Forums > Photography Talk > Can you use SD card in a XQD slot

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Yes, I know you won't get the speed. But, if you didn't have an XQD card or didn't want to start in a new format will the SD card work in the slot ?  If is does work, are their any downside to using it ?

Thanks.

Mar 19 17 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

No.  You cannot put an SD card in an XQD slot.  They are completely two different card and slot sizes.  It's kinda like sticking a cassette tape in an 8-track tape slot.  Yes.  I'm old.

Mar 19 17 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Keith Moody wrote:
No.  You cannot put an SD card in an XQD slot.  They are completely two different card and slot sizes.  It's kinda like sticking a cassette tape in an 8-track tape slot.  Yes.  I'm old.

Hey, I remember 8 tracks.... and vinyl records... and Saturday morning cartoons that were funny.

Thanks for the info

Mar 19 17 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ahh, Saturday morning cartoons...  I giant bowl of sugar masquerading as cereal and H.R. Pufnstuf!  That was the life!

Mar 19 17 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

No!!!

Mar 19 17 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Obviously you are asking about adapters. XQD cards are overall physically larger than SD cards, but they are nearly the same length. I'm not sure it would be physically/electronically possible to build such an adapter. And given the performance benefits of XQD over SD I don't know if there is enough demand to make such an adapter economically feasible. As/if/when the XQD user base grows such a beast might pop up on eBay via a 3rd party vendor.

Mar 24 17 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm fairly sure that you could get an SD card into an XQD slot. It wouldn't work, and you might never get it out again, but I am fairly sure it could be forced into place...

Mar 25 17 02:36 pm Link