Forums > Model Colloquy > Do your raw images ever make you cringe?

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The main way that I get more photos that everyone likes is to be old school. I started off with film years ago and still shoot the same way. The first thing that I do is turn the motordrive off. The second is to tell the model that she is going to pose specifically for every frame I shoot. I tell the model that she is not a butterfly and not going to move all over the place with no direction. She will have a particular expression, the body positioned where I want it and when I say "HOLD", the pose is held, even if I move to catch a different angle. The model is my muse and I appreciate her character and skill, however I am the one that see what the camera sees and should know when to make the image. It never hurts to discuss with the model what she thinks is the best way to shoot her. Often is is good to review the photos with the model as you take them, so she can confirm that she is delivering and you are capturing everything as needed. I may only get 100 photos out of a 4 hour session, but most of them are keepers and the whole team is happy.

Jun 11 17 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Section9inc

Milford, Connecticut, US

Glamour Alternative wrote:
Well honestly, if they make you cringe that much,

A: The photographer is not shooting in camera or handling light properly, or simply uses low end cameras that produce low quality raws and did not shoot you at any flattering angle with proper focal lengths.
B: The models make up, or MUA did not do a quality job hiding flaws, stretch marks, and other blemishes. 
C: The model did not come camera ready, both make up or physical appearance.
Or
D: Your work is so retouched that you are uncomfortable with the real you because the work doesn't represent you at all.

Just a general MM observation.

Thank you for saving me the time typing this out.

If your raw prints look awful, figure out if it's you, makeup, or photographer.  Adjust accordingly.  Nothing against retouchers, but for anything other than artsy creative work (color splash, etc) im against it most of the time.  We retouch way too much.  Humans don't look human in photographs anymore.  It's all so plastic which is ironic because we have the ability to "get it right" when the shot is taken (or see its wrong instantly and fix it with a second shot) and thus shouldn't have to fix it in Post.  Retouching is for mistakes, minor blemishes, or creative art.  Don't get me wrong, we ALL make mistakes, but if you do it right in camera you shouldn't need too much retouching and certainly shouldn't be shocked at your raw.  Based on your portfolio, if your raws are hideous, something is not being done correct at the time they are taken.

PS Just to clarify there are some amazing retouchers and some of their work is amazing.  I just hate airbrushing a model so much she no longer looks like the model in the photo.  It's not real... it's plastic.

Jun 23 17 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

nvrmind....

Jun 24 17 07:50 am Link

Model

Ellie-D

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I notice I look cross-eyed when I look straight ahead or at the camera a lot of the time. It makes me cringe. >_< lol

Jul 22 17 05:12 pm Link