Forums > Photography Talk > Opinions Appreciated. Time for an Investment.

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

New Britain, Connecticut, US

Hello again MM. I would like to preface by saying i did a quick forum search and returned one link.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/956228

I have put off buying an extra gear mostly because I don't know what I will need. I have a canon EOS rebel T5 and was wondering what gear I should get next. I know I could use some things but I am not really sure what I should get and what will be used enough to make the purchase worth it. I am really just looking for suggestions. The kit that I bought came with a 18-55mm and 75-300mm. I am thinking that a tripod would help me with landscapes and experimenting with longer shutter speeds.  maybe a different lens? Reflectors so I can really mess around with lighting.

The thing is that I am poor and this might take a few weeks of financial fortitude to obtain my next piece of equipment. So my question, simply put, "What would you suggest is the best investment of my money to further my learning and possibly level me up?"  I have an infinite ocean of information at my fingertips so I simply need a direction to go. My social media is largely the same (@ibecheshirecat) so if you look me up on twitter, facebook, deviant art, instagram or whatever I should be easy enough to find. Also I have more or less started tagging my stuff with #ibecheshirecat in the hopes that I can easily track my images over time. (IDK if that will effect your recommendation, but it is all there.)

Thanks a bunch for reading this and even more for your feed back.

Feb 10 17 05:29 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

ibecheshirecat wrote:
I have put off buying an extra gear mostly because I don't know what I will need.

Don't buy anything. Knowledge will make you a better photographer more quickly than new equipment. Ask yourself what your current gear can't do that you need it to. When you can answer that, you'll have the knowledge to guide what you need to buy, if anything at all.

More talented photographers have been making better photographs than yours* with less equipment for decades. It's not about gear.

*Edited to add: this is in no way a dig at your photographs. I didn't even look at your portfolio before writing the above, but I'm fairly confident that it is a true statement for your photographs, my photographs, and pretty anyone you or I know.

Feb 10 17 06:32 am Link

Photographer

timeless image

Houston, Texas, US

One suggestion would be to get rid of the 75-300, if you like that range try the 70-300is much better lens for just a little more money on the used market.
To a large extent it's all about the glass. Once you get the experience.

Feb 10 17 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Don't buy anything.

Your lenses have the range of focal lengths covered.  Another lens will just be a duplicate.

You don't seem to have any interest in landscapes.  If you do want to dabble, you don't need a tripod.

What do you think that you will accomplish with longer exposures?

A reflector might be useful and also someone to hold it.

Take lots of pictures.  Utilize that ocean of information to develop your technical skill and your artistic ability.

Feb 10 17 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

Gonna try and respond to everyone here. Thank you all for the responses.

AgX wrote:
Don't buy anything. Knowledge will make you a better photographer more quickly than new equipment. Ask yourself what your current gear can't do that you need it to. When you can answer that, you'll have the knowledge to guide what you need to buy, if anything at all.

More talented photographers have been making better photographs than yours with less equipment for decades. It's not about gear.

What cant my gear do currently? not really sure... I know that my little tiny flash is not very good at illuminating the space  I sometimes need it to. Good for fill light but yeah I try not to over use it.. Might be under using it. Since I have no gear but the camera body and kit lens Im not really sure what the limits are.

I currently don't really do much in the way of post processing. so that might be a direction to go.  I am fairly limited to using natural light or ambient light and can only modify it so much with floor or table lamps. I am limited in ways to bend light and have no real way to play with it past trying to be sneaky with how I am shooting trying to use my environment to bounce light the best I can.  I cant experiment with longer shutter speeds limiting my ability to shoot at night.  I am interested in light painting. I don't have to buy overly priced photo equipment to do some of the things.. im not trying to buy anything that wont get some kind of semi regular use.

timeless image wrote:
One suggestion would be to get rid of the 75-300, if you like that range try the 70-300is much better lens for just a little more money on the used market.
To a large extent it's all about the glass. Once you get the experience.

Noted. I will look into it.. for right now lenses are secondary but I do not know alot and think that if I buy or rent one (more likely rent first) I would compare what it does to what my lenses do and see if I like it better or if it would get more use than one of my others. I like to figure things out and learn stuff so my attraction to photography is really based in learning and doing and applying in different ways.

Mark Salo wrote:
Don't buy anything.
Your lenses have the range of focal lengths covered.  Another lens will just be a duplicate.
You don't seem to have any interest in landscapes.  If you do want to dabble, you don't need a tripod.
What do you think that you will accomplish with longer exposures?
A reflector might be useful and also someone to hold it.
Take lots of pictures.  Utilize that ocean of information to develop your technical skill and your artistic ability.

In order (by line)

I have not bought anything extra for my camera since I bought it. (replacement plan via best buy excluded)

yeah I am aware. but there are different lenses that fall outside of that range and have different crop factors zoom capability.  my 75-300 requires me to get pretty close to animals if I want a decent size squirrel, and forget deer. the moment I move they are gone.

I do have an interest in landscapes and nature photography but I can only get my camera down to 1/45s and hold it stable enough to reduce or completely eliminate any shake... 1/25s (maybe) if I am shooting prone.

I will be able to play with light painting and expand the possible hours of shooting to night time as well as day with out pumping my ISO too high.

I spent 3 and a half hours in a sunbeam with a ceramic fairy using my hand to try and bounce the light from behind and fill the shadows on her face. I think doing it on a larger scale might be fun and I will have them if needed in the future.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not looking to spend money needlessly. I am looking to experiment and figure out. There are a ton of different sub genres of photography from nature to food to portrait... I want to experiment with the ones I am interested in. I realize that all I need to take a good photo is a camera and knowledge and experience at the same time I am not going to get a nice photo of a cardinal sitting in tree with a coolpix L11 or my camera phone. Maybe I should amend my question. 

What was the first gear bought outside of your initial camera purchase? Was it a good purchase for you and why? What did it allow you to learn or do that you couldn't before?

I've dug through youtube, specifically B&H photo , Chelsea and Tony, froknows photo, slr lounge and others. I am currently read through the first of 4 text book style books. "Studio Anywhere" 1 and 2. "picture Perfect Posing" (the one I am in right now ) and picture perfect practice guide thingy. (i should look at that one right now)

Feb 10 17 07:59 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

ibecheshirecat wrote:
What was the first gear bought outside of your initial camera purchase? Was it a good purchase for you and why? What did it allow you to learn or do that you couldn't before?

The first pieces of gear (I don't remember the order or whether I purchased them together) were:

1. Canon 85 mm f/1.8 lens
2. Lastolite reflector and stand

Both of these were great purchases.  I was (and still am) interested primarily in portrait images.  The difference working with the 85 mm f/1.8 lens compared with the kit 18-55 was awesome for portraits.  It allowed me to work in a broader range of natural light (this was a long time ago when ISO 800 was about as high as my camera - the original Canon Digital Rebel - could go without getting really noisy) and with shallow depth of field which really appealed to me.  I have since replaced my camera and switched to Nikon, but the Canon 85 mm f/1.8 is my favourite lens of all time (for portraits).

The reflector allowed me to begin to shape the light and create the different fill ratios I desired for the images I was taking.  The stand was necessary because I much prefer not to need anyone else to help out.  More than 10 years later I still use that same reflector and stand in about 50% of the shoots I do today.  By far the best money I ever spent on photography gear.  However, you can just use some white foam core clamped/taped to something (light stand, chair. etc.) to get started.

I hope that's helpful.

Feb 10 17 08:31 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

3rd vote for a Reflector, they're a reasonably inexpensive tool (buy a good one) and will put light where You want it.

Feb 10 17 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

David Kirk wrote:

The first pieces of gear (I don't remember the order or whether I purchased them together) were:

1. Canon 85 mm f/1.8 lens
2. Lastolite reflector and stand

Both of these were great purchases.  I was (and still am) interested primarily in portrait images.  The difference working with the 85 mm f/1.8 lens compared with the kit 18-55 was awesome for portraits.  It allowed me to work in a broader range of natural light (this was a long time ago when ISO 800 was about as high as my camera - the original Canon Digital Rebel - could go without getting really noisy) and with shallow depth of field which really appealed to me.  I have since replaced my camera and switched to Nikon, but the Canon 85 mm f/1.8 is my favourite lens of all time (for portraits).

The reflector allowed me to begin to shape the light and create the different fill ratios I desired for the images I was taking.  The stand was necessary because I much prefer not to need anyone else to help out.  More than 10 years later I still use that same reflector and stand in about 50% of the shoots I do today.  By far the best money I ever spent on photography gear.  However, you can just use some white foam core clamped/taped to something (light stand, chair. etc.) to get started.

I hope that's helpful.

This is perfect mostly because it answers the question without lecturing. The 85 f/1.8 lens is exactly the same lens I was looking at  back in November. I watched a couple reviews all loved the lens for what they were using it for. and the price tag back then was about $130 so it is relatively cheap considering. I decided against getting that at that time. My thinking was that I have two different lenses already which I am experimenting with. It is something on my wishlist. (AKA where my wants and desires go to die)

Thank you for the alternative (budget) solution to reflectors. I will start giving that a go while I shop for a pack of reflectors w/stand. I have no problem working with people and really don't mind guests and friends showing up or going with but I don't want to have to rely on a second body if I do not have to.

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
3rd vote for a Reflector, they're a reasonably inexpensive tool (buy a good one) and will put light where You want it.

Any suggestions?

Feb 10 17 09:39 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

ibecheshirecat wrote:
Any suggestions?

I own a 41" x 74" Photoflex lite disc I'm fond of. the build quality is good. Lastolite has been mentioned.

Feb 10 17 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I own a 41" x 74" Photoflex lite disc I'm fond of. the build quality is good. Lastolite has been mentioned.

Thanks I will look at that specific thing during my shopping

Feb 10 17 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

A tripod is a relatively cheap buy that can help alot. I recommend the brand Slik, well built japanese brand that have models under $50, they have removable quick release plate to make attaching much quicker. Tripod and a desk lamp is how I learned tabletop and studio lighting. Backing board from comic book store makes a good reflector, as does a free silver windshield blocker i picked up, or foamcore from people's science projects. Other than that you just go out and shoot anything and everything. Going to library to borrow a book on layout and composition probably helps new photographers much more than getting more gear.

Oh and maybe an extra camera battery, I've seen people trying to use a Rebel professionally have like 6 extra batteries with them. Never really had that problem with pro bodies, I just keep a spare thats rarely used.

Feb 10 17 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

Yingwah Productions wrote:
A tripod is a relatively cheap buy that can help alot. I recommend the brand Slik, well built japanese brand that have models under $50, they have removable quick release plate to make attaching much quicker. Tripod and a desk lamp is how I learned tabletop and studio lighting. Backing board from comic book store makes a good reflector, as does a free silver windshield blocker i picked up, or foamcore from people's science projects. Other than that you just go out and shoot anything and everything. Going to library to borrow a book on layout and composition probably helps new photographers much more than getting more gear.

Oh and maybe an extra camera battery, I've seen people trying to use a Rebel professionally have like 6 extra batteries with them. Never really had that problem with pro bodies, I just keep a spare thats rarely used.

Tyvm

Feb 10 17 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

ibecheshirecat wrote:
Hello again MM. I would like to preface by saying i did a quick forum search and returned one link.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/956228

I have put off buying an extra gear mostly because I don't know what I will need. I have a canon EOS rebel T5 and was wondering what gear I should get next. I know I could use some things but I am not really sure what I should get and what will be used enough to make the purchase worth it. I am really just looking for suggestions. The kit that I bought came with a 18-55mm and 75-300mm. I am thinking that a tripod would help me with landscapes and experimenting with longer shutter speeds.  maybe a different lens? Reflectors so I can really mess around with lighting.

The thing is that I am poor and this might take a few weeks of financial fortitude to obtain my next piece of equipment. So my question, simply put, "What would you suggest is the best investment of my money to further my learning and possibly level me up?"  I have an infinite ocean of information at my fingertips so I simply need a direction to go. My social media is largely the same (@ibecheshirecat) so if you look me up on twitter, facebook, deviant art, instagram or whatever I should be easy enough to find. Also I have more or less started tagging my stuff with #ibecheshirecat in the hopes that I can easily track my images over time. (IDK if that will effect your recommendation, but it is all there.)

Thanks a bunch for reading this and even more for your feed back.

Emphasis added.

Hi Ibe!

I celebrate your desire to make the most of your investment!  You're smart to do that.

Here's the deal.  You know something about what you want to do, but not a lot.  You want some new equipment to bring you to the next level, but you don't even know how that next level looks.  I would not spend any money on anything at the moment, not even a tripod.  You don't even know what you need for a tripod.  Yet.  You're in a cool spot however.  Here's what I'd suggest you consider.

Save your money.  You don't know what you want.  Especially if money is an issue, don't waste it.

Look for photos you admire.  Look through the images area on Google.  Look through 500px.com for subjects that interest you.  Look with the intent that you want to recreate that image!  Yes, duplicate what's out there.  This is a learning exercise, not a career limiting move.  Why do this?  You want to know something about the photos you want to make.  You don't yet.  You have learning to do.  (We're all learning.)  Once you can recreate the kinds of images you like, you'll find yourself adding your own vision to those reproductions.  They'll stop becoming copies of others' photos and will become photos that are uniquely yours.

Not once did you say there's some category or class of photo you want to take that you can't easily take with your current T5.  That suggests to me that you are either not pushing your gear to its limits or that your gear is not holding you back.  "I am thinking that a tripod would help me with landscapes and experimenting with longer shutter speeds," isn't the same as, "I need this category of tripod because I want to take sunset photos of this particular landscape, and in that location it is windier than a gale on the high seas!"  The former could be any tripod; the latter is far more specific regarding what you need for a tripod.  Use a chair and a beanbag as a tripod of sorts, in conjunction with the built-in timer.  Can you take the photos you want now?  What other makeshift items can you fashion for your photography?  What limitations do you have now?

There's a YouTube channel called DigitalRev TV, declining since they've lost their main people, but with one category of videos called Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge.  They give pro photographers/videographers absolute junk and expect them to take a good photo.  Chase Jarvis did his with a Lego® camera.  Could he get everything he'd normally get?  No!  Absolutely not.  He still got some cool photos, and understood the limitations of the Lego® camera.

One option over purchasing is to rent equipment.  Lenses and camera bodies are easy to rent, assuming you have a credit card.  While expense is involved, you have the opportunity to find out quickly if some lens will work for you.  But again, this assumes you have some sense that <piece of equipment A> is going to help you shoot the photos you want to shoot.

I hope this helps!  I've been short on money in the past so I grok.  Accordingly I have zero desire to waste my money.  Even with the best planning you'll find that some piece of camera gear you deemed essential will sit idle a month after you purchase it.

Take your time.  You've got some good gear, and it appears you're not yet at its limits.  Push yourself and your gear.  Then see if you need anything.  If you don't, then use it to travel to take photos in places away from your home!

I hope this helps!

Feb 10 17 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

Graham Glover wrote:
Here's the deal.  You know something about what you want to do, but not a lot.  You want some new equipment to bring you to the next level, but you don't even know how that next level looks.  I would not spend any money on anything at the moment, not even a tripod.  You don't even know what you need for a tripod.  Yet.  You're in a cool spot however.  Here's what I'd suggest you consider.

Save your money.  You don't know what you want.  Especially if money is an issue, don't waste it.

Look for photos you admire.  Look through the images area on Google.  Look through 500px.com for subjects that interest you.  Look with the intent that you want to recreate that image!  Yes, duplicate what's out there.  This is a learning exercise, not a career limiting move.  Why do this?  You want to know something about the photos you want to make.  You don't yet.  You have learning to do.  (We're all learning.)  Once you can recreate the kinds of images you like, you'll find yourself adding your own vision to those reproductions.  They'll stop becoming copies of others' photos and photos that are uniquely yours.

I spend time most days looking through Flickrs and DA mostly. Instagram has sort of let me down recently but I think its because I have become a little more picky as what I <3 and what I don't. I love this advice because I am already trying to do something to this effect.

Graham Glover wrote:
Not once did you say there's some category or class of photo you want to take that you can't easily take with your current T5.  That suggests to me that you are either not pushing your gear to its limits or that your gear is not holding you back.  "I am thinking that a tripod would help me with landscapes and experimenting with longer shutter speeds," isn't the same as, "I need this category of tripod because I want to take sunset photos of this particular landscape, and in that location it is windier than a gale on the high seas!"  The former could be any tripod; the latter is far more specific regarding what you need for a tripod.  Use a chair and a beanbag as a tripod of sorts, in conjunction with the built-in timer.  Can you take the photos you want now?  What other makeshift items can  you fashion for your photography?  What limitations do you have now?

https://goo.gl/images/QtUinB I can do something like this.... 

https://goo.gl/images/VAgVJR I would like to do something like this.

Graham Glover wrote:
There's a YouTube channel called DigitalRev TV, declining since they've lost their main people, but with one category of videos called Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge.  They give pro photographers/videographers absolute junk and expect them to take a good photo.  Chase Jarvis did his with a Lego® camera.  Could he get everything he'd normally get?  No!  Absolutely not.  He still got some cool photos, and understood the limitations of the Lego® camera.

Videos like that are scattered around youtube usually popping up in a play list somewhere between white balance videos and the more amusing videos on the 10 types of annoying photographer. I particularly like the video I watcher where 2 people went out with disposable cameras and tried to take the best pictures possible.

Graham Glover wrote:
One option over purchasing is to rent equipment.  Lenses and camera bodies are easy to rent, assuming you have a credit card.  While expense is involved, you have the opportunity to find out quickly if some lens will work for you.  But again, this assumes you have some sense that <piece of equipment A> is going to help you shoot the photos you want to shoot.

I do not really thing that a new lens would allow me to step up my game. Honestly it was a thought at some point but as you and everyone else has pointed out.. I am not exactly sure how that would help me in anyway. my 75-300 sits in my bag. Having no reason to not carry it with my whole kit, but almost no use out side of trying to get closer to something than I am physically. My 18-55 is more versatile, allowing me to capture a wider angle. and can be used for everything from closeups with high DoF as well as nice crisp shots of a sunset.

Graham Glover wrote:
I hope this helps!  I've been short on money in the past so I grok.  Accordingly I have zero desire to waste my money.  Even with the best planning you'll find that some piece of camera gear you deemed essential will sit idle a month after you purchase it.

so did my lightsaber, and to a degree my PS4 (6 months no use) My nintendo DS, my TV, I have a list of things that I own and do not make regular use of. I can buy something for photography or photography related, or I can buy a video game or something else. I would rather spend $100 on photography than $70 on a new game I won't finish.

Graham Glover wrote:
Take your time.  You've got some good gear, and it appears you're not yet at its limits.  Push yourself and your gear.  Then see if you need anything.  If you don't, then use it to travel to take photos in places away from your home!

I hope this helps!

This is the best advice I have seen so far. IDK why I didn't think to take a vacation... A day trip to Boston or New York City would be a fantastic use of my money.

Feb 10 17 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

I suggest that you search "meetup.com"  for you location and photography. There are several photography groups in your area. This may provide opportunities to explore various genres of photography and also increase your knowledge.

Feb 10 17 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you buy a 50f1.2L lens will you suddenly be more successful? depends on your definition of success i suppose. it's a lovely lens no doubt but i've seen great pics done with a lowly 50f1.8

sometimes you do need specialized (i.e., expensive) gear but sometimes you don't.

i'd say invest in knowledge and training (including photoshop). then you will start to understand what you do (and don't) require in the way of gear. for instance if you want to shoot weddings you might find you need a bigger credit limit.

buying gear is lots of fun. just don't let it break the bank. and if you are buying gear using a 15% credit card that gear will be even more expensive in the long run.

i do think there's a big choice to be made between crop and full-frame. that's a topic worth researching. i started crop but went full-frame prior to investing in a bunch of good lenses.

Feb 13 17 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

A recurring theme in many of the responses above is that you should progress your skills to the point where you find things that you want to do but cannot, and there is a lot of wisdom in that advice.

However, especially with beginners, there can be a need to explore beyond what you can do with a just a body and lens to properly understand the possibilities.

I suspect that you are in the latter group, so I suggest that you buy a tripod and flash.

You can spend a lot of money on a tripod, but you do not need the very latest, lightest, all-singing-all-dancing fancy-head tripod.  There are some excellent older, heavier, pan-and-tilt-head tripods that you can buy on ebay for $30-$40, which are sturdy and will last forever.  I have several tripods, but my favourite is still the (relatively heavy) Velbon that I bought back in 1980.

Similarly, you can buy a surprisingly capable Chinese flash for around $100.  Yongnuo is a good brand, but not the only one.

Feb 13 17 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Some of the things people are posting on here are rather pricey and I think they may have missed the whole "being on a budget" aspect of your post.  Welcome to photography, it sounds like you enjoy it and once you master that T5, the rest of the Canon lineup, all the way up to the 5D's will be a cakewalk whenever you're ready. 

NOW, first thing, all budget-minded suggestions.  Download Photoscape onto your computer - it's a free download, it's safe, and it gives you an amazing amount of photo editing options - it's not Photoshop, but, it's a darn good program and you can create some spectacular images with it and learn to do a lot of tricks.  You will have professional-looking photos after just messing about with that program for a couple of weeks. 

Learn to shoot in manual mode.  You mentioned image stability, high shutter speeds and the lenses you've already got are all you really need, you just need to find the right mixture of ISO and F stops.  Always try to shoot above 1/100th of a second hand-held, or you're opening yourself up to blurred images.  Once you master using your arm against your body, you can step it down to 1/60th, but that's hit-or-miss.  The key, as others have stated, is get out there and shoot.  Shoot in manual, shoot in Av, and shoot in P - you will teach yourself what your camera is capable of, and the T5 is a good little camera to learn with. 

As for equipment - the 85 1.8 is a great little lens, but even used, they're not what I would call "cheap."  If you want bang-for-buck, the next lens should be the "plastic fantastic" 50 1.8 II, which is flooding eBay used right now because the newer versions have taken their spotlight.  The all-plastic versions feel cheap, but the glass is very good, and you can pick one up for $50 or $60 all day long right now, sometimes less.  I prefer the metal-base first generation 50 1.8 but they're harder to find and cost a bit more because they're older but more durable.  Anyone mentioning an "L" lens obviously didn't catch the "budget" part of your post.  Work up to those, unless we were born rich, we all did, and most of us still have a bag full of "regular" EF lenses at-hand I'd strongly wager. 

If you're shooting people outdoors, buy a really cheap reflector - they don't have to be expensive.  You can get a Neewer round reflector for less than $20 on Amazon, or in that range, and that will open up a lot of options for you for shooting people outdoors.  I would suggest you get a tripod, and on that note, eBay once again is your friend.  There are a LOT of VERY good used tripods on eBay every single day that you can get for very little money - a lot of the time it costs more to ship them than it does to buy them.  Just make certain the mounting plate is still there, because if it isn't, DO NOT buy any used tripod without its quick-release mounting plate - replacing the plate will cost you more than the tripod in many cases.  With the rig you're using, you don't need a heavy-duty tripod, you can get a decent used one, again, for under $20 and it will serve you well for a very long time. 

Boiling it down, money wise - spend time shooting, download Photoscape and practice editing, buy a Gen II 50 1.8 for $50 or less, get a cheap round reflector and a used tripod.  For under $100 you will have broadened the range of what you're capable of doing enormously.  Good luck, and above all, HAVE FUN!

Feb 14 17 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Richard Wossidlo

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

If you need a cheap reflector, go buy a cheap white poster board for a $1.  Or you can get one of those car sunshades if you want silver.  For camera gear, buy used.  eBay is one option, another would be a Facebook Canon buy/sell group.  Be careful when buying a flash, sometimes the cheapest options are old models with very limited capabilities.  For flash, you can find all sorts of DIY light modifiers.  I think strobist.com still has that kind of info.

Feb 15 17 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

First Thanks EVERYONE!   haha  This is an awesome window into many views and thoughts. I strongly appreciated this.

Rob Photosby wrote:
A recurring theme in many of the responses above is that you should progress your skills to the point where you find things that you want to do but cannot, and there is a lot of wisdom in that advice.

Gonna happen no matter what. my question is based in the fact that I am starting to see that I can not do everything with just a body and lens. Not that I particularly know where the limits are, but I have a general idea of some things that I would like to play around with and just know that I can't with out great effort. Just because I am thinking about gear, doesn't mean I am not still investing time learning theory.

Rob Photosby wrote:
However, especially with beginners, there can be a need to explore beyond what you can do with a just a body and lens to properly understand the possibilities.

I suspect that you are in the latter group, so I suggest that you buy a tripod and flash.

You can spend a lot of money on a tripod, but you do not need the very latest, lightest, all-singing-all-dancing fancy-head tripod.  There are some excellent older, heavier, pan-and-tilt-head tripods that you can buy on ebay for $30-$40, which are sturdy and will last forever.  I have several tripods, but my favourite is still the (relatively heavy) Velbon that I bought back in 1980.

Similarly, you can buy a surprisingly capable Chinese flash for around $100.  Yongnuo is a good brand, but not the only one.

At least the flash I think would be the most beneficial as far as having something that WILL get use.

Randall Holden Photography wrote:
NOW, first thing, all budget-minded suggestions.  Download Photoscape onto your computer - it's a free download, it's safe, and it gives you an amazing amount of photo editing options - it's not Photoshop, but, it's a darn good program and you can create some spectacular images with it and learn to do a lot of tricks.  You will have professional-looking photos after just messing about with that program for a couple of weeks.

I have a chromebook and a smartphone with lightroom on it.  ( Most of my stuff is "as shot" )It isn't much but for now its what I have.  I will book mark this thread for reference.

Learn to shoot in manual mode.  You mentioned image stability, high shutter speeds and the lenses you've already got are all you really need, you just need to find the right mixture of ISO and F stops.  Always try to shoot above 1/100th of a second hand-held, or you're opening yourself up to blurred images.  Once you master using your arm against your body, you can step it down to 1/60th, but that's hit-or-miss.  The key, as others have stated, is get out there and shoot.  Shoot in manual, shoot in Av, and shoot in P - you will teach yourself what your camera is capable of, and the T5 is a good little camera to learn with.

I feel more comfortable in M currently.  I see the benefits of the presets and do switch to Av and Tv mode depending but yeah.

As for equipment - the 85 1.8 is a great little lens, but even used, they're not what I would call "cheap."  If you want bang-for-buck, the next lens should be the "plastic fantastic" 50 1.8 II, which is flooding eBay used right now because the newer versions have taken their spotlight.  The all-plastic versions feel cheap, but the glass is very good, and you can pick one up for $50 or $60 all day long right now, sometimes less.  I prefer the metal-base first generation 50 1.8 but they're harder to find and cost a bit more because they're older but more durable.  Anyone mentioning an "L" lens obviously didn't catch the "budget" part of your post.  Work up to those, unless we were born rich, we all did, and most of us still have a bag full of "regular" EF lenses at-hand I'd strongly wager.

Sound advice thank you.

If you're shooting people outdoors, buy a really cheap reflector - they don't have to be expensive.  You can get a Neewer round reflector for less than $20 on Amazon, or in that range, and that will open up a lot of options for you for shooting people outdoors.  I would suggest you get a tripod, and on that note, eBay once again is your friend.  There are a LOT of VERY good used tripods on eBay every single day that you can get for very little money - a lot of the time it costs more to ship them than it does to buy them.  Just make certain the mounting plate is still there, because if it isn't, DO NOT buy any used tripod without its quick-release mounting plate - replacing the plate will cost you more than the tripod in many cases.  With the rig you're using, you don't need a heavy-duty tripod, you can get a decent used one, again, for under $20 and it will serve you well for a very long time

best buy had soe 6 months ago that were $50 or less..

Boiling it down, money wise - spend time shooting, download Photoscape and practice editing, buy a Gen II 50 1.8 for $50 or less, get a cheap round reflector and a used tripod.  For under $100 you will have broadened the range of what you're capable of doing enormously.  Good luck, and above all, HAVE FUN!

I think the tripod and flash are my best options so far.  More so the day trip somewhere.  I am going to squirrel away some money and figure the rest out.

Paul Richard Wossidlo wrote:
If you need a cheap reflector, go buy a cheap white poster board for a $1.  Or you can get one of those car sunshades if you want silver.  For camera gear, buy used.  eBay is one option, another would be a Facebook Canon buy/sell group.  Be careful when buying a flash, sometimes the cheapest options are old models with very limited capabilities.  For flash, you can find all sorts of DIY light modifiers.  I think strobist.com still has that kind of info.

^ this is where I will start. MY friend sent me to strobeist yesterday as a matter of fact. Not that I want to buy things twice, but I dont mind having something "disposable" to learn on.  if it is cheap enough i wont worry about it getting broken. as for limited capabilities... I suppose that gets tossed to the learning curve. Even a small bit of something new can seem like an endless expanse...

Shot this yesterday, kinda spur of the moment. I DID run it through lightroom mobile. My girlfriend held the curtain in the back while I shot. I am happy with it. Happy Belated Valentiine's
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/364/32092931663_c58cd464b6_t.jpgValentine&#x27;s Day 2017 by Ryan Pottle, on Flickr

Feb 15 17 10:10 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

I think only you can answer that question. It really depends on what you want to do. Want to do studio projects? Then get lights. Nature? Get a zoom lens. Digital art/special effects? Get Photoshop!

Feb 15 17 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

network with your local photography community....they are always upgrading and you can get a bargain on a camera/lens that is going to be capable of whatever you are doing right now with out busting your budget....really...Mo

Feb 15 17 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

mophotoart wrote:
network with your local photography community....they are always upgrading and you can get a bargain on a camera/lens that is going to be capable of whatever you are doing right now with out busting your budget....really...Mo

I like this idea a whole bunch.

Feb 15 17 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

One more vote for getting a second hand tripod and a Yongnuo flash. I would add a Yongnuo RF603 transmitter and receiver set.

If you have some spare cash after that, you can add a reflective umbrella with removable back, a cheap studio stand and umbrella holder. You can get all of that for less than $150 on fleabay.

Feb 16 17 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

HV images wrote:
One more vote for getting a second hand tripod and a Yongnuo flash. I would add a Yongnuo RF603 transmitter and receiver set.

If you have some spare cash after that, you can add a reflective umbrella with removable back, a cheap studio stand and umbrella holder. You can get all of that for less than $150 on fleabay.

This thread has been basically invaluable to me. I love all the discussion and assistance in helping me choose. (can people be TOO greatful?)

Amazon may have some reasonably priced kits or package deals. I will read up on the Yonguno RF603 specifically. Ill rig reflectors as needed/able from cheaper materials for the time. I will pick up a tripod

I have no idea what use, or how to use any of the other equipment and feel like it would sit for a while before trying to do anything with it.

TYVM

Feb 16 17 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ibecheshirecat wrote:
I have a chromebook and a smartphone with lightroom on it.

The web version of pixlr will work great on the chrome book and you'll be amazed at the difference even a bit of editing makes. It's free too.

Feb 16 17 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Pottle

Virtual Studio wrote:

The web version of pixlr will work great on the chrome book and you'll be amazed at the difference even a bit of editing makes. It's free too.

I use this mostly to downsize my photos for upload to MM I see that it is a fully functioning image editor, not unlike gimp or photoshop. But at the moment I do not really want to do heavy manipulation. just touch-ups. IDK, I am new here.

Feb 16 17 08:34 pm Link