Forums > Newbie Forum > Models that don't credit you.....

Photographer

5 Boro Photography nyc

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Anyone else here encounter this?

Jan 06 17 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

https://youtu.be/ZCVR_ajL_Eo

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Jan 07 17 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Five Borough Photograph wrote:
Models that don't credit you.....

Mayhem is primarily a hobbyist portal... this goes pretty much for most models... Once a model reaches commercial status (i.e. signed by an agency) they delete their Mayhem account.  THIS has been my experience in many cases...

If you're goal is to shoot commercially Mayhem isn't the place to be... It in no way reflects the actual industry...
You are fortunate to be located in a major market, perhaps the center of the fashion industry...

Best advice? Work only with agency talent... But you'll need a portfolio which reflects the current visual statement of the agencies you wish to collaborate with...

Need and example?  Might start with the Development Boards of DNA  both Women and Men
Carefully study the folios of a large sample of both these boards and shoot to mirror their visual statement.
Keep in mind you portfolio should have a health ethnic and gender mix.

Final thoughts? Mayhem isn't a social network, if you are focused on what hobbyist models think about your efforts you might try FaceBook instead... Hope this makes sense...

All the best on your journey...

Jan 07 17 05:53 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

It happens.  You can drop a note to the model and ask her to add the credits.  It may be that she doesn't know how.  You can add a requirement to your contract, if you use one, that demands credits, but then you have to enforce it.

Credited photos that are in your port are reflected in the models port.  The other person is notified if you get a comment.  There are advantages to each of you from a networking standpoint, to credit everyone on the team.  I notice that you have credited most of your models.  It is possible that the one not credited is not on MM.  Often people will make that statement in the comments section.  If a model looks at your port and hits just that one model, she may think you do not credit models.  I noticed one photo where you mention the model and the website in the comment section but did not give her the credit that would like the shot to her profile.

You are new.  Welcome to MM.  I suggest to you, and every other new person, that you invest some time in reading the forums and the edu section.  In the forums you will find many topics that come up often.  Sometimes multiple threads about the same things in different forum areas.  A time investment now will help you avoid some of the common crap.  Participation in the forums also helps people to get to know you.

Good luck!

Jan 07 17 05:59 am Link

Photographer

5 Boro Photography nyc

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Hunter,thank you for pointing out the omission, I thought I had covered everyone ,but I'm brand new in using the site-if you could privately message me as to which one  I missed ,I'd  be grateful. The only model not properly credited is impossible to be credited here,she's a friend who graciously volunteered to help out....

Jan 07 17 07:03 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Hunter,thank you for pointing out the omission, I thought I had covered everyone ,but I'm brand new in using the site-if you could privately message me as to which one  I missed ,I'd  be grateful. The only model not properly credited is impossible to be credited here,she's a friend who graciously volunteered to help out....

Responded by PM.  Again, good luck.

Jan 07 17 07:45 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Anyone else here encounter This? Especially when they use one of your shots in their portfolio...

Have you considered that not everyone wants credit? ;-)

PS
While the APA Manual says that it's inappropriate for a significant author/contributor to not take credit for an academic peer-reviewed publication, this is not an academic exercise for most people. Some who barely meet the definition of professional and some who very clearly do not. LOL.

The standards, norms, and mores of the normal world, in many cases to not apply in the modeling and MM world. It's certainly an adjustment. Learn to adapt to the culture! Time warps. This is not FedEx. We're not running off of GMT or USNO time. etc.

Try to enjoy your time here on MM and not get overly contorted over nonstandard behavior!  People take huge artistic, etc. license! LOL. :-)

There are things that drive me very crazy! But that's another story!

Most people are very decent people.  BTW, it's possible that they may have just forgotten who you are? I know that may seem odd but I've been dunned for images from a model I've never shot with. And she's normally very sane. Memory can be malleable.

Welcome to the mayhem! ;-)

Jan 07 17 09:07 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I've found if you don't give them photos then this isn't an issue... wink

Seriously though, you van send a polite request, it may or may not work.

Jan 07 17 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Most of the time the model does not know any better. It is the professional etiquette that they have not had a chance to development.  Of course in some cases they may do this on purpose. There is nothing you can do.  I won't get mad at them but move on. 

To prevent this happening, I always make a effect to spend 10 to 15 min before I pick up my camera to shoot.  I go thru the model release, my shooting process and what our expected responsibilities are in our shoot, the courtesy of giving credits to each other until request not to other wise.  And I hope for the best.....LOL  big_smile

Jan 07 17 02:45 pm Link