Forums > General Industry > professional behavior

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

There is an awesome young lady who happens to be a great model and also a talented hair cutter too.  Since I have been in the hair and cosmetics industry for a few years in the San Jose area as a photographer, I have shot for many cosmetics distributors and classroom events.  Also I've been friends with with many hair and make up artists in the past. So now I go to this woman who cuts hair (she is now a manager) and has modeled for me.  I found out she was a model in our first discussion while getting my haircut .. and "Yes" she has a profile on here.  When it comes to tipping, I am generous for a job well done.  That goes for the few times I've been a patron of strip clubs.  I would feel like damn sleaze bag if I didn't tip!

When it comes to beauticians, they may be renting a station in a salon. If it's a rental situation, the beautician will charge accordingly to cover the cost of renting his or her station.  Hopefully it's an active and/or upscale salon.  If they are working for one the "institutional" hair cutting places, then it's more like a retail sales environment where they get paid an hourly rate.  Servers at restaurants often depend on tips as they may get paid lower with the expectation that they will make tips.  When it comes to the exotic dancers or Strippers, most of the busy strip clubs charge the dancer a fee to work. The tips are how they get paid!

Correction!  I'm sorry to say that Megan Grant no longer has a profile on Modelmayhem.  So many of the models I've shot with have deleted their profiles. She is still getting work through Facebook and Instagram.

Mar 28 17 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

barepixels wrote:
Let me put it this way and see how it sounds.  I shot a model, learn that she works at Starbucks.  Does that give me the right to go to her work and ask for a FREE drink?  And if she said NO do I have the right to be mad?

I don't think he was asking for a free lap dance. So it would be like going to a Starbucks ordering a frapawhatamacallit handing her the money and then being told f- you.

As far a paying to just sit in a Starbucks that hasn't happened yet.

Mar 28 17 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

I don't think he was asking for a free lap dance. So it would be like going to a Starbucks ordering a frapawhatamacallit handing her the money and then being told f- you.

As far a paying to just sit in a Starbucks that hasn't happened yet.

Not even close to the same thing.  If you go into a restaurant, sit down and proceed to do something else other than ordering food & drink, you can be asked to leave.  Some nightclubs have a "1 drink minimum" and I don't know of any normal people who would ever go to a strip club, sit down at a table, enjoy the show .... and not tip at least a few dollars when a dancer comes to the table.  I agree that the young lady who models and also dances at a strip club was angry and went too far in her expression of such at the poor photographer who thought he could sit there ... even if he had tipped at the dance bar.  She is WORKING and people don't go sitting at tables in strip clubs for free.  I have been in nightclubs where I was either there to do some photography or enjoy the entertainment, but I tip even for a glass of free water.  Even in a strip club, .. even if you don't get a lap dance (I usually don't)  you are still being entertained!  Or did you not know that?

Mar 28 17 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Not even close to the same thing.  If you go into a restaurant, sit down and proceed to do something else other than ordering food & drink, you can be asked to leave.  Some nightclubs have a "1 drink minimum" and I don't know of any normal people who would ever go to a strip club, sit down at a table, enjoy the show .... and not tip at least a few dollars when a dancer comes to the table.  I agree that the young lady who models and also dances at a strip club was angry and went too far in her expression of such at the poor photographer who thought he could sit there ... even if he had tipped at the dance bar.  She is WORKING and people don't go sitting at tables in strip clubs for free.  I have been in nightclubs where I was either there to do some photography or enjoy the entertainment, but I tip even for a glass of free water.  Even in a strip club, .. even if you don't get a lap dance (I usually don't)  you are still being entertained!  Or did you not know that?

Many strip clubs have a cover charge for that specific reason for the venue, not for a random girl. They're slightly different all over so I think its weird that everyone who doesn't relate to OP has their own anecdotal experience shoehorned in about why OP was mostly wrong here, based on the assumption that OP was freeloading.

So strange, so strange indeed.

Lap dance for a certain price for a certain number of songs is pretty standard. If you get into a conversation then the stripper may ask for tip, but if you read the yelp reviews on any strip club that is the most common gripe about how guys successfully felt they got swindled.

Mar 28 17 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Davian J

Sacramento, California, US

^^exactly. How did y'all get "freeloading" from anything I said. I dropped over $300 in that joint and no I didn't tip her for coming over and saying hi. I did pay for meand my buddies' lapdances, tipped extra for the $10 Voss waters, and gave about $50 dollars to the lady that was sitting in my lap most of the night. She wanted me to tip just because I know her but I have never gotten a free photo session just cause I know her. The two times I've shot her I've paid her. So if I'm in the strip club where you work, you gotta work to get my money sorry. I'm tipping the chick that's grindin in my lap.

Mar 29 17 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Davian J wrote:
^^exactly. How did y'all get "freeloading" from anything I said. I dropped over $300 in that joint and no I didn't tip her for coming over and saying hi. I did pay for me and my buddies' lap dances, tipped extra for the $10 Voss waters, and gave about $50 dollars to the lady that was sitting in my lap most of the night. She wanted me to tip just because I know her but I have never gotten a free photo session just cause I know her. The two times I've shot her I've paid her. So if I'm in the strip club where you work, you gotta work to get my money sorry. I'm tipping the chick that's grindin in my lap.

Alright, I get it!  (what's in bold above)   LOL  Now I really do get it.

Why didn't you just say so in the first place?  I am sorry that I thought you were being cheap.  So it is obvious that she was jealous of those you were tipping.  You can decide if it was professional behavior or not without posting a thread about it in "General Industry."  I don't know any other reason than she got jealous of your money going in another girls pocket ... but some women do get jealous over guys fat wallets when they see some other girl getting into it.  The environment can bring out some bad stuff in people.  You do what you gotta do.  i don't know that you would even want to work with her now in the future.

Mar 29 17 12:40 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

and her kid needs some new Nike's

this thread was entertaining I'll say that much

Mar 30 17 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Not sure why she referred to herself as a "...model..." in the club if she proceeded to strip. Are there strippers in clubs who don't do lap dances? Very confusing exchange and behavior on her part. You handled it well.

Mar 30 17 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Might be true for Restaurants rarely true for coffee houses.

Mar 31 17 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Might be true for Restaurants rarely true for coffee houses.

In California, if you go into a restaurant and sit down (or are seated) at a table, but do not order, you can be asked to leave, or even thrown out for trespassing.  As for coffee shops, there are people that go inside or sit outside for the free wifi, but they could also be asked to leave if they are not purchasing anything.  I've dropped into many coffee shops to use wifi, but I always buy something.   

Davian has already explained that he was not there being a cheapskate, that he dropped $300 on that club that evening. He also paid for a lap dance.  So I have apologized for thinking that he was there just taking room at the table to be entertained for free.  The "model" who was working as an exotic dancer should keep her mindset separate between her two jobs ... in my opinion.  This;  " I say "You should give me a lap dance" She says "That's really unprofessionally of you to ask a model for lap dance ... hold up paused the movie WTF! "  explains her mindset.  It was "unprofessional" on her part, as what he does outside of being a client of the club has nothing to do with anything.  IF he were her uncle or brother-in-law ... or dad!  Now then I can see how that would rather awkward asking for a lap dance ...  rather inappropriate!  This was not the case.

Apr 01 17 05:34 pm Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I had a close girlfriend work in one of the better strip clubs here in Melbourne and she used to fascinate me with the inside workings of the club. One of the many things that surprised me was that they did actually get paid just to talk to some of the guys - not all of them - but if she had been with them for a significant amount of time (any more than 10 minutes), it was expected that they'd either take her for a dance or pay her for more of her time if they wanted her to stay. She said if they ended up paying her just to talk to them, the money would usually be given discreetly as the guy normally wanted that so their guy friends/work mates would see them talking and think they were really hitting it off. Not surprisingly, she loved those ones. Easy money!
She wouldn't have refused a dance though, unless the guy was being disrespectful.
Interesting industry.

Apr 08 17 05:15 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Stripper here. Let me see if I'm understanding  this correctly:

You went into a club where a model you know works.
She approached you, talked for a song or two and requested that you tip her during her stage set.
You tipped her during her stage set
She returned to your table and insisted that you continue tipping her.
You declined to tip her and instead requested a dance.
She declined, got angry and left.
You then decided to purchase dances from another dancer.

Yeah, you didn't breach strip club etiquette. Not even a little bit.

For those "I'll never shoot with a stripper" types, you likely have shot a model who is, was or will be a stripper.

Apr 20 17 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Not a fan of working with strippers, for those who do my hats off to you.  I also think going to a strip club to look for models is a fools errand.

Apr 21 17 09:22 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Not a fan of working with strippers, for those who do my hats off to you.  I also think going to a strip club to look for models is a fools errand.

Depends on the stripper. Trying to shoot with the dancer who just snorted a line probably isn't the best idea, but a photographer friend of mine has been able to create some epic photos with local strippers, some of whom became famous for their pole work. Like I said, there's a statistical probability that you already have and just don't know it.

Going into a strip club looking for models is a terrible idea. Some clubs will kick you out for soliciting dancers. There's also a statistical probability that a GWC got there first and poisoned the well. And... Unless you're offering a substantial sum of money, the shoot won't be worth it. Don't even bother with TF*. Customers demand free stuff regularly and a TF* shoot won't sound any different to a non model.

Apr 21 17 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

You're in a strip club for a reason. It's not a dating place. It's not a model harvest place. It's a place to buy visual appeal or a share of romance for a little slice of time.

The lady storms off. Then put her out of your mind and focus on someone else who makes you feel good about being a man until you walk back out under the EXIT sign. That's the store parameters there.

Apr 24 17 12:36 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

John Jebbia  wrote:
A couple of the girls I work with on a regular basis are strippers. To be honest, I would feel kinda awkward getting a lap dance from them.

Yeah, I have never stripped but I feel like if I did do that and model, it would create kind of a weird situation if a photographer came to my work.  Like, I don't want them to touch me during a shoot but I'll rub my butt on them if they pay me at a strip club?

I find belly dancing to be much less complicated.  I would be ok if a photographer came to one of my shows and put a dollar bill in my belt, haha!

Apr 25 17 10:22 pm Link