Forums > Model Colloquy > how to do about this (not a photographer or model)

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Okay, so for my projects, I am looking for models to get heads shots of varying angles, so I can get sculpt my 3-d models with more realistic facial structures.

I do not aim to travel to photograph models.

Would it be acceptable to ask models get a friend to snap photos of them with whatever decent camera they might have? I would also be able to send a reference of angles I would be needing.

I'm just not sure how to go about this. How the site comes off as one of three options: you either go to the model, the model comes to you, or the model has a photographer on hand.

Thanks for the help and input, and sorry if placed in the wrong section. This question seemed to fit in both the model colloquy or photography talk.

Mar 18 17 03:32 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What you are looking might best be found in college art class models.

Mar 18 17 05:08 am Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Koryn wrote:
What you are looking might best be found in college art class models.

That is a fair suggestion, but I am mainly in an area without much diversity. Also, I'm looking for certain people that fall under certain racial groups.

Would a solution be, finding a photographer in the area to do the job?

Mar 18 17 05:43 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

First, please select an avatar if you have not.  I understand you may be waiting for approval. 

I looked at your port when I saw you post in the Newbie Section.  (Welcome to MM!)

A question about what you want to accomplish.  You mention 3D.  Do you need images of a head shot from several positions around the person?  Or do you just need one shot? 

If you just need one shot, and can't travel, then there are other options.  Hiring models for pay or trade on MM can take a serious commitment.  It isn't just plug in, contact and shoot.  Friend request do not get responded to.  Messages go unanswered.  People express interest and then drop off the face of the earth from a communication stand point.  You can expect many more failures than success.  Not to discourage you, but to give a perspective grounded in the reality of many people who start threads and respond in the forums.

So, how can you get pics if you just need one?  Ask.  Just ask.  Ask models if they will send a selfie (so there are no copyright issues).  Ask photographers if they would be generous enough to let you work on one their images.  Assure them that you will only use it for portfolio purposes.  And give credit!  There are lots of kind generous people on MM.  We all started somewhere. If you need diversity, tell us that too!  I have diverse images but very little in my port.

You can also go to stock photo companies and purchase a license for an image for a very small amount of money.  Just stay within the perimeters of the license.

Mar 18 17 05:44 am Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
A question about what you want to accomplish.  You mention 3D.  Do you need images of a head shot from several positions around the person?  Or do you just need one shot?

This is an idea of what I would be going for (not all them).

Images #1, 3, 11, and maybe 12 and 13, are those major angles best to get to sculpt the face.
https://www.3d.sk/photos/showSet/id/456 … all/page/1

I would use that site, but it lacks in a racial category that I need. I have several characters that would fall under the Asian race, and adding on that they are also men...I'm out of luck on that aspect.

Mar 18 17 06:07 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

You need:  (12 o'clock behind directly toward camera)
a profile (3 o'clock)  with 12 o'clock shoulders or doesn't the shoulder position matter
a 2 o'clock turn
maybe a full face (12 o'clock)
and a 12 o'clock with chin lift

Would that be an accurate description?

Further clarification needed:

Does the hair always need to be pulled back and minimized?
Always looking for bare shoulders?
Can you get what you need if the shots are from different shoots of the same person, where there may be differences such as clothing style or hair style?

Let me know.  I have a couple of shoots lined up with people that may fit your requirements.  I will take four extra shots to help you out.

Mar 18 17 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Costa Mesa, California, US

Vata Raven wrote:
Okay, so for my projects, I am looking for models to get heads shots of varying angles, so I can get sculpt my 3-d models with more realistic facial structures.

Would it be acceptable to ask models get a friend to snap photos of them with whatever decent camera they might have? I would also be able to send a reference of angles I would be needing.

I'm just not sure how to go about this. How the site comes off as one of three options: you either go to the model, the model comes to you, or the model has a photographer on hand.

Thanks for the help and input, and sorry if placed in the wrong section. This question seemed to fit in both the model colloquy or photography talk.

I would be happy to help you in this as I may have many angles of the same face , look here on my MM and my web site www.phillipritchie.com I will not create new head shot looks for free, but will give you the freedom as an artist to use some of my work, I own all that you can see ,

message me on my MM ,as I do not always follow the reply's in the Forums

phillip

Mar 18 17 07:16 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Columbus, Ohio, US

Why does it have to be models?

Do you have any buddies you can snap with your cell?
Neighbors?

Seems a convoluted way to go about simple things..

Mar 18 17 11:53 am Link

Model

Ionalynn

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Vata Raven wrote:
I am mainly in an area without much diversity.

Also, I'm looking for certain people that fall under certain racial groups.

Would a solution be, finding a photographer in the area to do the job?

What you are referring to is reference photos, you can hire a photographer or several to do these shots & deliver them to you.

I used to work with several 3d & artists supplying reference photos.

How I had everything set up was I had a general idea of what the artist needed:
Race, Sex, style of body, features wanted, style of lighting & posing.
I had a set price per image download.

I would hire other models & photograph them according to the requirments, then upload files to a gallery that allowed digital downloads to be purchased.

Every time I did a new shoot, I would email my clients & let them know there were new files to purchase.
I have also had local fine artists come to my studio & go through galleries I have set up & purchase files that way.

If you need a standard set of 4-5 images from certain angles, then  you can purchase these images in sets.

The great thing with the internet & technology, is that you CAN hire remotely for this sort of thing, I had clients all over the country. Since I live in a very diverse area, it would be easy for me to cast & do this sort of work.

Mar 18 17 01:20 pm Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Seems a convoluted way to go about simple things..

Not really because I need references of Asain men. If I could simply google these images, I would do as such. There are few usable facial profiles out there, and on top of it, I need several angles.

Mar 18 17 02:59 pm Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
You need:
- 12 o'clock (behind directly toward camera) - View from behind (back of the head, I assume) isn't needed.
- a profile (3 o'clock) with 12 o'clock shoulders or doesn't the shoulder position matter - I don't think the shoulders matter, just so long as the profile is complete.
- 2 o'clock turn - Yeah, this is important to get a good view of the cheek.
- maybe a full face (12 o'clock) - Fontial face view is important.
- 12 o'clock with chin lift - Yes, I think the chin lift allows for an under view of the nose.

Further clarification needed:

Does the hair always need to be pulled back and minimized? It's all about the face; the hair does need to be out of the face.
Always looking for bare shoulders? 3d.sk does that because most do nude reference shots. It's not necessary for me.
Can you get what you need if the shots are from different shoots of the same person, where there may be differences such as clothing style or hair style? I imagine I could. I mean, 3d.sk is the only place that has examples of what face angles I do need. I see the 3d.sk useful because they make sure the faces are in this neutral position.

Let me know. I have a couple of shoots lined up with people that may fit your requirements. I will take four extra shots to help you out.

Thank you for the offer, but I'm simply in the planning stages. I don't want you to do through the trouble and then I don't visualize my own project characters with the face the model has.

Personally, I have found it's easier to find a woman's face that say, "yeah, that could be *insert name*" Men are a whole other problem for me.

Mar 18 17 04:09 pm Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Ionalynn wrote:
What you are referring to is reference photos, you can hire a photographer or several to do these shots & deliver them to you.

I used to work with several 3d & artists supplying reference photos.

How I had everything set up was I had a general idea of what the artist needed:
Race, Sex, style of body, features wanted, style of lighting & posing.
I had a set price per image download.

I would hire other models & photograph them according to the requirements, then upload files to a gallery that allowed digital downloads to be purchased.

Do you still do this type of work? Because what you described does fit what I would be needing.

Mar 18 17 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

shutterstock.com

searchable - some of the photo listings are part of multi-angle series

1 minute looking --
example           https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot … L5VeZg-1-4
(scroll down page)

Mar 19 17 04:13 am Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Michael Bots wrote:
shutterstock.com

searchable - some of the photo listings are part of multi-angle series

Stock images will only do me any good if I even like the faces to begin with, and they don't. There is a reason why I went through the effort of signing up to this site. It's because my searching lead to nothing that worked for the characters I imagine in my head.

Thanks anyway.

Mar 19 17 05:14 am Link

Photographer

photo212grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Vata Raven wrote:

Try posting a casting call. Explain model types you are seeking. Most likely those models can find a willing photographer to take the series of headshots you require. I know I would help a model to do so. You need a simple series of images that probably only takes a few minutes to obtain. I'd likely spend more time reading your requirements than the actual taking of them.

Mar 19 17 05:40 pm Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

photo212grapher wrote:
Try posting a casting call. Explain model types you are seeking. Most likely those models can find a willing photographer to take the series of headshots you require. I know I would help a model to do so. You need a simple series of images that probably only takes a few minutes to obtain. I'd likely spend more time reading your requirements than the actual taking of them.

Or would it better to do it the other way around? Instead of finding the models, find a photographer in a diverse area that could find people.

Mar 19 17 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Vata Raven wrote:
Or would it better to do it the other way around? Instead of finding the models, find a photographer in a diverse area that could find people.

You're much better off hiring a photographer that shoots actors headshots otherwise you're at risk of getting any old crap back. You should also supply them with a reference examples of the exact shots you need.

I spend time in the actors forums and you'd be shocked at what some people post as their actors headshots.

Mar 20 17 12:03 am Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Darren Brade wrote:
You're much better off hiring a photographer that shoots actors headshots otherwise you're at risk of getting any old crap back. You should also supply them with a reference examples of the exact shots you need.

I spend time in the actors forums and you'd be shocked at what some people post as their actors headshots.

Thank you for the insight.

Mar 20 17 03:49 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

New York, New York, US

While I am a photographer, I also do a lot of digital modeling and clay sculpture.  I made a turntable (big lazy susan) from plywood and metal swivel and I can sit the model on there.  On the lower piece of plywood I have reference marks.  I do three complete "passes" one at eye level, one below and one above - each pass is shot from from 12 positions (like a clock).  Once I'm setup, I can knock this out in about 15 minutes per expression.

Mar 20 17 09:21 pm Link