Forums > Critique > Photo Pheedback

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello, everyone...

I have been photographing wildlife for years but only recently began working with models as well. Setting up an MM account seemed like a good way to continue my work in this genre.

Here is a link to one of the photos in my current portfolio:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/42026401

This image is from one of the first photo shoots that I did with a model. The sun was high in the sky and it was a bit breezy (I know, not ideal shooting conditions, but hey, I like a challenge haha). As some folks on here may already know, I'm not the sort of photographer who takes a photo with the intention of going into Lightroom later and making it perfect. I strive for my vision right out of the camera. Therefore, this photo (and most of the ones from that shoot) is completely unedited.

I would love some creative feedback on this photo...thoughts, suggestions, and all things neighborly. Thanks for stopping by!

Mar 23 17 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170302/15/58b8a75f5cdce_m.jpg
For my two cents, I would go for a tighter crop
Non model space above her head, crop halfway between her head and upper photo border, even a bit tighter.
Crop photo left, halfway between model and left photo border, this will remove the tree, and showcase the models more.
Then crop off photo right this will eliminate the rock formation, which is a distracting element.
Crop the bottom of photo just below models right hand, the reason is if you show the knee it would be nice to see the rest of the leg. Also her position of her left leg is making it appear larger at the top.

Something I find useful is to make a large print of the photo, then use sheets of paper to adjust the crop.

I wish you well

Mar 24 17 06:27 am Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170302/15/58b8a75f5cdce_m.jpg
For my two cents, I would go for a tighter crop
Non model space above her head, crop halfway between her head and upper photo border, even a bit tighter.
Crop photo left, halfway between model and left photo border, this will remove the tree, and showcase the models more.
Then crop off photo right this will eliminate the rock formation, which is a distracting element.
Crop the bottom of photo just below models right hand, the reason is if you show the knee it would be nice to see the rest of the leg. Also her position of her left leg is making it appear larger at the top.

Something I find useful is to make a large print of the photo, then use sheets of paper to adjust the crop.

I wish you well

Thank you for your perspective! Although it was the avatar photo that I was originally looking for feedback on. smile

Mar 24 17 06:38 am Link

Photographer

G3B Photography

Orangevale, California, US

Beautiful photo! The only thing I would suggest is slightly alter your lighting (reflector or speed light) to give a little more definition between the chin and neck.  The chin kind of washes into the neck (maybe it's just my screen. idk). If your intention is to use just the natural light, then I have nothing.  jmho.

Mar 24 17 09:32 am Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

G3B Photography wrote:
Beautiful photo! The only thing I would suggest is slightly alter your lighting (reflector or speed light) to give a little more definition between the chin and neck.  The chin kind of washes into the neck (maybe it's just my screen. idk). If your intention is to use just the natural light, then I have nothing.  jmho.

Thank you for your feedback! Your suggestion is kindly appreciated. Yes, this shoot was intended to utilize only the sun for light...no flashes or light modifiers were employed.

Mar 24 17 09:57 am Link