Forums > General Industry > Models who do not view your portfolio...

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

This may be more crafted towards the photographers here, but I am curious how you handle models who solicit you for work that obviously have not viewed your portfolio (and/or gallery on MM) and when communicating with them they sort of show their hand they have not.

I seem to average a good 50% of contacts on here who are oblivious to the style/themes/production I do and I have to lead them in that direction. Usually I do not bother with people who approach me in a manner of getting paid only but I am curious as to others how you go about this. There are some very EXTREMELY skilled photographers on this site that produce a quality that would imply the model would be paying you for that talent, and I'm sure you get these solicitations as well.

And to the models, maybe you can explain why you don't quickly browse a photographers gallery to get familiar with the style and quality he/she is producing? As we always browse yours. Just curious.

Feb 08 17 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Andrew Bruce wrote:
I am curious how you handle models who solicit you for work that obviously have not viewed your portfolio (and/or gallery on MM).

I evaluate her on her modeling ability.  Her viewing my images is not a prerequisite -- I will, however, view her profile & gallery (and assess other factors).

Feb 08 17 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

My thoughts are similar to Looknsee.   

What matters is whether I think a model is suitable in terms of her look, her rates and her availability.   Whether she's viewed my portfolio, likes it or doesn't like it has little bearing on her suitability.

Feb 08 17 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

If someone is contacting me for a job, I am more interested in the actual details of the job then a portfolio.

Date
Time
Theme
THEN the portfolio gets looked over, to see if it is a project I want to work with.
Since I work with many students and beginners, they are just starting their portfolios and there is no discernable style so it is a crapshoot as to what sort of images will actually be taken.

If I am contacting someone to work with them, then yes, I'll check out their portfolio.
If I see images that include several styles.
indoor
outdoor
clothes
lingerie
horror
portrait
sexy

I'm just going to think they have no style or direction & have to ask a bunch of questions to see what it is they are shooting with me.

Last weeks portfolio, is less important than next weeks job.

Feb 08 17 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Ionalynn wrote:
Last weeks portfolio, is less important than next weeks job.

Great summation.

Feb 08 17 09:46 am Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Andrew Bruce wrote:
I seem to average a good 50% of contacts on here who are oblivious to the style/themes/production I do and I have to lead them in that direction.

I looked at both your MM gallery and the one linked in your profile and it looks like you shoot anything except fashion, (but that there's no reason you couldn't try fashion) so I'm honestly not sure what you mean.  Are models contacting you to shoot [genre A]  and you are annoyed because you only shoot [genre B]?  Because your portfolio says you shoot A, B, C, D, and so on. 

Andrew Bruce wrote:
Usually I do not bother with people who approach me in a manner of getting paid only but I am curious as to others how you go about this. There are some very EXTREMELY skilled photographers on this site that produce a quality that would imply the model would be paying you for that talent, and I'm sure you get these solicitations as well.

Published, working photographers still pay models when they want to do a personal project, as these personal projects rarely have any place in a model's portfolio.  If the photographer works on commercial projects, that pay can sometimes be the understanding that the model will be considered more favorably than other models when a commercial project comes around.  Most photographers on MM cannot claim to ever have any commercial opportunities for models, so they are generally going to be asked for cash.

I can sympathize though: there is something about someone with no tearsheets (when you have many tearsheets) sliding into your PM's and telling you they know how to improve your portfolio (it's by paying them money) that's very *omg how dare*.  But.  It's literally just spam.  Delete the message and never think of them again.  Or think of them sometimes to laugh about it inside your head.  There was this one guy who messaged me, who took terrible photos, and then photoshopped them into even worse fake tearsheets (like for Ralph Lauren but the models were orange because he didn't know how to white balance, and in shadow because he only appeared to own one lamp), and thinking about him still makes me snicker out loud.  I should have saved the link to his port.

Feb 08 17 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

Victoria Elle wrote:

Andrew Bruce wrote:
I seem to average a good 50% of contacts on here who are oblivious to the style/themes/production I do and I have to lead them in that direction.

I looked at both your MM gallery and the one linked in your profile and it looks like you shoot anything except fashion, (but that there's no reason you couldn't try fashion) so I'm honestly not sure what you mean.  Are models contacting you to shoot [genre A]  and you are annoyed because you only shoot [genre B]?  Because your portfolio says you shoot A, B, C, D, and so on. 

Published, working photographers still pay models when they want to do a personal project, as these personal projects rarely have any place in a model's portfolio.  If the photographer works on commercial projects, that pay can sometimes be the understanding that the model will be considered more favorably than other models when a commercial project comes around.  Most photographers on MM cannot claim to ever have any commercial opportunities for models, so they are generally going to be asked for cash.

I can sympathize though: there is something about someone with no tearsheets (when you have many tearsheets) sliding into your PM's and telling you they know how to improve your portfolio (it's by paying them money) that's very *omg how dare*.  But.  It's literally just spam.  Delete the message and never think of them again.  Or think of them sometimes to laugh about it inside your head.  There was this one guy who messaged me, who took terrible photos, and then photoshopped them into even worse fake tearsheets (like for Ralph Lauren but the models were orange because he didn't know how to white balance, and in shadow because he only appeared to own one lamp), and thinking about him still makes me snicker out loud.  I should have saved the link to his port.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Maybe I'm trying to decipher who is on here for artistry vs. monetary compensation.

Aside from a more boudoir styled shoot, my main theme is horror. It always helps to have someone two feet first into wanting to present that style than someone just doing it to do it. In my general area/location my themes are rare, especially dealing with erotic Vampiress/undead ideas, which in turn also makes me in higher demand. I can tell when someone hasn't browsed my profile because they immediately go into compensation for making images for their portfolio, so I've always found that odd. The style I produce costs a decent amount of money and planning (as I'm sure does with most shoots).

Feb 09 17 06:34 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Andrew Bruce wrote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Maybe I'm trying to decipher who is on here for artistry vs. monetary compensation.

Many people are, but art doesn't keep your belly warm at night.

Andrew Bruce wrote:
they immediately go into compensation for making images for their portfolio

Greed, what would we do without it!

Feb 09 17 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Andrew Bruce wrote:

Many people are, but art doesn't keep your belly warm at night.

Greed, what would we do without it!

Understandable. I'm coming at it from a perspective of someone who has a career in Graphic Design and do Photography as a hobby. So it's understood some use this as a means to make money.

Feb 10 17 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Andrew Bruce wrote:

I don't understand why that matters?  As the photographer, I'm the "project leader", and I'm just looking for reliable, talented, skilled people to help me achieve what I am trying to achieve.  "Artistry vs. Monetary" doesn't matter to me -- I can easily work with either.

Why does it matter?  Do you only want to work with artists?  Do you only want to work with "professionals"?  Can you only get what you want from one classification & not the other?

Being cynical, I tend to believe that photographers who want to work with "artists" are hoping to find models they don't have to pay.  I kinda believe that photographers seeking "artists" are motivated by money.

Feb 10 17 08:15 am Link