Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Products for body painting

Makeup Artist

Christie Ashley

Howell, New Jersey, US

Has anyone used Endura by European Body Art? If so, do you like it? Or are they any products you like better?
Need for an airbrush (but that can be used easily if something goes wrong with the airbrush). I will probably be using it on the face, arms, and chest area, but not complete coverage. If anyone has any product suggestions that would be great! Thank you!

Jun 16 17 03:56 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

I am extremely familiar with EBA's products. Endura is their alcohol-based line. My preferred technique is to layer it with EBA Vibe water based airbrush colors (used in my avatar). Both formulas are highly pigmented and has good coverage - HOWEVER they each have a different "sweet spot". What exactly are the results you are looking for?

Jun 16 17 10:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christie Ashley

Howell, New Jersey, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
What exactly are the results you are looking for?

So I'm a finalist for IMATS Battle of the Brushes an it's Guardians of the Galaxy themed so I need like semi-alien themed. I was looking for some products other than what I have now. Which is EBA an Skin Illustrator palettes and getting them into the airbrush from there. I've seen someone using the Endura before and it came out really pigmented. I guess I'm mainly looking to accent details and use the colors as shading in some areas, not covering the entire surface of the skin.
I need them to last about 5-6 hours.

Do you do the alcohol based and then the water based on top, or the other way around?

Jun 17 17 08:01 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

Christie Ashley wrote:

So I'm a finalist for IMATS Battle of the Brushes an it's Guardians of the Galaxy themed so I need like semi-alien themed. I was looking for some products other than what I have now. Which is EBA an Skin Illustrator palettes and getting them into the airbrush from there. I've seen someone using the Endura before and it came out really pigmented. I guess I'm mainly looking to accent details and use the colors as shading in some areas, not covering the entire surface of the skin.
I need them to last about 5-6 hours.

Do you do the alcohol based and then the water based on top, or the other way around?

EBA will be a great choice from what you say you're looking for - especially since they've coordinated colors across the Vibe, Endura and hand applied palettes for skin, hair and now TEETH (squee).

All the products are highly pigmented - and their Vibe water based has been reformulated so now it behaves more like a hybrid which increased it's durability.

That being said, water based colors, regardless of brand, tend to build up coverage/opacity FASTER than alcohol based formulas. Additionally, some colors are just more opaque than others due to the very nature of the pigments used.

Alcohol based formulas can tend generate more visable "fumes" in the air - so working conditions are important. Good ventilation is a must. Equipment specifications are a must. It can be counter-intuitive, but the lower the PSI you spray at, the smaller the overs pray cloud will be. So there's a real dance between the kind of coverage needed, the size of the airbrush's needle/nozzle and the psi of the compressor.

My work has no hard and fast rule as to layering, but typically I'll "sketch" and body map with alcohol based using a contour or shadow color. This allows me to get a better overall composition and any color remaining in the final design will look like a shadow - with the added bonus of acting like a skin sealer. Then I'll go for coverage with water based. Then I'll thin down the Endrua with Extenz and "color glaze". This builds up both depth and luminosity which is especially important when we're trying to create a "lifelike" but "alien" skin texture, for example.

Then, I'll use either a texture mask or hand texture tool (like a good old sea sponge) to bring some "realness" back to what would otherwise be a fakey looking perfectly smoothness of the airbrush. (Also, a design that has texture to begin with is a godsend if any touch ups are required later on....)

Hope this helps... and good luck!!!!!

Jun 17 17 11:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christie Ashley

Howell, New Jersey, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Hope this helps... and good luck!!!!!

It does help and thank you so much!

One more thing though, the model I will be working on has pretty oily skin. Will the Vibe hold up against that? Do I need to set it to prevent creasing or anything like that?

Jun 18 17 10:02 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

Christie Ashley wrote:

It does help and thank you so much!

One more thing though, the model I will be working on has pretty oily skin. Will the Vibe hold up against that? Do I need to set it to prevent creasing or anything like that?

Body paint can be rather drying... so I only worry about oily skin or perspiration when I'm working on a performer. A day at a trade show shouldn't be a factor unless they are prone to pretty severe oil slicks on the forehead.

I always airbrush on a CLEAN face. No primer. No moisturizer. Both will affect that body paint's durability.

And, less is more - especially with the water based formulas. Too thick an application and the makeup will be more prone to cracking, etc.

Good Luck!
And, if any more questions come up just fire away.

Jun 19 17 09:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christie Ashley

Howell, New Jersey, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:

Body paint can be rather drying... so I only worry about oily skin or perspiration when I'm working on a performer. A day at a trade show shouldn't be a factor unless they are prone to pretty severe oil slicks on the forehead.

I always airbrush on a CLEAN face. No primer. No moisturizer. Both will affect that body paint's durability.

And, less is more - especially with the water based formulas. Too thick an application and the makeup will be more prone to cracking, etc.

Good Luck!
And, if any more questions come up just fire away.

Okay! Thank you so much for all the help! smile

Jun 24 17 07:10 pm Link