Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Under Eye Bags

Model

Britt_Annie_R

Houston, Texas, US

Question about under-eye bags-hoping someone else has the same problem and has a solution!

I always get enough sleep (8 hours plus) and still have trouble with puffiness under the eyes. I eat well, drink a lot of water, and am wondering f it's just the way my eyes are?

Of course, this is not good for photo shoots. Does anyone have any go-to products or tips for shrinking the puffiness and making a smoother under-eye area?

Thanks!

(PS I looked this up in the FAQS first but the link posted there is no longer active)

May 11 17 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Britt_Annie_R wrote:
...Does anyone have any go-to products or tips for shrinking the puffiness and making a smoother under-eye area?

Britt Annie there are countless OTC medications and a myriad of purported cosmetic solutions sold everyday for this... few if any work effectively.

First you need to understand what the issue is:  That being Infra-orbital edema (under eye puffiness) and is primarily caused by a collection of fluid in the delicate tissue that surrounds the eyes. Fluid retention can occur due to numerous factors: Lack of sleep, allergies, certain medical conditions (kidney, liver, or thyroid disease, etc,), excess salt or alcohol intake, smoking, etc.

Thus healthy lifestyle changes can actually help to minimize under eye puffiness, i.e., getting adequate sleep, minimizing salt and alcohol consumption, avoiding allergens, etc. In extreme cases, the fat pad that protects the eye in the orbit (eye socket) actually herniates (i.e. extends beyond where it should) and causes the appearance of under eye bags. This condition is ultimately correctable only through surgery (blepharoplasty) where the fat pads (or bags) are surgically removed.

btw, I hold a cosmetologist license in makeup artistry.  The most sound advice I can provide here is to encourage a consultation with a dermatologist licensed to practice in your area. Only by physically examining you will they be able to provide tenured guidance.  Hearsay you obtain on a forum such as this may not not be in your best interest especially for medical issues... Personally I have seen vasoconstrictors (creams) recommended on this forum for Infra-orbital edema, which is potentially rather dangerous.  You've been warned!

Again, please query your dermatologist on this issue... hopefully before you waste money on OTC purported solutions.

All the best on your journey Britt Annie...

May 11 17 03:19 pm Link

Model

Britt_Annie_R

Houston, Texas, US

Thank you!

May 12 17 05:52 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Genuine bags (different from puffiness and dark circles) are mostly genetic. I have had them since I was a small kid, and people always assumed I was sick. I also had chronic sinus infections as a child - was actually hospitalized because a sinus infection got so bad, it somehow infected my spinal cord when I was 8. I don't have much sinus problems anymore, but due to a combination of chronic rhinitis, indoor allergies and genetics, the damage is done; I have permanent, sagging bags under my eyes.

My dad has them also, and his are very, very bad, and he also had lifelong issues with severe sinus problems. I will probably have blepharoplasty in my 50s or so, to prevent them from reaching the point where they are as bad as my dad's (it really overwhelms his face and is all you notice about him, unfortunately).

I was told that mine could only be corrected with cosmetic surgery. No topical medicine ever helped; nothing helps. But honestly - the skin under my eyes is easily remedied with post-work. It is the ONLY thing that I actually *need* touched up in post, and I do sometimes request that the skin under my eyes be smoothed out to match the color/texture of the skin on the rest of my face. As bad as they are for someone of my gender and age, they do mostly disappear in good lighting, and with concealer. Unfortunately, concealer tends to "cake" under the eye and make a line at the base of the bag, if an MUA doesn't know what he/she is doing.

Again, there's a difference between puffiness and dark circles and real BAGS. Bags are generally genetic and basically just a permanent fact of your face

May 12 17 05:55 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Josette Redwolf

Miami, Florida, US

when I modeled or when I Get a model that has bad bags I will use preparation h on her bags also do a cool cucumber for 25 minutes on the eyes. you can also do cold spoons. there can be several reasons for bags from allergies to hormone imbalance to physical stress within the body. You can use fresh aloe vera but unless you live in cali or fla or tropical region it can be hard to come across fresh from the plant.The easiest way to get rid of puffy eyes is to drink water. When the body is well hydrated, there is less chance of water retention that can cause your under-eye area and other parts of your body to swell. Water also helps flush toxins out of the body.

To stay well hydrated, drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water each day. In addition to this, you must reduce the amount of salt you eat to reduce water retention in the body. Also, avoid caffeinated and carbonated beverages that can be dehydrating.

I wish you luck..add some preparation h to your makeup bag and keep cold cucumbers in the travel cooler ..otherwise invest in some allergy tests or see your dermatologist/plastic surgeon they have noninvasive ways of ridding the bags under the eyes.

May 13 17 02:23 am Link