https://www.dpreview.com/news/950367582 … ektachrome

Jan 05 17 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Kodak Ektachrome has been resurrected.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/950367582 … ektachrome

Great news! I so loved using Ektachrome, almost as much as Fujichrome Provia 100.

Jan 05 17 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

For the hipsters i suppose. I never liked that film...except for cross processing

Jan 05 17 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I am glad I still have my slide projector......hahaaaa.  tongue

Jan 05 17 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Connor Photography wrote:
I am glad I still have my slide projector......hahaaaa.  tongue

I still have my slide projector, spare bulbs, hundreds of slides and film cameras.   smile

Jan 05 17 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Yosh Studio wrote:
For the hipsters i suppose. I never liked that film...except for cross processing

Agreed. I suspect that about half of their target audience would buy it only because they didn't know the difference between Kodachrome and Kodak Ektachrome.

Jan 05 17 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Zack Zoll wrote:
Agreed. I suspect that about half of their target audience would buy it only because they didn't know the difference between Kodachrome and Kodak Ektachrome.

Truth! As long as there was Kodachrome in the bag the back up rolls of Ektachrome never saw the light of day. It was so damn blue in the shadows and ruddy skin tones. So forget about shooting in open shade.
My studio mate back in those days was a 4x5 product shooter and like Ektachrome, he really loved the blues & grays.

Jan 05 17 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

Truth! As long as there was Kodachrome in the bag the back up rolls of Ektachrome never saw the light of day. It was so damn blue in the shadows and ruddy skin tones. So forget about shooting in open shade.
My studio mate back in those days was a 4x5 product shooter and like Ektachrome, he really loved the blues & grays.

There is an old Ektachrome image in my portfolio.  It has had many views.

Jan 05 17 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

EPP was my film of choice most of my commercial life.  I liked the film much better than Kodachrome.  It just was more reliable for me.  I just hated having to color test every batch.  Ahh the 80's are back.

Jan 05 17 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Yeah, at 33 I think I'm too young to appreciate slide film for what it ACTUALLY was. I shot plenty, because I'm an experimenter by nature ... but colour reversal films were good for almost as long as I can remember, and b the time I knew enough to be really critical, any minute differences didn't matter, since by then I was mostly doing bw personal work anyway, and client work was all digital.

There is something absolutely magical about a LF slide on a light table ... But printed? Nope. Not since Portrait and 400H came out and they canned Cibachrome.

Most of this retro revolution lacks context. Records aren't better just because you have an $89 turntable. Depeche Mode was awesome because of what came before. And slide film was awesome because colour negs sucked.

Jan 05 17 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Yeah, at 33 I think I'm too young to appreciate slide film for what it ACTUALLY was. I shot plenty, because I'm an experimenter by nature ... but colour reversal films were good for almost as long as I can remember, and b the time I knew enough to be really critical, any minute differences didn't matter, since by then I was mostly doing bw personal work anyway, and client work was all digital.

There is something absolutely magical about a LF slide on a light table ... But printed? Nope. Not since Portrait and 400H came out and they canned Cibachrome.

Most of this retro revolution lacks context. Records aren't better just because you have an $89 turntable. Depeche Mode was awesome because of what came before. And slide film was awesome because colour negs sucked.

My turntable cost a couple grand, so, you know, my Miles Davis records sound amazing!!!  big_smile

Plate burning and scanning was where chromes really shined.  In competent hands you color neg didn't suck if you were making a wet print for a traditional family portrait, but the stuff sucked to make a plate from or to later scan.  If you were going to press print, you really had to shoot chromes so that you could make a plate. 

Cibachrome prints were truly magical to behold.  Peter Lik shot chromes for Nat Geo for decades and since started a number of commercial galleries (basically a photographic version of Thomas Kincaid).  No matter what you may think of the work, his large scale Cibachrome prints are simply stunning.  There just isn't anything like it.  Digital has been great in advancing capture, however, the downside has been the shitty prints that have come as a result.

Jan 06 17 08:06 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I shot Kodachrome for publication for many years in NYC, Ektachrome was not a contender for quality prepress color, and the incomparable Cibachrome print portfolio kept me employed in the most competitive photography market in the World.

Digital has eliminated the finest materials ever produced, is that progress?

Jan 06 17 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
There is an old Ektachrome image in my portfolio.  It has had many views.

Yeah but how many likes does it have? smile

In all seriousness, I have 3 Ektachrome customs PS actions I use quite often.

Jan 06 17 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

Yeah but how many likes does it have? smile

In all seriousness, I have 3 Ektachrome customs PS actions I use quite often.

Mine is an original Ektachrome that I scanned.

Jan 06 17 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

It's an awful chrome film. Once i discovered Velvia, never look back.

Jan 06 17 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Mine is an original Ektachrome that I scanned.

The original Ektachrome emulsion or Plus EPP, which wasnt so bad?

Jan 06 17 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Peter de Groot

Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands

Great news! I hope that 4x5 or 8x10 will be in it in the future as well....one can only hope :-)

Jan 06 17 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

The original Ektachrome emulsion or Plus EPP, which wasnt so bad?

The original Ektachrome slide.

Jan 06 17 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

My avatar was shot on Ektachrome.  About 26 nice comments and about 9 lists or so.  She, Gina, is also the mother of actress Alexa Vega.  But when she was just a teenager herself.  Good lord, where does the time go?

Jan 06 17 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Peter de Groot wrote:
Great news! I hope that 4x5 or 8x10 will be in it in the future as well....one can only hope :-)

You can glue them together with Scott tape to any size you want.  Just don't put finger prints on the emulsion side.  LOL

Jan 06 17 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I knew there was a reason I kept my film cameras, now if I can only convince them to make it for the 120 format.

Jan 08 17 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I picked up an almost new D5 for about $200 back when everyone was dumping them. Could be a good excuse to use it.

Jan 08 17 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

In my opinion they are re-releasing the wrong emulsion in the wrong size.
(it's my understanding that they are going with the basic E100 emulsion)
EPP 100 or E100SW in 120 or 4x5 would be more useful to photographers.
(but I guess if this is the emulsion that cinematographers want it's kind of a gimme to also release it in 35mm)

and it is nice to see a Kodak option in transparency film again.

Jan 09 17 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

There is also rumour that Kodachrome may also make a comeback. Like I said a rumour!

Jan 09 17 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Andy Durazo wrote:
There is also rumour that Kodachrome may also make a comeback. Like I said a rumour!

A rumour that started four years ago.

The problem isn't the film; it's the developer. It doesn't meet modern environmental standards, and there isn't anywhere near enough profit to redesign it. If you've noticed, almost all of the 'new' films introduced in the last decade are based on (very) old recipes; I think the last all-new film was Ektar.

Jan 09 17 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

Zack Zoll wrote:

A rumour that started four years ago.

The problem isn't the film; it's the developer. It doesn't meet modern environmental standards, and there isn't anywhere near enough profit to redesign it. If you've noticed, almost all of the 'new' films introduced in the last decade are based on (very) old recipes; I think the last all-new film was Ektar.

Actually the rumour I heard is from a distributor so I take it with a bit more credibility than the old ones. Yes K-14 is a dirty process but who knows. Like I said a rumour.

My hope is that they bring back the printing papers.

Jan 09 17 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Fotopia wrote:
Digital has eliminated the finest materials ever produced, is that progress?

The evolution of photography since it started focused no professionals has been always about convenience first and quality afterwards.

Jan 10 17 01:42 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

The original Ektachrome slide.

Pre 1989 Ektachrome was awful stuff, very yellow and just hideous! The new Ektachrome HC was a vast improvement, and all subsequent Ektachromes were a step up too, especially E100G, VS etc. I shot on Kodak film stock pretty much from 1982 to around 1992 when I switched to Fujichrome permanently! The big yellow was given a huge kick in the ass after Velvia and Provia 100F (best slide film ever) took hold and sadly never really recovered.

Kodachrome was pretty good under the right shooting conditions (late and early outdoor light), but horrible at any other time, especially the 64 version.

I must have around 10000 slides that need to be archived.

Jan 10 17 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Andy Durazo wrote:

Actually the rumour I heard is from a distributor so I take it with a bit more credibility than the old ones. Yes K-14 is a dirty process but who knows. Like I said a rumour.

My hope is that they bring back the printing papers.

You mean Cibachrome? That was as bad as K-14!

I don't doubt that a product labelled 'Kodachrome' will eventually be for sale. But it's not going to be the same thing as it was. It might actually be better, but it's not going to be The Good Old Days.

Jan 10 17 08:46 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I see that the Kodak CEO publicly confirmed this week that they're "actively" trying to figure out whether they can also resurrect Kodachrome as well.  He made it clear that it was much more difficult to do, so we'll have to see.

Jan 10 17 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

Zack Zoll wrote:

You mean Cibachrome? That was as bad as K-14!

I don't doubt that a product labelled 'Kodachrome' will eventually be for sale. But it's not going to be the same thing as it was. It might actually be better, but it's not going to be The Good Old Days.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/023179147 … kodachrome

Jan 11 17 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I read that too. I stand by my prediction.

Jan 11 17 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

ektachome is made with dye couplers in the emulsion, the stability was less than the kodachrome process where the dye process occurred during processing. all films change over time after manufacture. "professional" color film was supposed to be used almost immediately. consumer film was not as critical and the longer shelf life and color changes were known.

the professional film was supposed to be handled differently by dealers. the manufacturing allowances were stricter and the color was kept to a tighter tolerance. there were huge differences between the kodak lab results and private lab results. kodak slides had better dmax and color consistency.

color shifts, poor contrast were normal for most private labs that didn't mix chemicals carefully, replenish poorly or refilled their line before exhaustion. also, the kodak labs mix their chemistry a little differently than their instructions in the e-6 kits and kept very good quality control.

Jan 11 17 04:11 pm Link