Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > New Portfolio, wanting honest critique

Photographer

Jon Martin

Escondido, California, US

I just redid almost my whole portfolio on here after been practicing new techniques and post methods.  I'd be grateful if I could get a few words or thoughts about my work now.

Jun 05 17 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Kirino

Palo Alto, California, US

Love your work Jon!  I believe I meant to respond yesterday but may have forgotten.  Image wise... I really love what you're creating.  Don't have a lot to offer there except I'd love to know what lense and treatment you are using.  I like the vibrant (but not too vibrant) color and overall soft feel.

One thing I do find very distracting is the use of portrait and landscape images on the same line.  In MM photo editor there is a thumbnail view as well which will allow you to reorder the images... try to be sure that on any given line all images have the same aspect ratio. 

Also, thought it's a great shot I'm not sure the image of you adds so much that it should be the first statement in your portfolio.  Consider moving it to the profile page or the end of your slides.

Cheers,
JC

Jun 06 17 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Jon Martin

Escondido, California, US

Kirino wrote:
Love your work Jon!  I believe I meant to respond yesterday but may have forgotten.  Image wise... I really love what you're creating.  Don't have a lot to offer there except I'd love to know what lense and treatment you are using.  I like the vibrant (but not too vibrant) color and overall soft feel.

One thing I do find very distracting is the use of portrait and landscape images on the same line.  In MM photo editor there is a thumbnail view as well which will allow you to reorder the images... try to be sure that on any given line all images have the same aspect ratio. 

Also, thought it's a great shot I'm not sure the image of you adds so much that it should be the first statement in your portfolio.  Consider moving it to the profile page or the end of your slides.

Cheers,
JC

Thank you for the critique, I never thought about the order like that being a distraction so I will go change that right now and move mine to the last spot.
Like 90% of the pics I do are with a 35mm and do my editing with the Nik Collection.

Again thank you for taking your time to look over my port, I really do appreciate it

Jun 06 17 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170605/03/593531b651c6e_m.jpg
Suggested cropping and why
The accepted school of thought is not to center the subject in the frame unless you have a good reason, the middle is thought of as boring
For me I would like to see the crop at photo right, half way between model and right photo border, this will remove the distracting concrete work, and remove model from center of image

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150118/16/54bc52b2a8796_m.jpg
Would love to see all of models left fingers

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170605/03/5935319a9a5c7_m.jpg
When I first looked at this image on my monitor, I thought there was a thread on the screen, tried to blow it off and realized it was a thread from her undergarment.
I would like to see her eyes in better focus
Photo cleanup, remove thread from under models left arm, and remove red thing photo left border about midway, these would be distractions.

I wish you well

Jun 19 17 05:15 pm Link