Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Building strength for pole dancing

Model

SincerelyJazmyn

Reisterstown, Maryland, US

What are the best techniques to build strength to pole dance?

Feb 21 17 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

exercises that strengthen your core to start with, then legs and back.

there were a few pole dancing exercise classes, several years ago.

Feb 21 17 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

SincerelyJazmyn wrote:
What are the best techniques to build strength to pole dance?

He learned pole dancing at University of Maryland College Park, Gymkhana.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHHdiuGBBy-/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7_YClgcOh/

Sadly, he didn't get a job as a pole dancer after graduating from UM. tongue tongue tongue

Feb 22 17 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

*in before Koryn*

Feb 22 17 10:06 am Link

Model

Chanel_O

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hanging leg raises are certainly a good start. First with your knees bent then with your legs extended out.

Feb 22 17 12:18 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's a lot of core strength but you'd benefit from an all-over workout really, if you're utterly lacking in the arms or legs all the core strength in the world wont save you.

Also, work on control in addition to sheer strength. You might be able to bust out rapid sit ups like nothing but if you struggle to hold yourself in a half-raised position you'll be in trouble, much of pole tricks are slow controlled movements, not bursts of energy.

Feb 22 17 12:27 pm Link

Model

Scott A G

Dallas, Texas, US

Dance on a pole.
I know that sounds sarcastic, or dumb, but it's what we refer to as "train specific".
If I was going to be a swimmer I would swim, a sprinter I would sprint at a track.  So same concept.

Breaking down the muscle groups and exercises to help with that....
You've been give a few good suggestion thus far but let me also add.

Pull ups
Dumbbell rows
Rope climbs

the rest has been mentioned but you will gain more strength the more time you spend working the pole.

Feb 22 17 01:08 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Scott A G wrote:
Dance on a pole.
I know that sounds sarcastic, or dumb, but it's what we refer to as "train specific".
If I was going to be a swimmer I would swim, a sprinter I would sprint at a track.  So same concept.

Breaking down the muscle groups and exercises to help with that....
You've been give a few good suggestion thus far but let me also add.

Pull ups
Dumbbell rows
Rope climbs

the rest has been mentioned but you will gain more strength the more time you spend working the pole.

Just throwing yourself at a pole is a great way to hurt yourself. Someone who's never done gymnastics before wouldnt be told to just start trying to do double back handsprings until they built up enough strength to actually do a double back handspring - pole is much the same way. It's nothing like just getting out there and swimming until you're good at swimming.  There's a noticeable rise in pole-related injury thanks to its newfound trendiness, lack of truly knowledgable safe instructors vs people who bought an x-pole, watched the DVD and decided to run their own course, and the increased competitiveness to perform flexibility tricks the body isn't supposed to do without doing any of the accompanying exercises to build strength

Feb 23 17 11:49 am Link

Model

Scott A G

Dallas, Texas, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Just throwing yourself at a pole is a great way to hurt yourself. Someone who's never done gymnastics before wouldnt be told to just start trying to do double back handsprings until they built up enough strength to actually do a double back handspring - pole is much the same way. It's nothing like just getting out there and swimming until you're good at swimming.  There's a noticeable rise in pole-related injury thanks to its newfound trendiness, lack of truly knowledgable safe instructors vs people who bought an x-pole, watched the DVD and decided to run their own course, and the increased competitiveness to perform flexibility tricks the body isn't supposed to do without doing any of the accompanying exercises to build strength

You're right...throwing yourself at a pole would be stupid.

Feb 23 17 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A lot of the dancers I know do either Yoga or Pilates. If you choose a mobile style of yoga like Ashtanga then it will help a lot with core strength and balance.

Interesting trivia: Pilates was actually invented by (And used for) the physical conditioning coach of the New York ballet .

Feb 25 17 11:17 am Link