. I didn't know his hashtag, but it's probably the best part of his entire campaign)

Nov 09 16 06:21 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Regardless of whether you like Trump or not, the American people have spoken. Regardless of an extremely slanted media, two Presidents, a Secretary of State and even some Republicans pushing for a Clinton presidency, the silent majority spoke up. Trump did well with women, men, millennials, blacks AND Hispanics....MUCH better than any of the polls showed. Much like when "you" asked me to give Obama a chance 8 years ago, I ask the same of you today. Stop the doomsday/ idiotic posts about racism etc and support your new President.

Nov 09 16 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
Regardless of whether you like Trump or not, the American people have spoken. Regardless of an extremely slanted media, two Presidents, a Secretary of State and even some Republicans pushing for a Clinton presidency, the silent majority spoke up. Trump did well with women, men, millennials, blacks AND Hispanics....MUCH better than any of the polls showed. Much like when "you" asked me to give Obama a chance 8 years ago, I ask the same of you today. Stop the doomsday/ idiotic posts about racism etc and support your new President.

+1000.  Soooo many people act like it's going to be the end of the world or something.  Some even literally crying.  lol

Nov 09 16 06:55 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Nicely said.

Nov 09 16 07:01 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

The last vote count I saw this morning showed Clinton with more popular votes than Trump.  The country has spoken and it's a 50/50 split.  There is no mandate.  As for Washington, I see more of the same.  And relations with other countries will probably get worse for awhile.  I guess we will have to wait and see if Trump can learn to be a President.

Nov 09 16 07:07 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Soooo many people act like it's going to be the end of the world or something.  Some even literally crying.  lol

They need benevolent intervention and deprogramming from the cultist political thinking they have fallen into. They need jobs and purpose. They need to learn responsibility for their behavior as individuals.

I think many of them can be saved from their political vertigo with compassion and universal love. They need a reality based structure of truth and purpose around them. They need real leaders and real jobs based on productivity and growth. They need real personal growth. After 25 years of sloth, division, squalor and misdirection, it's time to go back to work, expand the economy, and build a brighter future.

I would like to say MAGA, but that might be considered trolling tongue

Nov 09 16 07:21 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

The most important thing to remember is that this outcome was a surprise to most every one, including any credible assessments from reliable sources, and even those who supported the winning candidate... that this candidate, who was thoroughly surprising, all throughout this election cycle, may have, as President, many more surprises in store for everyone, especially for those who supported him.

After all, to think otherwise is to continue to underestimate him, and we've seen how that's simply not a realistic position to take.

Exhibit A, right out the gate: it looks like I'm not getting my shopping spree after all. I mean, that may change, and I'm ready for it, and yet, no financial apocalypse here. hmm

Nov 09 16 09:04 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

As a voter, I resent the gross characterizations of why "we" vote as we do in ANY election. One person at a time, for our own reasons, with our own hopes and fears, with our own set of beliefs - we go to a polling place, ballot drop box or the mail box to cast our vote. I'm sure there are those who are swayed by superficial things such as the presence or absence of certain genitalia, skin pigmentation, political experience, criminal proceedings or the parenthetical D or R. That is their right! It is also the right of the press, politicians, pundits and oh-so-enlightened celebrities to judge the voters for exercising their rights as they see fit.

But in the end, it's down to us and our one-at-a-time votes to choose who will govern. This election has made that one thing abundantly clear! It wasn't the candidate who had the extra half billion dollars in donations, the one who had the support of the bulk of the media and pop entertainers, the one with the greatest amount of governmental experience or the one with the unprecedented campaigning support of the sitting president. It was the other one.

As to why - you'll have to ask each and every one of the 59,135,740 individual voters who cast their votes for him. Any broadly painted guesses as to why they voted that way are nothing more than supposition that demeans and minimizes them as citizens executing their rights - just as much as if I guessed that women voted for Secretary Clinton solely because they had a matching set of bits in their drawers!

Since my earliest memory (1960) there has been an exact split between Democrats and Republicans occupying the White House. In that time much progress has been made on many fronts, a number of wars have been fought, and the economy has fluctuated while continually growing in the long-term. That system, even with it's myriad flaws, has attracted many more people striving to get INTO our country than the number of those wanting to get OUT. As I have pointed out to a number of people who were passionate about the dangers of one candidate or the virtues of the other, what has happened in the past will continue to happen in the future. We are all much better off because there is this system of opposition and compromise that causes us so much anxiety!

Nov 09 16 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Surprise?

See how the "internal" polling predictions pan out with the final tally after all districts are totaled.
https://twitter.com/trfgrp               https://twitter.com/trfgrp/status/796259375790903296

ongoing count results
http://townhall.com/election/                    https://www.yahoo.com/news/elections

Fireworks cancelled as of Monday
http://www.tmz.com/2016/11/07/hillary-c … ion-night/

Nov 09 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

rxz wrote:
The last vote count I saw this morning showed Clinton with more popular votes than Trump.  The country has spoken and it's a 50/50 split.  There is no mandate.  As for Washington, I see more of the same.  And relations with other countries will probably get worse for awhile.  I guess we will have to wait and see if Trump can learn to be a President.

I'd suggest you research as to why the electoral college was put in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

Nov 09 16 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

kickfight wrote:
The most important thing to remember is that this outcome was a surprise to most every one, including any credible assessments from reliable sources, and even those who supported the winning candidate... that this candidate, who was thoroughly surprising, all throughout this election cycle, may have, as President, many more surprises in store for everyone, especially for those who supported him.

After all, to think otherwise is to continue to underestimate him, and we've seen how that's simply not a realistic position to take.

Exhibit A, right out the gate: it looks like I'm not getting my shopping spree after all. I mean, that may change, and I'm ready for it, and yet, no financial apocalypse here. hmm

I once said firmly that he couldn't win primary. Then after he won the primary nomination, i said firmly that he is not electable in the general election.

I have been wrong all my life, and this is no exception.

Nov 09 16 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

"Well, on the bright side, at least the ship's decks are getting nicely rinsed!"
    - Captain of the Titanic

Nov 09 16 12:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

.... support your new President.

Yeah, Okay.  Of course, one side of the process has steadfastly refused to do that if they lost.  That same side has steadfastly refused to do that for the last eight years.  I am not sure why the other side is expected to behave better than the losers last time.  It is usually a process of escalation.  One side won't confirm federal judges; then the next side won't either; then they change the rules; then the next side won't even grant hearings.  Perhaps this time the losers will show they love their country more than they hate the opposition.  Unlike the last two times.  We will see.

Another President that lost the popular vote!  Geez.  He has two years, then the electorate is going to be happy, or congress is the next place that will be blown up in an election and this President will experience what the last one did.

Nice to know Putin is happy.   smile

Nov 09 16 01:02 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

https://i1.wp.com/media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trumpwins.jpg

Nov 09 16 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

kickfight wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p … story.html

this poll has been lambasted from day one, and look how it turned out. even with hrc getting a slight edge in the pv, it still fell within the margin of error. something every other (highly paid) polling institution failed to catch.

and sorry about the brief buying spree there regarding the markets. smile there will probably be more opportunities during the next four years. smile

Nov 09 16 09:16 pm Link