Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Bad Video Retouching

Photographer

nathanx

Austin, Texas, US

Don't brag about your stills work until you can do video.
Apparently Maybelline's go to house can't either.

This has been taken from a Nationally Aired Commercial.
https://www.facebook.com/fakefailpost/p … 1892746357

Dec 05 16 08:38 am Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

You misspelled 'spotting'

Dec 05 16 10:41 am Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

The thing we often forget as visual professionals is that the target audience are not other visual professionals. Honestly, what percent of the general public will notice the imperfections that you outlined in those video clips ?   

I see the same thing regarding CGI in film and TV shows on certain blogs by movie critics and super fans. They make statements similar to "That's the worst CGI ever" "I could have done better on my iPhone" "Did they pay someone working in their basement for that work ?"

The fact is, without a trained eye or looping the problematic moment for the viewer to gaze at intensely, they simple will not notice these things in moving images that are on screen for seconds (3 to 4 second maybe). My aunties, sisters, female cousins, etc. only see pretty lashes and want to get whatever the lady on the screen is using to get them so long and pretty. They will not see that the tracking was not done great and lashes are not maintaining alignment by more than 4 pixels as the eyes move.

Dec 05 16 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
The thing we often forget as visual professionals is that the target audience are not other visual professionals. Honestly, what percent of the general public will notice the imperfections that you outlined in those video clips ?   

I see the same thing regarding CGI in film and TV shows on certain blogs by movie critics and super fans. They make statements similar to "That's the worst CGI ever" "I could have done better on my iPhone" "Did they pay someone working in their basement for that work ?"

The fact is, without a trained eye or looping the problematic moment for the viewer to gaze at intensely, they simple will not notice these things in moving images that are on screen for seconds (3 to 4 second maybe). My aunties, sisters, female cousins, etc. only see pretty lashes and want to get whatever the lady on the screen is using to get them so long and pretty. They will not see that the tracking was not done great and lashes are not maintaining alignment by more than 4 pixels as the eyes move.

Few viewers will recognize most errors. But everyone has a chance to see them, and the wider the audience, the more eyeballs there are. People do notice bad cutouts, floating shadows (or incorrect shadows), etc, etc., even though few people will be conscious of any one thing which makes it seem 'off'.

Dec 08 16 09:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

There is no need for a trained eye to know that nobody is born with yellow eyelash tips, so it makes sense that people will stare and see. It is an abuse to the viewer's intelligence to follow a policy of "nobody/a few will notice". Unfortunately it happens way too often. CG artists are exploited worldwide for a price incomparable to what the model/actor gets. No wonder that the word "retoucher" turned into a synonym of something cheap and shoddy.

Dec 09 16 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

nathanx wrote:
This has been taken from a Nationally Aired Commercial.
https://www.facebook.com/fakefailpost/p … 1892746357

So what?  That dude that owns that FB needs to get a life.  Worst than pixel peeping.  Someone would actually waste their time going frame by frame to look for faults...on a 2012 commercial?  So silly.

Dec 12 16 04:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I guess I have seen such failure in many of the times, is it something to be worry about?

Dec 13 16 02:41 am Link

Photographer

nathanx

Austin, Texas, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:

So what?  That dude that owns that FB needs to get a life.  Worst than pixel peeping.  Someone would actually waste their time going frame by frame to look for faults...on a 2012 commercial?  So silly.

If you are ACTUALLY good. You can spot it in real time.
I'm sorry that it's a skill you have to pretend doesn't exist so you can justify yourself as a creative.

I and many other people can spot things like this without framing through.

Jan 03 17 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

nathanx

Austin, Texas, US

How often do we forget that there is Pride and workmanship in one's craft?

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:

Jan 03 17 10:23 pm Link