Forums > Photography Talk > Entry level kit for under $1K?

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Talk to me about pro gear and I can ramble on for hours. Entry-level stuff, not so much. My friend's wife is looking to get into shooting basic portraits, babies, stuff like that. Nothing complicated. She wants to get a DSLR and was thinking on a Nikon D3200. I figure she'll want a couple of Yongnuo speedlights and some inexpensive soft boxes to go with them, but what about lenses? Their total budget is $1,000 for everything, so if they went with a body and a kit lens, what might be a good DX portrait lens they can get for a few hundred bucks? I'm just not that familiar with the DX format anymore. Thoughts?

Dec 12 16 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

my suggestion on a lens for a D3200 is actually a FX lens, a 24-85. I've seen them as referbs for just over $300
very versatile, babies to a small group, pretty sharp and with VR

Dec 12 16 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

I know quite a few model turn photographers and they seem to really love small compact cameras, once they understand they have wonderful image quality for under 1k.

I would recommend mirrorless like the Fuji's or Sony A6000/6300 series.

Dec 12 16 10:28 am Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A used canon 5d ($400), 50 1.4 ($250), yn622 trigger + a flash ($200), ebay light stand and umbrella ($100)

Dec 12 16 10:56 am Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Shot By Adam wrote:
Talk to me about pro gear and I can ramble on for hours. Entry-level stuff, not so much. My friend's wife is looking to get into shooting basic portraits, babies, stuff like that. Nothing complicated. She wants to get a DSLR and was thinking on a Nikon D3200. I figure she'll want a couple of Yongnuo speedlights and some inexpensive soft boxes to go with them, but what about lenses? Their total budget is $1,000 for everything, so if they went with a body and a kit lens, what might be a good DX portrait lens they can get for a few hundred bucks? I'm just not that familiar with the DX format anymore. Thoughts?

I would always recommend the 35mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.8 for someone on a small budget and wanting to take their photography to the next level. Failing that, a third party fixed aperture short zoom would do.

Can they afford the 85mm f/1.8? That's a great portrait lens.

Dec 12 16 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Used Canon 40D    $150
40mm f2.8 Canon STM  $140
100mm f2 Yongnuo   $170
50mm f1.8 Yongnuo  $50               50mm 1.4  ?   
various modifiers stands tripod etc  $140
AB-800 or similar Godox    $250
speedlight  Yongnuo     $80

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/here- … r-canon-ef
https://www.slrlounge.com/yongnuo-enter … 50mm-f1-4/

Dec 12 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

went by the mall photo place yesterday and they were doing kids pics for xmas. i'd say the value of their kit/set (not including the camera/triggers) was at least several thousand dollars (if not more). they had 4-5 studio lights (several ceiling mounted), a special backdrop and some big props. and i'd say their specialty is more in engaging with the customer and immediate printing than the photo quality.

depending on how/where you work (do you like to kill ambient?) i think that having modeling lamps is a big help. even just for controlling pupil size (and also for focus). and in generally i started to get happy after the third light was added (on up to 5 or so).

you could say that ISO doesn't matter for studio work but it may matter for location shots of babies, etc. and those available light baby shooters often have like a 50f1.2 (plus a bunch of props, pillows, etc.) which doesn't come cheap.

Dec 12 16 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

I'm with Motordrive -- a 24-85 f3.5-4.5 VR. Versatile, cheap and very decent image quality. Long enough (on crop sensor) for nice head-and-shoulders perspective, wide enough for most group shots. Fast enough for indoor light or to use with hotshoe flashes like Yongnuo. Team it with a kit lens for the times they want to go wider and you have an excellent starter package. (For Nikon be sure to get the current VR version, which has a much better rep than the earlier model.)

Dec 14 16 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Does it have to be Nikon?  Olympus just introduced the E-M1 MK II and they are blowing out the old E-M1 (which is what I currently shoot with) at $1,299 with the 12-40 2.8 PRO lens (which have retailed for $1,299 and $999 respectively).  Add a couple of these http://www.adorama.com/fplfbf160.html#s … ctOptions, stands and umbrellas and you have a nice starter kit. 

Admittedly over budget, but a great start and something they can grow into and not quickly outgrow.

Dec 15 16 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Paul Richard Wossidlo

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

If someone is going crop-sensor in Nikon I wouldn't recommend anything below a D7XXX series, only because the D7XXX has a focus motor, and the D3XXX and D5XXX do not.  Having a focus motor allows the use of older (and cheaper!) AF or AF-D lenses.  You may pay more for the body up front, but you can make it back on the lenses.  The other problem with D3XXX and D5XXX bodies is that they do not support high-speed sync (HSS).  I'm in several off-camera flash groups and this seems to cause a lot of people grief.

Dec 20 16 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I'd recommend mirrorless as a budget system choice; if you don't mind focusing manually, the amount of lens options and low prices are staggering.

My absolute favourite cost/value performers are the Schneider 50 1.9 and 135 3.5 in m42 mount; if you shop around, both can be had - with adapter - for a little over $300, and will blow any similarly priced OEM lenses out of the water.

Dec 20 16 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I bought my wife a Fuji XT-10 chrome to replace her ancient Canon G10.  Fuji X camera has some awesome lens options for her grow into in the years to come. 

I doubt I will ever give up my Nikon SLR or DSLR, but the top of the line Fuji X camera really attractive to me.  Fujifilm is the camera of the future.  I am willing to put my hard earned money into their products.

Dec 21 16 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

If you're on a real tight budget, get [Insert Brand of Desired System] 50mm f/1.8 , depending on the brand, they're usually under 200 or 100, fast (which covers what most the 'budget' zooms are not), and for someone beginning would achieve that 'effect' most starting people expect to see from a portrait.

The body is lesser to the lens, there it's more able comfort and familiarity. The lens travels thru bodies.

Dec 21 16 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

B&H just listed (Thursday) a Nikon D3400 kit with the 18-55mm and 70-300mm (DX) lenses for $496.95 ($500 off). If you order today by 4pm EST, they are including free next day shipping. I don't think you'll find a better deal on a recently released model.

Add a 50mm f/1.8G lens, on sale for $176.95, and you have a great portrait lens for the DX body.

Since she's interested in portrait work, take the remaining $300 and buy an AlienBees B800 ($279.95) and a simple silver/white reflector. Cheap, reliable, one-light solution with plenty of power. Instead of initially investing in softboxes, bounce off ceilings/walls or buy a roll of Savage Translum to shoot through.

Dec 22 16 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Michael Bots wrote:
Used Canon D40    $150
40mm f2.8 Canon STM  $140
100mm f2 Yongnuo   $170
50mm f1.8 Yongnuo  $50               50mm 1.4  ?   
various modifiers stands tripod etc  $140
AB-800 or similar Godox    $250
speedlight  Yongnuo     $80

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/here- … r-canon-ef
https://www.slrlounge.com/yongnuo-enter … 50mm-f1-4/

Assume you mean the Canon 40D - the only Dxx models were D30 and D60.

Why both a 40mm and a 50mm? Why not replace both with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM?

Dec 22 16 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:
Assume you mean the Canon 40D - the only Dxx models were D30 and D60.

Why both a 40mm and a 50mm? Why not replace both with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM?

Yes I meant  40D
re: lenses - crop sensor - the apparent focal length difference is greater than you would think on a crop body -- 64mm for the 40  and 85something mm for the 50 -- both in the prime portrait focal length range

on Ebay
40D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-40D-D … 2037532171
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-40D-D … 2040395669

bargain 30D body from Goodwill (untested)  -- auction       
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-30D-D … 2068287097

Dec 22 16 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:
B&H just listed (Thursday) a Nikon D3400 kit with the 18-55mm and 70-300mm (DX) lenses for $496.95 ($500 off). If you order today by 4pm EST, they are including free next day shipping. I don't think you'll find a better deal on a recently released model.

Add a 50mm f/1.8G lens, on sale for $176.95, and you have a great portrait lens for the DX body.

Since she's interested in portrait work, take the remaining $300 and buy an AlienBees B800 ($279.95) and a simple silver/white reflector. Cheap, reliable, one-light solution with plenty of power. Instead of initially investing in softboxes, bounce off ceilings/walls or buy a roll of Savage Translum to shoot through.

Best Buy is showing the same $499 deal for the D3400 kit with 2 lenses.

Dec 23 16 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:

Best Buy is showing the same $499 deal for the D3400 kit with 2 lenses.

My store too. That's just the price - the bag and second lens are free.

Dec 23 16 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

If a Nikon or Canon is not a must. I'd suggest and Olympus OM-D EM-10 mark II for $649, you can pick up a used 45mm 1.8 or a 25mm 1.8 for around $200 She can then get an inexpensive speed light, inexpensive triggers, small shoot through umbrella and a stand for roughly $1000 .  She'll love the size and weight of the OM-D with either lens and that combo will produce much better results than any kit lens you can buy for Nikon or Canon.  Fast and tack sharp.  I had the 45 and it focused pretty close too.  You also gain the 5 axis image stabilization for low light shooting and  it also has the silent shutter mode, so she won't get the clickety clack from a shutter when she is close to a sleeping baby.  The rear screen is also touch screen and pivots.  Olympus also has all the creative shooting modes that would be perfect for someone just starting out that doesn't know how to use photoshop or lightroom and wants to show the results as soon as the image is shot. It's a lite and powerful little camera.  Oh and you also get a brand new body and not someones broken down outdated body and slow kit glass.

Dec 28 16 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Jay2G Photography wrote:
If a Nikon or Canon is not a must. I'd suggest and Olympus OM-D EM-10 mark II for $649, you can pick up a used 45mm 1.8 or a 25mm 1.8 for around $200 She can then get an inexpensive speed light, inexpensive triggers, small shoot through umbrella and a stand for roughly $1000 .  She'll love the size and weight of the OM-D with either lens and that combo will produce much better results than any kit lens you can buy for Nikon or Canon.  Fast and tack sharp.  I had the 45 and it focused pretty close too.  You also gain the 5 axis image stabilization for low light shooting and  it also has the silent shutter mode, so she won't get the clickety clack from a shutter when she is close to a sleeping baby.  The rear screen is also touch screen and pivots.  Olympus also has all the creative shooting modes that would be perfect for someone just starting out that doesn't know how to use photoshop or lightroom and wants to show the results as soon as the image is shot. It's a lite and powerful little camera.  Oh and you also get a brand new body and not someones broken down outdated body and slow kit glass.

Not Canon or nikon!?!?  Bu..bu..but...You're NOT allowed to say that here.

Dec 30 16 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Natural Means wrote:

Not Canon or nikon!?!?  Bu..bu..but...You're NOT allowed to say that here.

No? Oh well, personally of the options ive read it would offer the best image quality and performance over an older used body or even a new body with a kit lens.  For what he us asking I think its a great starter for what she is looking to do.

Dec 30 16 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Somebody already said it....but I agree with Sony A6000

Dec 31 16 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

no need to settle for entry-level. pentax k-3, da 50mm 1.8, maybe some older manual lenses and a cheap neewer strobe set.

Jan 02 17 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Winston Image

San Jose, California, US

PhotoByWayne wrote:
A used canon 5d ($400), 50 1.4 ($250), yn622 trigger + a flash ($200), ebay light stand and umbrella ($100)

I bought a Canon 5D for $365 on eBay on Christmas day, and started using it with the 50mm F1.8 lens.  I'm very happy with the image quality especially bokeh it produces.  My main camera is 5D Mark II, but I wanted to have a second full-frame  camera that I can carry around more often.

Jan 07 17 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

I like the post by Michael (above) suggesting a Canon 40d. If I remember correctly this DSLR had a pretty advanced focusing system, and certainly better image quality than my old 30d, which I still use today after upgrading to 7d and more recently a 5d. Actually, either one of these DSLRs (30 or 40d) can be picked up for a song these days and they are an awesome value.

Jan 09 17 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

With this original post being a month old now.  Did they decide?

Jan 14 17 08:40 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Eyesso wrote:
Somebody already said it....but I agree with Sony A6000

the 6300 will almost max out the budget on its own other than on a 5 minute period around black friday or easter monday or something.  998US body only.   It's a great camera. I'm getting one in the near future for when I don't feel like lugging around an a99 and all that glass.  but there are more reasonable options.  even the 6000 is a bit much.  I'm a sony alpha male.  no question.  but if the OP hasn't made a decision yet, I'd recommend the other packages listed.

Jan 15 17 09:07 am Link