Forums > Photography Talk > Photo Tour

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I found a couple of websites and people telling about photo Tour. It consists of photographer who is also a tour guide being hired by tourists. So tourists can be shown the best perspective of the city and photographed by a professional.

Do you know anybody doing it?

Jun 07 17 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I did it a couple of times because another photographer wanted to visit my country and shoot girls on nice beaches.  It was pretty fun and everyone had a good time.  I've seen some do something similiar in Fiji and also Hawaii.  There is something in Hungary but it was more of a photo studio that catered to tourist photographers who wanted to shoot girls in their studio.  I don't do it professionally, though.  It was kinda a one off.

Jun 08 17 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

martin b wrote:
I did it a couple of times because another photographer wanted to visit my country and shoot girls on nice beaches.  It was pretty fun and everyone had a good time.  I've seen some do something similiar in Fiji and also Hawaii.  There is something in Hungary but it was more of a photo studio that catered to tourist photographers who wanted to shoot girls in their studio.  I don't do it professionally, though.  It was kinda a one off.

What I described wasn't for photographers tourists but just average tourists hiring photographers just to have "a professional" photo and perspective of them in the landmarks, while touring the city.

Jun 08 17 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:
What I described wasn't for photographers tourists but just average tourists hiring photographers just to have "a professional" photo and perspective of them in the landmarks, while touring the city.

I imagine that a photographer being engaged as a guide would be willing to guide "photographers tourists"  as well as "average tourists".

And yes, it has been done.

Jun 08 17 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I have been thinking about doing "honey moon sailing/photo session" for the newly wedded in Caribbean with a Catamaran .  I will cater to newlyweds with all inclusive for 7 days for wherever island they want to go.  They can learn how to sail or just relax and enjoy the view.

Thinking to have two couples on board each time, I will have a hostess to help with the guest, and I will be the captain, chef and photographer.  I am a great cook and be able to entertain the guests. big_smile

Not going to do this full time, but booking one week in a month is plenty for me.  Keep me on my toes and shipshape. smile

Jun 08 17 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's a popular model here in Las Vegas that provides private tours and will model in the photos.  Most of the locations are interesting and not widely known.

Some people scoff at the price (I think it's about 500/day but may be a little more), but most regular tour companies charge a couple hundred bucks per person for basic tours where you're sitting in a cramped bus for the good part of a day, and only takes people to the typical tourist traps.

Jun 08 17 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Marcio Faustino wrote:

I've read about that but don't know anyone who hired a photographer for that.

Jun 08 17 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

I find interesting all post so far.

I am asking because I want to find out if I can do it on my own. I mean, if there are public for that to do it regularly.

Jun 09 17 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:
It consists of photographer who is also a tour guide being hired by tourists. So tourists can be shown the best perspective of the city and photographed by a professional.

Come to think of it one of my clients basically hires me for that.  Well, she actually hires my friend that's a professional limo driver and has me come along.  It's not so much to photograph her as it is to guide her on how to do photography at the locations that we go to.

Once in awhile I see an ad in the Craigslist 'gigs' section of people wanting exactly what you're talking about.  It's usually to recommend places and then follow them to each location and photographing them all along the way.  It's usually for bachelor / bachelorette party crowd, but haveseen advertising to do a surprise wedding proposal and get it caught on film, too.  Some companies will hire photographers to do it for a corporate retreat or convention as well.

Jun 09 17 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Come to think of it one of my clients basically hires me for that.  Well, she actually hires my friend that's a professional limo driver and has me come along.  It's not so much to photograph her as it is to guide her on how to do photography at the locations that we go to.

Once in awhile I see an ad in the Craigslist 'gigs' section of people wanting exactly what you're talking about.  It's usually to recommend places and then follow them to each location and photographing them all along the way.  It's usually for bachelor / bachelorette party crowd, but haveseen advertising to do a surprise wedding proposal and get it caught on film, too.  Some companies will hire photographers to do it for a corporate retreat or convention as well.

Good to know.
Thanks sharing it.
I am thinking about trying something on this direction now.

Jun 09 17 03:53 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

My friend, Bragi Kort is successfully doing this in Iceland.

https://www.facebook.com/arcticshots/?pnref=lhc

http://www.arcticshots.is/

Jun 09 17 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Lisa Everhart wrote:
My friend, Bragi Kort is successfully doing this in Iceland.

https://www.facebook.com/arcticshots/?pnref=lhc

http://www.arcticshots.is/

Nice.
I wish we had that scenery in Hamburg haha.

Jun 10 17 05:48 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

It's fairly common. There are photog tours in Japan I am considering signing for when I go there in vacation later this year. I signed up for a photog tour while on a cruise through the inside passage in Alaska. Got a lot of bad pictures if killer whales. :-)

I am going to be a tour guide for my camera club in August, I will be leading everyone on a two day trip around a rural area of the state where my parents live. Over the years I've driven on every road doing landscape photography and I know where all the old cars, homesteads, and barns are located, along with other Kodak moments. I'm not getting paid, though. A lot of people signed up when I showed them pictures of some of the places I'd take them.

So yeah, photographers jump at the opportunity to take pictures if someone can provide them with a target rich environment. And they'll pay money to do it.

Jun 10 17 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

WisconsinArt wrote:
It's fairly common. There are photog tours in Japan I am considering signing for when I go there in vacation later this year. I signed up for a photog tour while on a cruise through the inside passage in Alaska. Got a lot of bad pictures if killer whales. :-)

I am going to be a tour guide for my camera club in August, I will be leading everyone on a two day trip around a rural area of the state where my parents live. Over the years I've driven on every road doing landscape photography and I know where all the old cars, homesteads, and barns are located, along with other Kodak moments. I'm not getting paid, though. A lot of people signed up when I showed them pictures of some of the places I'd take them.

So yeah, photographers jump at the opportunity to take pictures if someone can provide them with a target rich environment. And they'll pay money to do it.

At the moment I am making a tour plan. Then I will do a tour with some friends to get their feedback and advises. I will see how it goes for me.
In my case it is a walking tour of half day or one day in the city.

Jun 11 17 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:
I found a couple of websites and people telling about photo Tour. It consists of photographer who is also a tour guide being hired by tourists. So tourists can be shown the best perspective of the city and photographed by a professional.

Do you know anybody doing it?

There have been MANY different companies who have tried it in Vegas and usually after a few months they give up. A few I know weren't even located here...they would experiment with it in their own city and then try to expand outside their area with little or no success. I was approached by one such company a few years ago who wanted to franchise it or partner up with me to do it but their model was really flawed. Basically, there is just way too much work to market it versus the money it generates. Their idea was to sell the tours through groupon and then offer a percentage of the sales to the photographer/tour guide. So if they sold it through groupon for $50 for a 2 or 3 hour tour package, the photographer would get 50% and the other half went to the company. The problem was that rarely would everyone show up, then they wanted refunds and all the hassles that went with that. So a tour might be booked for 7 people and only 3 would show up. Now the photographer would see $75 for 3 hours of work plus travel time, parking fees, etc.

I'm sure there is a way to make it work, but I can assure you, you aren't going to be making any serious money doing it.

Jun 29 17 08:35 pm Link