Forums > Photography Talk > Should I start taking money for my work?

Photographer

Robin Bjoern

Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Hello my name is Robin and I'm a student. I'm making pictures since half a year or something. I'd like to study media design or photography cause I also like doing videos and other stuff with media. I leveled up my portrait photography skill in the last half a year by improving my photoshop and camera skills. I'd just like to know if you guys think that I have talent and should focus on photography studying cause that makes the most fun to me and if I should take money for my work?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170327/08/58d92edf6d181_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170327/08/58d92e5d60604_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170327/08/58d92e4d60afd_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170326/04/58d7a8f5e20c3_m.jpg

Mar 27 17 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Go to the critique section for input.

Best,

Jorge

Mar 27 17 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

By all means, you should charge if you can get it.

Mar 27 17 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

If they are willing to pay, you should be willing to take it.  Btw, do you do any vertically framed portraits ?

Mar 27 17 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Btw, do you do any vertically framed portraits ?

Hahaaaa.  big_smile

Mar 27 17 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

You have a very good eye for light and composition. 

Here is what I would advise....you don't have a lot of photos yet, so you're still finding your visual voice.  So, maybe charge people who you DON'T want to shoot with as a way of saying "No thanks" or getting paid for your time.  Don't advertise that though.....because, what you need is better models.  Don't let price come in between you and opportunity to work with better models.  So, whatever direction you want to explore, do that....shoot that for free, explore, grow, then get paid by advertising CLIENTS (not models).  If you try to make money off of models you will only slow down your growth.

If you are interested in fashion photography, approach a model agency and offer to test with their models for free, I think you are ready for that.  Try Cocaine Models, they have good faces.

(If they say no, don't be discouraged, just ask them what more they need to see in your portfolio, then you'll have your direction, accomplish that, then go back and ask them again)

Mar 27 17 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Storyteller

Greenville, South Carolina, US

My general feeling on charging someone is that as long as you are representing your self accurately, you set your price based on what your time is worth to you, and let the customer decide if you are worth it.  To me, that accurate representation means showing what you know you can do for them, not show people what you have been lucky enough to snap the shutter on.

Mar 27 17 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

"Should I start taking money for my work?"

It probably wouldn't be a felony, but certainly a misdemeanor.  Why don't you put another month or two into shooting and learning before you try to make that jump?

Mar 27 17 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

DEL GENO

Houston, Texas, US

ANYTHING is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

So, if someone is offering you money for your work, and the price they're offering is satisfactory to you, then yes, you should start taking money for your work.

People tend to take you more seriously when they perceive that you see your work as having value.

Mar 27 17 02:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Many years ago I had an online photo gallery where I uploaded my shoots which I took for fun. It didn't offer anything for payment but after some time people started finding it through Google and suggested to buy some of the images in high resolution. Then it continued naturally.

I think it is better to focus on what you like to do and show it to the world. If it is worth anything for anyone - you won't even need to ask about it.

Mar 27 17 03:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

Half a year of experience sounds very green. In my opinion I would focus on learning and absorbing as much as possible about the craft. It is difficult to imagine that in six months you've already discovered your visual voice in photography. Regarding seeking paid jobs at such an early stage, you can, "but" I would strongly advise against it. In a few months you may decide that you rather capture wildlife or architecture than people or you may see the works of a great automotive photographer and become inspired to head in that direction.

Basically, you are in the infancy of your career and you've just discovered your toes.

Mar 29 17 01:47 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Why not?  The tricky part is finding someone to hire you.

Mar 29 17 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

There are really two questions here.

Should you accept money? Damn right you should. Skill level, experience, none of that matters - if money is offered, you'd be a fool to turn it down. The ONLY time I pass up payment is if I'm doing something I don't feel confident about for a friend. And in that case, I make it clear that I'm only doing it for free because I don't know how well it will turn out, and I don't want to screw a friend. Any other situation, I'd just be leaving money on the table for no good reason.

Should you go pro? That's a way more complicated question, and one that I don't want to get involved in. I will say that until you're successful enough to turn down gigs, you're going to have a very hard time getting any good quality personal work done.

Mar 29 17 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you can get people to pay you and leave them satisfied afterwards that's a good thing!

can you make a living on photography? some people say they do but sometimes they're doing a whole lot more than just shooting.

that said, there are times when i prefer to do it as a freebie. like when i'm doing stuff for friends and relatives. then again sometimes the most demanding clients are the ones who get it for free (go figure).

Mar 29 17 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

ontherocks wrote:
if you can get people to pay you and leave them satisfied afterwards that's a good thing!

can you make a living on photography? some people say they do but sometimes they're doing a whole lot more than just shooting.

that said, there are times when i prefer to do it as a freebie. like when i'm doing stuff for friends and relatives. then again sometimes the most demanding clients are the ones who get it for free (go figure).

There's a trick to that that usually helps:. Send them a bill. Write them up for $1000(or whatever the job costs), then add a $1000 discount. It doesn't work for everyone, but that cuts off a lot of needy or demanding non-payers.

Mar 29 17 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Let me answer from a different angle.   If you make money your motivator in a creative context, you will find yourself picking from the lowest hanging fruit.  You will be shooting weddings, family portraits, baby photos, senior photos.  There is nothing "wrong" with that, and certainly you can still add your artistic brush into those formats.  But....an analogy would be if you were an amazing painter with every idea and subject at your finger tips, but then you just decide to only paint clowns because people only want to buy clowns.  So, MONEY, will always censor the purity of the artistic voice....and for that reason I am hoping you will develop your artistic voice a little more before you sell it.

Mar 30 17 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

My dad always said "never argue with anyone trying to give you money."

Apr 10 17 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rock Buffalo

Orlando, Florida, US

If I ask them, it's free. If they ask me, I charge, unless they are a close friend.

Apr 16 17 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Taking good photos and actually making money at it are two entirely different things and don't go hand in hand as a lot of people think.  One is an artistic endeavor.  The other is plain ole business.  And the business part can, sorry, DOES take up more of your time than the actual creation of the photos.  There is marketing.  Advertising.  Negotiating.  Licenses.  Insurance.

There is also dealing with the client.  Sure, you can take a great photo.  "You" think it's a great shot.  But maybe they don't.  They hired you so they are the boss for the moment.  Can you handle that?   You take your time creating a portrait now because there is no pressure.  Now someone is paying you and you HAVE TO create something THEY like pretty much on demand.  Can you?  These are things you have to be prepared for and be good at.  That is what keeps you going as a professional.

Apr 16 17 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
My dad always said "never argue with anyone trying to give you money."

+ 1.

A wise man.  If people are offering you money for your work, why refuse?

Apr 16 17 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Who likes working for free?

Charging for your work doesn't mean you don't love your work.

Most working photographers still shoot personal stuff for their own creativity, even if the photos that earn them money aren't the most creative.

Value your worth.

Apr 18 17 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Also realise, this is actually a hobbiests website, many of the people here do it as a hobby and not to make money and would not know how to.

Apr 18 17 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Kenny Goldberg

Costa Mesa, California, US

I disagree with most of the people that told you that it is OK to charge if they are willing to pay! This is the stupid kind of advice that RUINS the business and gives photographers a bad name.

I looked at your portfolio and I have to ask, who and why would anyone pay you? If a client comes to you for a professional headshot or actor or modeling portfolio and you deliver the same type of images you have in your portfolio, you are not helping them.

To take money from someone you have to be able to understand lighting in every condition, composition, posing and editing. Those skills don't come in the short amount of time you are shooting and even if they did, from your existing portfolio you still need to work on those things.

The most important thing you can do for your clients and yourself and the industry, is deliver and excellent product if someone is going to pay.

None of this is meant to be a personal attack and you may end up being one of the greatest photogrpahers on earth. However, being a paid professional is more than just finding someone willing to pay you. It is about making the client happy, delivering a great product under any conditions and understanding all aspects of the profession.

Just MY professional experience as someone who deos this full time for my living and I shoot corporate, and family portraits and events seven days a week.

I wish you nothing but the best. But learn your craft before taking people's money.

Kenny

Apr 20 17 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I'd like to take a moment to point out that if you watch/listen to just about any Annie Leibovitz interview from any time period, it's quite obvious that she has about a Photo 2 level grasp on technical skills. Maybe Photo 3, on a good day - definitely undergraduate. And yet, she is famous, respected, and rich, while we are ... Perhaps one or two of those things. She doesn't know much, but she knows what she wants, and she can hire the hell out of a team.

Sorry to say, but being amazingly proficient hasn't been a pre-req for success for a LONG time - certainly not at the local level. You just have to not suck - and despite your comments, I think we can all agree that the OP certainly does not suck.

Blame Instagram if you like, or blame the awesome automatic features on new cameras ... Whatever the case, only a very small portion of the entire photo market demands technical brilliance, and most of that is advertising.

Apr 20 17 08:54 pm Link