Photographer

PSH Arts

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I'm curious as to how many vegan models there are on here and if you are vegan do you struggle working for companies that you know are not great when it comes to animal rights and fashion?

Apr 01 17 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My muse Collette is a raw food vegan.

Apr 01 17 02:33 pm Link

Model

Gonesie

Columbus, Ohio, US

I am brand-new to posing and modeling, but yes it is a concern for me. I've been using cruelty-free products in my personal life and I would certainly want that to continue as much as possible. It becomes a matter of choice for products used on or by me personally, without limiting others.

As far as products that one's work may promote...it poses interesting questions. I think there is no all-or-nothing answer. But I understand, it is something I would want to be aware of.

Apr 03 17 11:53 am Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not quite vegan, but vegetarian and gluten free.

I only had a problem one time ( as far as animal rights go ) and I gave in. It was a long time ago when I first started out and I gave in cuz I felt bad for the photographer and all the trouble he went to and how excited he was. I never post those pics and really wish I hadn't have given in. It wasn't worth it.

But animal rights isn't the reason for my lifestyle, it's just an added bonus cuz I really hated being a hypocrite when I was in the position health wise that I was required to not be vegetarian.

Not all vegans choose that for animals rights.

Apr 03 17 04:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtChaotik

Dayton, Ohio, US

I'm a plant-based makeup artist that only uses cruelty-free products. I have modeled in the past (and, yes, still have a model account here). Luckily, I never experienced anything that questioned those values as a model. As a makeup artist I have had some clients expect certain (highly commercial) brands and ask why I don't use them. I explain my stance and my commitment to quality, cruelty-free options and that usually quells that issue. smile

Apr 03 17 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

PSH Arts wrote:
I'm curious as to how many vegan models there are on here and if you are vegan do you struggle working for companies that you know are not great when it comes to animal rights and fashion?

You either take the job and sign a release, or you do not. If you're in a position to turn down paying work then more power to ya. Most are not.

Apr 03 17 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

PSH Arts

For me I find living in the way you want the world to be is more important than getting a pay packet. If the job meant changing my values as a human I would change my job. Of course different people have different standards of what they think is right but i would imaging there are lots of models that simply keep quiet so as not to rock the boat when confronted with going against their own beliefs. I'm sure in time this will change as more people wake up to the need to move away from animal agriculture and move to a more caring, sustainable and less destructive method of living.

Apr 06 17 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

PSH Arts wrote:
For me I find living in the way you want the world to be is more important than getting a pay packet. If the job meant changing my values as a human I would change my job. Of course different people have different standards of what they think is right but i would imaging there are lots of models that simply keep quiet so as not to rock the boat when confronted with going against their own beliefs. I'm sure in time this will change as more people wake up to the need to move away from animal agriculture and move to a more caring, sustainable and less destructive method of living.

Just keep it to yourself and don't piss at me because I like to eat everything.  mad

Apr 06 17 10:15 am Link

Photographer

PSH Arts

As did I before I learnt more. Then changed from eating meat with everything to waking up and realizing a change has to happen for the sake of the planet the animals and the children we leave the planet too.  I'm not here to argue. I've spent years arguing with people like you.  If you would like to learn more i would gladly send you several links to documentaries that show completely why change is needed. When you become a little more educated to what's happening you will see why that statement is not appropriate. You can't keep something to yourself that you know is destroying the planet and everything living  on it.

Apr 06 17 12:12 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nah. I went vegetarian last year for a few months and it was just sad. I'm a foodie and a gourmet cook so it was slightly depressing. I don't need meat in a dish but it is pretty much THE only way you develop deep flavors in food. I largely don't eat red meat anymore, but I adore a good rare, medium-rare steak every once in a while. I don't lead a privileged enough life to go vegan. It's also a shit ton of work. No thanks. I like food too much.

Apr 07 17 09:58 am Link

Photographer

PSH Arts

Model Sarah wrote:
Nah. I went vegetarian last year for a few months and it was just sad. I'm a foodie and a gourmet cook so it was slightly depressing. I don't need meat in a dish but it is pretty much THE only way you develop deep flavors in food. I largely don't eat red meat anymore, but I adore a good rare, medium-rare steak every once in a while. I don't lead a privileged enough life to go vegan. It's also a shit ton of work. No thanks. I like food too much.

The food we eat is lovely. Once you realise what food is like without a corps in it you soon get turned off knowing there's flesh from another living creature in your stomach. I saw what we was doing was wrong and went veggie. It took me 2 years to wake up and realise that's not enough.  I can only try to explain what is going on and why it is important to look into why so many people are changing every day.  In time everyone will have to do something. In 1812 there was 1 billion people on this planet 100 years later in 1912 there was 1.5 billion and then 100 years later again in 2012 there was 7 billion people. We've now hit 7.5 billion people consuming 70 billion land animals a year. To feed one meat eater it takes 18 times more land mass than one vegan. The animal agriculture industry is not only murdering more animals in 7 days than all the people that have ever died in any war since recorded history began but it is also destroying the planet at an incredible rate. Global warming is a massive problem I'm sure you'll agree yet animal agriculture puts out more pollution than the entire worlds total traffic combined.  Methane is 20 times more destructive to the ozone than Co2.
I was the same believe me. I thought vegans were a bunch if self righteous idiots, however I'm also not stupid and when I was shown what's going on and I looked into it a bit more I soon realised something has to be done.  It starts with ourselves and everyone digging their heels in saying how much they love eating meat and animal secretions is only making it harder to save what little chance we have of the planet recovering in time for it to still be habitable for humans.

It's not just an opinion it's not just hippies being "peace and love man" it's a massive problem.  People keep burying their heads in the sand and most simply aren't educated on the subject enough but want to shout their mouths off.  How about everyone reading this goes through the documentaries and then comes back and replies.  Here's just three videos to start off with.  "Earthlings"  " Cowspiracy"  "Gary Yourofskys best speech"  There are many many more.  The United nations is trying to figure out how to stop people eating meat because they have seen where this is heading.  I'm not trying to upset anyone, honestly I'm not but please at the very least take the time to see for yourself.

I started this thread thinking there would be more models that knew about it as it's far more healthy and easy to stay slim (if that's the body shape they want)   So I am suprized at the response.

Apr 07 17 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

PSH Arts wrote:
The food we eat is lovely. Once you realise what food is like without a corps in it you soon get turned off knowing there's flesh from another living creature in your stomach. I saw what we was doing was wrong and went veggie. It took me 2 years to wake up and realise that's not enough.  I can only try to explain what is going on and why it is important to look into why so many people are changing every day.  In time everyone will have to do something. In 1812 there was 1 billion people on this planet 100 years later in 1912 there was 1.5 billion and then 100 years later again in 2012 there was 7 billion people. We've now hit 7.5 billion people consuming 70 billion land animals a year. To feed one meat eater it takes 18 times more land mass than one vegan. The animal agriculture industry is not only murdering more animals in 7 days than all the people that have ever died in any war since recorded history began but it is also destroying the planet at an incredible rate. Global warming is a massive problem I'm sure you'll agree yet animal agriculture puts out more pollution than the entire worlds total traffic combined.  Methane is 20 times more destructive to the ozone than Co2.
I was the same believe me. I thought vegans were a bunch if self righteous idiots, however I'm also not stupid and when I was shown what's going on and I looked into it a bit more I soon realised something has to be done.  It starts with ourselves and everyone digging their heels in saying how much they love eating meat and animal secretions is only making it harder to save what little chance we have of the planet recovering in time for it to still be habitable for humans.

It's not just an opinion it's not just hippies being "peace and love man" it's a massive problem.  People keep burying their heads in the sand and most simply aren't educated on the subject enough but want to shout their mouths off.  How about everyone reading this goes through the documentaries and then comes back and replies.  Here's just three videos to start off with.  "Earthlings"  " Cowspiracy"  "Gary Yourofskys best speech"  There are many many more.  The United nations is trying to figure out how to stop people eating meat because they have seen where this is heading.  I'm not trying to upset anyone, honestly I'm not but please at the very least take the time to see for yourself.

I started this thread thinking there would be more models that knew about it as it's far more healthy and easy to stay slim (if that's the body shape they want)   So I am suprized at the response.

As a certified executive chef I couldn't disagree with you more.  But the one thing I do know is that you can never convince a vegetarian or vegan That meat is a viable option . We are omnivores after all.

The truth is everything should be eaten in moderation, using the freshest ingredients. My vegetables are what I grow myself or from open air markets. The meat I purchase is kosher or Halal.

And when I eat fish it is only on the coasts where I can get the seafood directly from the boat.  I think people would be better off buying locally and in season. Let's celebrate strawberries when they are in season, ( for me wild strawberries and blackberries are the best) and not eat those huge tasteless Driscoll all year round.

By the way as an Italian we love our vegetables and I often love to eat wonderful meals made up of vegetables.

Apr 07 17 01:56 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

PSH Arts wrote:

As a long-time member of the plant-based community (16 years), AND as a person who works full-time as a personal trainer and wellness coach, I'll generally have to disagree with your comments about slenderness. Different people process carbohydrates differently. It is a scientific fact, testable in a lab, that some people's bodies prefer to burn sugar/starch as a primary fuel source, while others are more inclined to burn fat first and store carbohydrates more readily as fat. Also, the type of exercise one does will have some influence over what a person's body is preferring to burn for fuel at any given time. It's a complex process, heavy with biochemistry and not worth writing about on the internet - but certain, mostly uncontrollable factors will determine an individual's preferred source of caloric fuel. Because of this, SOME people will lose fat and maintain a svelte physique when they consume a diet high in carbs and lower in fats. Others stay slimmer on very low carbohydrate diets, and gain fat easily when their bodies are exposed to macro ratios higher in carbohydrate.  Since veg*n people use beans and grains (complex carbohydrates) as mainstays,  vegetarian diets tend to be lower in fat, higher in carbohydrate (often 60-80% of a daily macronutrient intake). This can be wonderful for maintaining leanness in people whose bodies are geared toward sugar-burning ...No so much in those whose bodies seem to prefer fat for fuel.

There are many great reasons why people might want to choose a vegetarian lifestyle, and certainly increased leanness CAN be one of those reasons, if an individual has gone through periods of food journaling, tracking all their foods and measuring and weighing themselves over months or years to see what macro ratios and diets seem to fuel them most efficiently. But a vegetarian diet does not guarantee increased slimness and does not make fat loss easier for everyone. Just some people. Those who are interested should definitely try it, but for ethical and political reasons, or if they simply don't enjoy meat - not specifically for weight loss. If people are curious and just want to focus on getting increased fiber and vitamins from eating a higher proportion of fruits and vegetables, they can definitely do that with a vegetarian diet.

I've had numerous clients I've worked with for fat loss goals. I had one client who lost 100+ pounds. None of them did it on a strictly vegetarian diet (though there are also numerous folks who can and do). They did it by learning to read labels, count calories and measure portion sizes. The most successful also showed up to exercise, expecting to have their butts kicked every week, set their standards high and held themselves accountable when they made poor decisions along the journey. They did it by making vegetables the primary source of nourishment in their meals. I do believe that, whatever one chooses to eat, greens and vegetables should comprise 75% of your plate - at every single meal. As I said, plant-based life is great - but it's not a direct ticket to an amazing body. It depends a lot on genetics and how individual metabolisms burn and work

Apr 07 17 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Connor Photography wrote:
Just keep it to yourself and don't piss at me because I like to eat everything.  mad

+ 10

(Q: How do you recognize a vegan? A: No need to do so. They will tell you unsolicitedly within the first two minutes that they are vegan.)

My ancestors did not struggle for 500,000+ years to fight their way to the top of the food chain just to have me order a salad dish today... ;-)

Apr 07 17 03:24 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Connor Photography wrote:

A vegan pissed me off one time. I ate 'em.

Apr 07 17 03:54 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

PSH Arts wrote:
As did I before I learnt more. Then changed from eating meat with everything to waking up and realizing a change has to happen for the sake of the planet the animals and the children we leave the planet too.  I'm not here to argue. I've spent years arguing with people like you.  If you would like to learn more i would gladly send you several links to documentaries that show completely why change is needed. When you become a little more educated to what's happening you will see why that statement is not appropriate. You can't keep something to yourself that you know is destroying the planet and everything living  on it.

Uhh...bacon.

Apr 07 17 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

PSH Arts

Oh how far the human race has yet to go. I am surrounded by morons.Time to leave this site and hopefully find somewhere there is some kind of intelligent life. All these arguments are so backward.

Apr 08 17 01:01 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

PSH Arts wrote:
Oh how far the human race has yet to go. I am surrounded by morons.Time to leave this site and hopefully find somewhere there is some kind of intelligent life. All these arguments are so backward.

Bacon morons are hot.

They smell good too.

Apr 08 17 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

PSH Arts wrote:

Oh good...you're gone. Biology and history tell a different story then you would ever acknowledge. I'm not in front of the camera so the original question doesn't apply, but I have seen two successful fashion models who all but ruined their careers by going vegan. There skin and hair were never as healthy and their lean muscle mass was reduced. I don't think there was anything else going on in their life to cause this. Unlike the views of the OP, I firmly believe that lifestyle is not for everyone.

Apr 08 17 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

PSH Arts wrote:

Perhaps there is a Vegan Mayhem you can join.  BTW you are being incredibly self righteous. Also since my muse is a raw food vegan I have had 100s of raw vegan meals and from a culinary perspective they suck.

Apr 08 17 04:57 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

To reinforce the OP's perception let me ask a moronic question: what is a vegan? 😊

Apr 08 17 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

PSH Arts wrote:

Boy!  That was easy...  smile

Apr 08 17 10:17 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

On a lighter note: Cows eat grass, I've never seen a lean and fit cow tongue

Apr 08 17 11:38 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Managing Light wrote:

Boy!  That was easy...  smile

I know, right? Geesh.

Apr 08 17 05:40 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

PSH Arts wrote:

Good god this is a bunch of bullshit. I don't know what is worse the gross spelling errors, the preaching, or the massive amount of misinformation.

Apr 10 17 11:56 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

As a certified executive chef I couldn't disagree with you more.  But the one thing I do know is that you can never convince a vegetarian or vegan That meat is a viable option . We are omnivores after all.

The truth is everything should be eaten in moderation, using the freshest ingredients. My vegetables are what I grow myself or from open air markets. The meat I purchase is kosher or Halal.

And when I eat fish it is only on the coasts where I can get the seafood directly from the boat.  I think people would be better off buying locally and in season. Let's celebrate strawberries when they are in season, ( for me wild strawberries and blackberries are the best) and not eat those huge tasteless Driscoll all year round.

By the way as an Italian we love our vegetables and I often love to eat wonderful meals made up of vegetables.

Holy shit are we agreeing?!!!

I actually made Bourdain's ratatouille a week or so ago and it was fucking DELICIOUS. I LOOOOOOVE vegetables. I can sometimes make an entire pan of roasted Brussels sprouts and be content. I don't NEED meat, it's just freaking delicious.

Apr 10 17 11:59 am Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

PhotoKromze wrote:
On a lighter note: Cows eat grass, I've never seen a lean and fit cow tongue

Just remind me again what diet horses, zebras, giraffes, gazelles, antelopes etc. are on... ?!

I forgot my biology book and my Wikipedia button broke on my keyboard.     evilgrin

Apr 11 17 03:59 pm Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

TomFRohwer wrote:
(Q: How do you recognize a vegan? A: No need to do so. They will tell you unsolicitedly within the first two minutes that they are vegan.)

Yet, I find it funny that, as soon as there is a thread about veganism, meat eaters, without fail, budge in and proclaim loudly how much they love meat and crap on the vegans in such a thread!

You rarely, if ever, find a thread online about barbecuing that vegans come in and preach how much they love their veggies..., because they stay away...

For whatever reasons... meat eaters are the ones that feel compelled to preach to vegans...

Something is wrong with this picture and then you guys accuse vegans of preaching.

Here... just an example, which is actually funny in a way...

In my building, whenever I connect to the router in my apartment... there is a user that named her router ID "Girlie Vegan"... she's on there for over a year... now... a few months ago... a tenant renamed his/her router to "Meat Eaters"... it's funny, but, well... here again... a counter-reaction to a vegan... and I am certain they don't know who that other tenant is...

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17522699_754632968037152_60195038402817967_n.jpg?oh=63dc329676c4975dfeb128f2d0b7e2f4&oe=5992A8DB

Apr 11 17 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Mr. Tengu wrote:
Yet, I find it funny that, as soon as there is a thread about veganism, meat eaters, without fail, budge in and proclaim loudly how much they love meat and crap on the vegans in such a thread!

You apparently didn't read the thread. The OP was far more preachy and absolute than any of the respondents.

Apr 11 17 05:22 pm Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

Mr. Tengu wrote:

Dan Howell wrote:
You apparently didn't read the thread. The OP was far more preachy and absolute than any of the respondents.

I did read it... but I also read the topic header... it says "Vegan Models"..., in his OP, he also just asked vegan models about their reactions and stands... and compromises...

He has made a statement, explaining his own stance and philosophy... but that was hardly "preaching" in a vegan thread, with people sharing their own plant based lifestyles and philosophies on how to handle such situations.

He didn't start to "preach" until meat eaters came in opposition to veganism... that's at least what I am understanding and looking at the order of the posts...

If meat eaters wouldn't try to budge in, only vegan models would have shared their experiences... I am certain the thread would have been had a different tone...

Apr 11 17 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Model Sarah wrote:

I actually made Bourdain's ratatouille a week or so ago and it was fucking DELICIOUS. I LOOOOOOVE vegetables. I can sometimes make an entire pan of roasted Brussels sprouts and be content. I don't NEED meat, it's just freaking delicious.

Sarah I totally agree with you.

Apr 14 17 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Model Sarah wrote:

Sarah I totally agree with you.

Apr 14 17 04:59 pm Link