Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How many times would you get married?

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Is once enough, twice or more? Who is a glutton for punishment? This month marks the 10th anniversary and celebration of my divorce. Personally once was enough for me, and I could never imagine having to go through that again, no matter how amazing a person might seem.

Touchy subject but let's hear it?

Mar 29 17 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I was married for nearly two decades.  I'd stick my face in a blender before I'd get married again.  I'm done.

Mar 29 17 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

It took my aunt three tries to get it right, but she's been with her third husband now for over twenty years and they seem to be quite happy together.

Mar 29 17 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Once. I found the right person the first time. I couldn't imagine life without her.

Mar 29 17 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

As many times as it took. Been married twice at young age. Long, long story. I'm actually looking forward to being married again. Hopefully it'll work out now that I'm a little more mature.

Mar 29 17 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Rather than focus on finding the right person, focus on being the right person! ;-)

Mar 29 17 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Still looking but hoping to find the right one.  There is no divorce here in the Philippines.

Mar 29 17 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

martin b wrote:
There is no divorce here in the Philippines.

eek!

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
How many times would you get married?

Once, it happened in 1989 and ended in 2002. 

To this Day I have no clue what I was thinking.

Mar 30 17 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Married for the second time in January 1983. We're still at it. We get better with each passing day.

Mar 30 17 05:15 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I think people get soured to the idea of marriage if they've picked the wrong person.
I've dated a couple truly nice people but most of my relationships have been a nightmare.
Currently I am in a great relationship full of respect, kindness and genuine love.

I have firm beliefs about marriage.
I think both parties need to be stable financially and emotionally before even considering it.  It would be highly unfair to bring a lot of scary debt into a union or be unprepared for life in general.

As for your question, there is no limit but I would have to laugh at someone who's been married more than five times.  To each their own but hey, figure out what you want, get that and stick with it.

Marriage is an extremely strong commitment. It originally meant 'till death do us part, but nowadays with no fault divorce, a woman or man can cheat, be an asshole and get alimony.  Not cool.

I would prefer to have my student loans paid off before entering such a union.  I love the idea of marriage.  Conversely, I think I'd self-combust if a man went up to bat for alimony from me.  Money has been a thorn in my side for years. I've worked many corporate jobs that sucked balls just to make a proper living.

It's weird the stereotypes people have on when you should be married, if you should have kids, etc.  If anyone asked me I'd always answer, "Didn't find the right person yet" or "Don't want them".

Having kids without being married I frown upon in general but hey to each their own.

Getting married?  Sure.  It's a commitment and you are sharing everything with another human being. 
Sharing is nice.

I never understood how people could strike with such venom when a relationship goes wrong.  If there was a proper friendship and love all the way through, you'd want that person to be happy.  All these years if someone did me wrong or VERY WRONG, I have absolutely -0- ties with that person (no legal anything, no kids) and I can just 'walk away'.

It's beautiful.
So is forever.
I'd prefer to be married just once.
If I was foolish enough to make the wrong choice, I'd try again.

I met a divorcée (divorcé) in Memphis....

Mar 30 17 05:33 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Eastfist wrote:
As many times as it took. Been married twice at young age. Long, long story. I'm actually looking forward to being married again. Hopefully it'll work out now that I'm a little more mature.

It's this type of thinking that puzzles me, let's refer to it as the 'LizTaylor Syndrome'. I can understand (to some degree) why people re-marry after a first marriage gone sour, but a 3rd, 4th and beyond is just insane. In the case of Liz and others, I just have to wonder what goes through their minds to go through the same all over again and again!

Maybe it's me, but are some people so needy and desperate that they just can't survive alone, they absolutely must have someone in their life!

The human species is weirdorama!

Mar 30 17 05:48 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

It's this type of thinking that puzzles me, let's refer to it as the 'LizTaylor Syndrome'. I can understand (to some degree) why people re-marry after a first marriage gone sour, but a 3rd, 4th and beyond is just insane. In the case of Liz and others, I just have to wonder what goes through their minds to go through the same all over again and again!

Maybe it's me, but are some people so needy and desperate that they just can't survive alone, they absolutely must have someone in their life!

The human species is weirdorama!

lol I was think of Liz Taylor too.
Truth be told, my longest relationship in life was 3 years back in college.  No one made it past a year for years.
I know what I want.

To even date a person who has been in a relationship for 5/10/20 yikes years without being married, I know that person has a problem with commitment.  If they DO get married multiple times, I'm thinking they're fickle.

You really can't fault a person for making a bad choice but there is something special about being a 'first' and hopefully forever.

Now the real truth:
Who wants to deal with a bitchy, soured ex-wife?  That kind of baggage is destructive. When it's over, it's over baby.
Later!

lol

Mar 30 17 06:20 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Hmmmmmm, "would" and "did" don't always seem ta coincide  .  .  .  wink  I'm blissfully married for the third (and last) time  .  .  .

SOS

Mar 30 17 08:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I have a friend and an uncle who married for business purposes (i.e. citizenship).  Uncle was married five times and seemed every few Thanksgivings I was introduced to his new wife.  I was surprised at how many wives of his had a lot of gold and jewelry they brought with them.  He told me it was just like changing shoes with them all.  For a period after the Vietnam war, he was paid by the feds to provide housing for some of them.  He also had a lot of tailor-made clothes by some of them.  One even re-roofed his house.

Mar 30 17 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Marriage is overrated.  There is nothing you can't do by living together than with a piece of paper.  Having said that, We got married in 1981 and have no intention of going in a separate way.  She is always there for me; I can't ask for more. 

I am just simple guy with a simple mind and be happy with the one I married long ago.

smile

Mar 30 17 08:42 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

This is SO true (at least for me!).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/what … ar-BBz1dVA

There are many red flags and green flags in the beginning of relationships that we tune into when advising clients. However, there is ONE word that I hear and know my client has met "the one."

What is that magic word? EASY.

Yes, easy. Not that kind of easy, but easy as in, "low drama." I hear all sorts of iterations of this: "I never knew a relationship could be so easy. It just works."

Mar 30 17 09:15 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:
To even date a person who has been in a relationship for 5/10/20 yikes years without being married, I know that person has a problem with commitment.  If they DO get married multiple times, I'm thinking they're fickle.

You really can't fault a person for making a bad choice but there is something special about being a 'first' and hopefully forever.

Those conflict.

So you have been in a relationship for 3 years, but in your world 5 years is the cutoff point before it becomes a character flaw/trait incompatible with actual commitment, but also all your others relationships don't last 1 year, but your are exempted from this analysis because "you know what you want", but in college you didn't, but everyone else with long stable relationships are the problem if they don't go through the marriage rite of passage, even if everything is fine, but then if they do go through the marriage rite of passage and it wasn't fine, then they also have a character flaw.

what in the world

Mar 30 17 09:25 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

C.C. Holdings  wrote:
Those conflict.

So you have been in a relationship for 3 years, but in your world 5 years is the cutoff point before it becomes a character flaw/trait incompatible with actual commitment, but also all your others relationships don't last 1 year, but your are exempted from this analysis because "you know what you want", but in college you didn't, but everyone else with long stable relationships are the problem if they don't go through the marriage rite of passage, even if everything is fine, but then if they do go through the marriage rite of passage and it wasn't fine, then they also have a character flaw.

what in the world

I've had many relationships.  So what.
Why waste time.

You don't understand where I'm coming from and that's ok.

I value commitment but unfortunately I didn't see the characteristics I want in a lifetime partner up until now.  I won't get into a marriage or living together forever debate.  I will say that people have their own reasons why they don't want to get married. Hooray!  I just would be wary being with someone who say was with someone 20+ years and didn't want to marry their partner.  I have different values on that, period.  Different strokes for different folks.

Who the hell are you to say I didn't know what I wanted in college?  I became more mature but my needs and wants have remained the same.  If I were to explain them, it would be too personal and well, none of your business!

big_smile

As for questioning my values on relationships, well, sorry? lol it doesn't coincide with your logic.
I never stayed with anyone who wasn't compatible with me.
I never stayed in a relationship that didn't have a future.

Some people are miserable with their partner for YEARS before they finally balls up for a divorce.
You don't get to know someone overnight.

Mar 30 17 10:18 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I married my First wife twice.  H.S. Crush. 
I've been married to my 2nd now for 25+ years.

Mar 30 17 10:54 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I've had many relationships.  So what.
Why waste time.

You don't understand where I'm coming from and that's ok.

I value commitment but unfortunately I didn't see the characteristics I want in a lifetime partner up until now.  I won't get into a marriage or living together forever debate.  I will say that people have their own reasons why they don't want to get married. Hooray!  I just would be wary being with someone who say was with someone 20+ years and didn't want to marry their partner.  I have different values on that, period.  Different strokes for different folks.

Who the hell are you to say I didn't know what I wanted in college?  I became more mature but my needs and wants have remained the same.  If I were to explain them, it would be too personal and well, none of your business!

big_smile

As for questioning my values on relationships, well, sorry? lol it doesn't coincide with your logic.
I never stayed with anyone who wasn't compatible with me.
I never stayed in a relationship that didn't have a future.

Some people are miserable with their partner for YEARS before they finally balls up for a divorce.
You don't get to know someone overnight.

I forgot to add that I'm open to other perspectives, chill

I think what you wrote verbatim has too many exceptions that destroy the fabric of your generalizations. Many people take 5 to 10 years through circumstances like school to realize that they want to do something else and their partner isn't the best person for that any longer. The support through school was great and has nothing to do with marriage. w/ masters degrees and phds people don't realize this from their undergrad relationship till they are ... 28? 33? 38?

Just like your college relationship fell apart for completely unrelated reasons to both of your relationship commitment levels, its a flaw to make assumptions about the next person just because they passed an arbitrary time threshold

so I'm curious what you really think

Mar 30 17 11:57 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

even if marriage isn't this big sacred thing to you, even if you don't want the big party and all the fuss, living together without legally being married is a pain in the ass, especially when you're older and it comes to things like medical issues, death, property and taxes. Theres still a lot of things that are reserved for legal spouse or blood relatives only (and if your partner's got kids from a previous relationship, or a brother/sister who fucking hate you and you didn't get married...good luck when something happens to them, you ain't getting shit)

It's also easier to just get married than hear "you've been together for a decade, whats the issue? whens the big day? why not? what are you afraid of, you're PRACTICALLY married anyway just go to the courthouse and get it over with? why wont you commit all the way?"

Even for people who've gone through divorce and obviously know that marriage doesnt guarantee "forever", they can still feel insecure about the relationship if someone is unwilling to marry, it can feel like theyre not fully trusted, like the person is trying to keep one foot out the door because someone else screwed them over previously and now you're being punished for it, etc.

Marriage, or the lack of, can cause some pretty big messes, possibly larger messes than divorce

Mar 30 17 11:59 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

My wife and I agree that if we bailed on our marriage for any reason, we'd be done with marriage forever, and we'd just go back to living together like before. tongue

Mar 30 17 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I have been married for 40 years. I made my vows at the alter all those years ago. I am committed to keeping it that way.

Mar 30 17 12:37 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

C.C. Holdings  wrote:
I forgot to add that I'm open to other perspectives, chill

I think what you wrote verbatim has too many exceptions that destroy the fabric of your generalizations. Many people take 5 to 10 years through circumstances like school to realize that they want to do something else and their partner isn't the best person for that any longer. The support through school was great and has nothing to do with marriage. w/ masters degrees and phds people don't realize this from their undergrad relationship till they are ... 28? 33? 38?

Just like your college relationship fell apart for completely unrelated reasons to both of your relationship commitment levels, its a flaw to make assumptions about the next person just because they passed an arbitrary time threshold

so I'm curious what you really think

If you want people to be open and to 'chill', then don't make sweeping theories on what happened.
Most of my relationships, I left. 
I don't want to get too personal.

Most didn't "fall apart".  They ended because I didn't see true compatibility.  For the record, it wasn't fun being alone for a long time and having intermittent 'mini' relationships.  I usually was very patient in every relationship.  There comes a time where you don't want to 'work' so hard at something and it just comes naturally.

I didn't care what stage of life I was in or the man I was involved with (still don't to a point).  I care about intelligence, ambition, genuine caring and ultimate respect.

As far as time, it means something. I don't have a decade to 'find out' if someone wants to get married and so forth.  I usually bring it up quite quickly in a relationship.  Currently, my boyfriend and I were together every night and I never left. Before my father died in January of this year, I was really worried my father would pass before he'd see me married.  Well, he met my father in a hospital bed and even though he had a few more rounds of being in the hospital and finally ICU, I knew he knew I was with a caring man.

I never lived with a boyfriend before.  It's really awesome!  We share a lot of things, there are many sweet moments and I enjoy doing things for him as he does for me.

I have witnessed too many miserable people in my life and most of it wasn't the amount of money they had, it was choosing the wrong partner in life.

Mar 30 17 12:44 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
even if marriage isn't this big sacred thing to you, even if you don't want the big party and all the fuss, living together without legally being married is a pain in the ass, especially when you're older and it comes to things like medical issues, death, property and taxes. Theres still a lot of things that are reserved for legal spouse or blood relatives only (and if your partner's got kids from a previous relationship, or a brother/sister who fucking hate you and you didn't get married...good luck when something happens to them, you ain't getting shit)

It's also easier to just get married than hear "you've been together for a decade, whats the issue? whens the big day? why not? what are you afraid of, you're PRACTICALLY married anyway just go to the courthouse and get it over with? why wont you commit all the way?"

Even for people who've gone through divorce and obviously know that marriage doesnt guarantee "forever", they can still feel insecure about the relationship if someone is unwilling to marry, it can feel like theyre not fully trusted, like the person is trying to keep one foot out the door because someone else screwed them over previously and now you're being punished for it, etc.

Marriage, or the lack of, can cause some pretty big messes, possibly larger messes than divorce

I always wondered when people truly emotionally invest in a relationship, share finances and such and then they are left with nothing if someone flippantly changes their mind or a tragic life event happens.

Marriage to me is of course more than a piece of paper.  It means something because you are willing to care enough about a person to care about the things you've mentioned.  Unfortunately marriage to most has become, "How much can a get out of this person now!"

I feel sorry for people who don't have their life/career together so they can just say, "OK, I'll move."
"Bye!"

Mar 30 17 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

LensFlair

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Once.

I will be married 29 years next month. Our marriage is truly, until death do us part.

Heaven forbid, if the Lord should take her from me too early, that will be the end.

No one could ever take her place.

Mar 30 17 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

How many times would you get married?

Zero. Nada. Zilch.

But my "significant other" (the german word "Lebensgefährtin" sounds as weird...) and I are a couple for 27 years now.

So why should we marry? I'm quite optimistic that we will be a couple for the next 27 years as well. Except one of us or both of us should die before. Should it turn out that I am to optimistic about this to be honest I do not believe that a marriage would change anything.

So... never touch a running system. ;-)

Mar 30 17 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Somewhere in New England. Small town.
John and Abigail had been married for more than 50 years.

Now Abigail had died and after the funeral one of John's neighbours come over to John's house. John is sitting on a bench on the porch and is smoking his pipe.

The neighbour sits down on the bench silently. After a few silent minutes the neighbour says: "Well...John... I think you must be very sad now that Abigail is no longer among us."

John remains silent for one or two minutes. Then he says: "No. Actually I never did like her..."

(Couldn't resist... ;-] )

Mar 30 17 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Once. It started long ago and is still going.

If something were to happen and I wasn't married... well, marriage takes a lot of work to make a successful go out of having someone around you all the time. We have done that successfully, and we're both devoted and happy. But if she were gone, I don't know that I want someone else around me all that time, and certainly not enough to work for it.

But we say this, and then the endocrine system kicks in with the proper stimuli. Humans are inconstant. I rarely believe anyone who says, "Never again," unless they die having lived out that vow. Including myself.

Mar 30 17 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

I'm on my 4th marriage and extremely happy. My 3rd wife passed away after 19 years of marriage. I've gotten better at marriage as I got older. The first one lasted about 2 years, and the second one about 6 years.

Mar 30 17 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

kickfight wrote:
My wife and I agree that if we bailed on our marriage for any reason, we'd be done with marriage forever, and we'd just go back to living together like before. tongue

This might be the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

Mar 30 17 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I'm on my third and final marriage smile

Mar 30 17 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i tried it once. it wasn't for me. mazel tov to those who can make it work. dating is a much more dynamic endeavor. plus, if things go sideways, you can easily pull the cord.

my sister and brother in law met in grade school, and have been together for over 40 years, 33 of which have been as husband and wife. i don't necessarily envy them (although i am extremely happy for them), but i certainly doff my cap to their shared commitment. and they--for the most part--are very happy together. maybe they got lucky, but i believe it takes a certain psychological makeup to sustain a relationship for that long.

i know that marker isn't in my dna. smile it's tough to rein in the naturally mercurial.

Mar 30 17 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
I'm on my third and final marriage smile

Sounds like we need to start a club Mr. J  .  .  .  maybe the "3Ms"  .  .  .  another question, when someone asks you how long you've been married, are "we" allowed to add up the years in all the marriages, and combine them for a grand total  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Mar 31 17 08:13 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I find it funny the number of divorced people and single people who give advice on marriage.

I was married for 3 months at 19, then from 24-27 and finally got married to wife number 3 at 43 years old. We've been married 10 years and are still head over heels in love.
What I did different between wife number 2 and my current wife, I looked honestly at my part in all past female relationships...I took a GOOD honest deep look and changed for the better. As a result, I attracted a healthier person.
She helps with my photography, isn't a jealous person and even loves to fish and camp. We also are individuals who chose to live together as husband and wife and didn't lose our identities in the relationship.

Mar 31 17 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

kickfight wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
This might be the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

smile

Mar 31 17 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

A Thousand Words  wrote:
I'm on my 4th marriage and extremely happy. My 3rd wife passed away after 19 years of marriage. I've gotten better at marriage as I got older. The first one lasted about 2 years, and the second one about 6 years.

What made you unhappy with the first 3 marriages?

Mar 31 17 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

on an evolutionary scale, humans were never meant to be monogamous. we would have never left the savanna if that were the case. while i can appreciate "love" and all it entails, i can also fall in--and out--of love three times a day. smile

once again, the subtle dance between ethos, lagos and pathos somehow locked onto this false morality of monogamy, and partnership.

again, i applaud all those who have found true love. especially the one-timers. the rebuy folks have psychological issues. imho, that is. especially if you get to the third round, or beyond. at that point it's the zsa zsa/liz taylor syndrome. smile

i'm a quick study. i knew after the first try that marriage was not for me.

Mar 31 17 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

A Thousand Words  wrote:

What made you unhappy with the first 3 marriages?[/quote

Sounded like wife #3 was a keeper.  19 years until parted by death.

Apr 01 17 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

All Yours Photography wrote:

A Thousand Words  wrote:

What made you unhappy with the first 3 marriages?

Sounded like wife #3 was a keeper.  19 years until parted by death.

I like the way he describes the first one, 'lasted about 2 years' lol! Maybe she wasn't fully charged!

Apr 01 17 03:10 pm Link