Forums > Model Colloquy > How do you get followers on Intagram??????

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

A common way to get followers is just to follow as many people as you possibly can; some will follow you back.
You can then unfollow them later. Some people have even written (and sell) scripts that do this automatically.

Don't be this person that does the follow-unfollow crap.

Apr 24 17 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

fl8fr8m2

West Hollywood, California, US

Use IG's features like Your Story, post video, use their filters on your photos once in a while (it's hard because it kills the post work on your photos - but there is Inkwell, which is a great B&W filter), follow 10-20 of your favorite Celebs (of course the biggest celebs), and like their posts.  And interact with your followers or people who like your work -as in, say thank you.  Go to the search feature where IG features pics and video they think you will like based on what you have liked before.  Like the photos there you like.  Credit the clothes you are wearing with the designer's Instagram.  Be sure to tag your location, and change it from time to time depending on where you are from your neighborhood to the gym or a quick visit to another city.  Like like like like like, but only follow photo feeds that you love.  Keep your followers numbers way above your following number.  Don't pay for likes or followers.  Keep it all organic.

Apr 24 17 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

DaveTong wrote:
A common way to get followers is just to follow as many people as you possibly can; some will follow you back.
You can then unfollow them later. Some people have even written (and sell) scripts that do this automatically.
That plus the gratuitous use of hashtags.

Personally I think the best way to get followers is to post interesting content (as you are doing).
I'll take quality over quantity.

I agree with your second paragraph... but the first one... Not! Nice advice, that exemplifies a lot of what's wrong on Instagram. OP, please ignore Dave's first paragraph and be a better netizen

Apr 25 17 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Jay Walker Photography

Hartford, Connecticut, US

Just followed you!

Apr 25 17 04:39 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Brentwood, California, US

DaveTong wrote:

Personally I think the best way to get followers is to post interesting content (as you are doing).

Thank You Dave, but how do I unfollow them later without them knowing? Does it alert them?

Apr 27 17 10:45 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Roberto De Micheli wrote:

I agree with your second paragraph... but the first one... Not! Nice advice, that exemplifies a lot of what's wrong on Instagram. OP, please ignore Dave's first paragraph and be a better netizen

What are "filters" and "Inkwells" on Instagram, how do I use them?

Apr 27 17 10:48 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Jay Walker Photography wrote:
Just followed you!

Thank You Jay!!!!!!!! wink

Apr 27 17 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Miss CM wrote:
What are "filters" and "Inkwells" on Instagram, how do I use them?

Filters are one-touch image manipulation functions: use them to change the "style" of your images with some cool (people think) retro/futuristic effects. Totally optional: you do not have to use them at all if you do not want to - you can upload your images as they are. They shouldn't affect your "success" ratio on IG.

Inkwell... as far as I know inkwell is a specific filter available in the IG app or some other IG-related apps. If that's correct what I wrote for filters applies to inkwell as well.

May 01 17 07:42 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Filters are one-touch image manipulation functions: use them to change the "style" of your images with some cool (people think) retro/futuristic effects. Totally optional: you do not have to use them at all if you do not want to - you can upload your images as they are. They shouldn't affect your "success" ratio on IG.

Inkwell... as far as I know inkwell is a specific filter available in the IG app or some other IG-related apps. If that's correct what I wrote for filters applies to inkwell as well.

Thanks Roberto! I found it!

May 01 17 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Miss CM wrote:

Thanks Roberto! I found it!

No prob smile

May 01 17 02:10 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

PhotoKromze wrote:
You can start keeping a "Hashtag Diary". Write down all the key words you can think of in the diary, and prefix each one with a hash. You might want to club them under specific emotions, vibes etc. And before you know it, a whole lot of hashtags are looking up at you, eager to be tagged onto your perfect images smile

Great advice!  There are also apps out there to help with this.  I use Letstag, but there are many...I can search for, say, "dance," and it will give me a whole list of related hashtags, such as #ballet, #dancer, #performance, etc.  Then I can just pick and choose the ones that apply.  I also find it to be a huge timesaver to keep a google doc with my hashtags separated by subject, so I can just copy or paste whether posting from my phone or laptop, without having to type them out every time smile

May 04 17 03:37 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Mina Salome wrote:

Great advice!  There are also apps out there to help with this.  I use Letstag, but there are many...I can search for, say, "dance," and it will give me a whole list of related hashtags, such as #ballet, #dancer, #performance, etc.  Then I can just pick and choose the ones that apply.  I also find it to be a huge timesaver to keep a google doc with my hashtags separated by subject, so I can just copy or paste whether posting from my phone or laptop, without having to type them out every time smile

Wow, that is AWESOME advise! Thank you! I had no idea there was an app like that! Everyones help has gotten me up to 280 followers. I'm amazed! Thank you all! I know it may not be as much as so many others, but to me it's a lot more then I ever expected! So thank you EVERYONE!!!!!!

May 04 17 04:05 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

One more thing, how safe is it to hashtag or give out your location especially if you get a lot of followers you may not personally know? Is that an issue with anyone?

May 09 17 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

DaveTong wrote:
You can then unfollow them later.

So is this what you do to rack up meaningless followers? Can you explain the point of this douche 'trend'????

May 10 17 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Miss CM wrote:
One more thing, how safe is it to hashtag or give out your location especially if you get a lot of followers you may not personally know? Is that an issue with anyone?

If you're using your IG for business purposes then prospective clients will want to know where you're based. I see many model profiles where there's no indication of where they are located, which can potentially hinder gaining future clients. You don't need to give your exact location, you can simply put what county you're based in as I did.

May 10 17 07:03 pm Link

Model

PHYSTEE BROWN

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Finding poplar magazines and ig accounts that show off the ladies with links usually works. Also find a poplar topic can bring in people as well.  try ggurls or wizdailydose

May 10 17 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

DaveTong wrote:

Ha, I can't believe someone would say this out loud.  Kind of like saying "A good way to make money is to start a charity and just keep all the money you collect for yourself".

May 11 17 05:49 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

PHYSTEE BROWN wrote:
Finding poplar magazines and ig accounts that show off the ladies with links usually works. Also find a poplar topic can bring in people as well.  try ggurls or wizdailydose

What is ggurls or wizdailydose and how do I find it?

May 11 17 12:21 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

PHYSTEE BROWN wrote:

Can I follow you on Instagram?

May 11 17 12:22 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

MN Photography wrote:

Ha, I can't believe someone would say this out loud.  Kind of like saying "A good way to make money is to start a charity and just keep all the money you collect for yourself".

can I follow you as well

May 11 17 12:22 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

PHYSTEE BROWN wrote:

And follow you as well, there are no links on your MM page to link me to your Instagram account. I like to follow people who know how to use it so I can learn how they use it

May 11 17 12:25 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

I just checked. There is a link on my FB page and I just posted a link on my profile here. I have only posted 7 times, don't follow many people, hardly ever log in and have 700 plus followers so maybe the best thing to do is hardly anything at all. I dunno. I work my butt off on FB to stay relevant.

https://www.instagram.com/lisapauleverhart/

May 11 17 02:46 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Lisa Everhart wrote:
I just checked. There is a link on my FB page and I just posted a link on my profile here. I have only posted 7 times, don't follow many people, hardly ever log in and have 700 plus followers so maybe the best thing to do is hardly anything at all. I dunno. I work my butt off on FB to stay relevant.

https://www.instagram.com/lisapauleverhart/

thanks got it!

May 11 17 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

photoseen

From my limited experience of less than 10 posts, hashtags help and liking others as mentioned. Also females posting selfies in bikinis and lingerie seems to help. But seriously, females have a huge advantage over males

Jun 08 17 01:34 am Link

Model

rachel nicole

Miami, Florida, US

take your clothes off

Jun 19 17 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Section9inc

Milford, Connecticut, US

rachel nicole wrote:
take your clothes off

Lmao (And yet probably true).

Now on a serious note, first convert your instagram to a business account.  It's free and just a few clicks of a button.  This will allow you to see stats personal accounts can't see, like which posts are doing well, how many viewers, demographic info, etc.  I said it in another post, modeling is a business it's time to treat it that way.  As a business you want to know which photos you post are being viewed by which demographic, and start targeting your core audience. 

Once you have a business account you can pay ($15 or so) to have one of your photos promoted (it becomes an instagram ad) to about 50k people.  You can pay more for a larger audience, but you if you promote the right photo to 50k people you will take off quick enough.

Jun 23 17 06:48 pm Link

Model

Taylor K

Laconia, New Hampshire, US

Follow me @tkelizabeth 😍

Jul 07 17 05:32 pm Link

Model

Ellie-D

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I personally got a lot of followers at one point by adding an Add Friends on Instagram app to my phone (I forget which one it was, unfortunately). Anyway, it worked by making you add a lot of random people who would ALWAYS add you back--I did this until I got about 400 and some followers and then deleted it, including the friends I added while I had the app, which meant I lost friends I had no interest in but they kept me added to their friends list, so I kept the 400 and some followers, if that makes sense?

I don't know, I explained that badly. It's really hard to explain how those add apps work, but it did work for me while I had it!

Other than that, the biggest and best thing you can do is USE HASHTAGS!! Use any and all the hashtags for a photo you can think of, especially popular ones (the popular ones will pop up as you begin typing your hashtag--letting you now how many people are actively using that tag and therefore how likely it is someone will search for that tag).

Yep, I get my followers through just using hashtags now and sharing my Instagram link wherever I can... http://instagram.com/abracadaver add me! tongue

Jul 22 17 05:11 pm Link

Model

caseymaeofficial

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

DaveTong wrote:

There is nothing more frustrating when trying to build an IG profile than people who follow you one day then unfollow you the next. Please dont do this unless you are happy for it to be done to you!

Jul 27 17 12:06 am Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

You just need to follow people to get follow back! But having said that if you are sharing some stunning pictures there and remain engage with people then also you can get some good number of followers.

Jul 27 17 02:59 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

@maleficarose

I'm also now going through all of these tips myself!

Sometimes it is quite odd when the selfies taken to test a look end up getting more loves than an image from a photoshoot. Maybe do that on occasion?

Jul 27 17 05:15 am Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

Posting a general location will increase your engagement rate about 34%. The programs Instafollow and Instafollowers will help you track who does not follow you back, and which pictures and hashtags are helping you most. If you pay for the extra features, you can even see the locations and demographics of your followers as well as the best times of day to post. Be careful adding follows... dont try to add more than 300 in a day or you will get throttled by the algorithm. Try to engage your followers regularly by liking their posts on your page and answering the DMs.

Jul 29 17 06:26 pm Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

On another track, you can do contests... I gave away a custom deck of cards to whoever liked and commented on my page the most. It drove my stats thru the roof for 2 weeks.

Jul 29 17 06:27 pm Link

Model

Ashley Vetere

Mission Viejo, California, US

I'm so glad you asked this question. It seems like a frustrating game but a lot of the castings I see now are about instagram followers and how it's important to have them.

Jul 30 17 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Aly the Cat wrote:
I personally got a lot of followers at one point by adding an Add Friends on Instagram app to my phone (I forget which one it was, unfortunately). Anyway, it worked by making you add a lot of random people who would ALWAYS add you back--I did this until I got about 400 and some followers and then deleted it, including the friends I added while I had the app, which meant I lost friends I had no interest in but they kept me added to their friends list, so I kept the 400 and some followers, if that makes sense?

This douche trend of adding just to get followers and then unfollow is the reason I got an app that shows who unfollows, at which point I do the same.

Aug 01 17 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Deep Visions wrote:
This douche trend of adding just to get followers and then unfollow is the reason I got an app that shows who unfollows, at which point I do the same.

Which app? I need to start following your example...

Aug 02 17 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Which app? I need to start following your example...

There's several, the one I'm using is called Unfollowers

Aug 03 17 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Fastest way for a model to get real interactive followers is that have one of the mega Inspo/Repost pages (100K+) feature one of your post/pics. I have seen girls get 100s of not 1000's of real followers over a course of a few days.

Aug 03 17 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Deep Visions wrote:
There's several, the one I'm using is called Unfollowers

Thank you - installed smile

Aug 03 17 01:47 pm Link