Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hot Weather...really!

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

This little island we live in has long been known for it's truly shit weather most of the year round, but not content with this they love to exagerate things when even the slightest warm weather arrives!

Listen to how many times he mentions the word 'hot'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/40308243

Hot my ass! How the fuck can 29 or 30c (84-88F) be considered hot? When I was staying in Scottsdale AZ from May-Aug one year our nighttime temps were in the upper 80's low 90's, with daytime temps regularly above 105F, sometimes 115F.

I've travelled through Death Valley in temps of 121F.

But here in Engerlaand they think 88F is hot! Good old Blightly, the land of the twats!

Jun 17 17 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

The time that I went through Death Valley it was 125 degrees F.

Jun 17 17 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
This little island we live in has long been known for it's truly shit weather most of the year round, but not content with this they love to exagerate things when even the slightest warm weather arrives!

Hot my ass! How the fuck can 29 or 30c (84-88F) be considered hot? When I was staying in Scottsdale AZ from May-Aug one year our nighttime temps were in the upper 80's low 90's, with daytime temps regularly above 105F, sometimes 115F.

But here in Engerlaand they think 88F is hot! Good old Blightly, the land of the twats!

lol

I am from the Central Valley of California. I've experienced daytime highs up to 116 and a 30 day stretch were the lowest high was 106.

I moved up to Bellingham. The first summer I was here it got up to 92 one day in late May and everybody was crying and whining about how hot it was. I laughed at them. They did not like this.

Too bad, so sad, call Dad. big_smile

Jun 17 17 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
lol

I am from the Central Valley of California. I've experienced daytime highs up to 116 and a 30 day stretch were the lowest high was 106.

I moved up to Bellingham. The first summer I was here it got up to 92 one day in late May and everybody was crying and whining about how hot it was. I laughed at them. They did not like this.

Too bad, so sad, call Dad. big_smile

In Western Washington, 92 is hot, especially in May. Here on the east side of the state, 92 is nothing.

Jun 17 17 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

James S wrote:

In Western Washington, 92 is hot, especially in May. Here on the east side of the state, 92 is nothing.

Humidity affects how a temperature feels but Bellingham is not particularly humid, not compared to Minnesota or Boston MA.

I went to a concert in Fresno with Jeff Beck opening for BB King and it was 112 AND humid.

92 is not that hot, not anywhere.

Jun 17 17 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The Brits really need to invest in some air conditioners. Nobody seems to have them, since they only have these "heat waves" once every few years (usually whenever I go there it seems).

Heck, even an ice cold beer would help... but that seems to be out of the question too!

Jun 17 17 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Humidity affects how a temperature feels but Bellingham is not particularly humid, not compared to Minnesota or Boston MA.

I went to a concert in Fresno with Jeff Beck opening for BB King and it was 112 AND humid.

92 is not that hot, not anywhere.

It is according to our idiot weathermen. 75F is considered hot according to them!

To me, 80-90 is pleasant and a comfy temp. 90-100 is warm. 110 and above is what I would call hot, but in AZ and the CA deserts 110 feels very pleasant.

Jun 17 17 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

It is according to our idiot weathermen. 75F is considered hot according to them!

To me, 80-90 is pleasant and a comfy temp. 90-100 is warm. 110 and above is what I would call hot, but in AZ and the CA deserts 110 feels very pleasant.

Yes, but it's a dry heat.

Here in the East U.S it isn't the heat that's troubling it's the humidity...

Jun 17 17 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I find the heat bearable as long as you are indoors and have air conditioner.  I feel for the people who don't have air conditioners or have to work outdoors in the heat.  it's hot here in manila but I work in air conditioning most days except wedding shoot days or days on the farm.  At least my farm is near the ocean.  Even on hot days here I love my hot drinks of coffee and tea.  Life is good with air conditioning.

O, and it's been in the 90s here.  And the sun feels really like you are opening an oven and putting your head in front of it.

Jun 17 17 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Yeppers. We (AZ) are supposed to hit 120 today. Looks like summer has FINALLY arrived. I was getting tired of the cold. smile

Jun 18 17 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

martin b wrote:
I find the heat bearable as long as you are indoors and have air conditioner.  I feel for the people who don't have air conditioners or have to work outdoors in the heat.  it's hot here in manila but I work in air conditioning most days except wedding shoot days or days on the farm.  At least my farm is near the ocean.  Even on hot days here I love my hot drinks of coffee and tea.  Life is good with air conditioning.

O, and it's been in the 90s here.  And the sun feels really like you are opening an oven and putting your head in front of it.

This is why AZ AC techs make the big bucks. If it's 100+ outside, you KNOW the attic has GOT to be HOT.

Jun 18 17 06:27 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Lohkee wrote:
This is why AZ AC techs make the big bucks. If it's 100+ outside, you KNOW the attic has GOT to be HOT.

Last time I was in AZ I was checking out all those giant 2 ton central air conditioning units sitting around the houses.  Damn they looked pretty.

Jun 18 17 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lohkee wrote:

I just had my air conditioner repaired.   smile

Jun 18 17 08:13 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Lohkee wrote:

Yeppers. We (AZ) are supposed to hit 120 today. Looks like summer has FINALLY arrived. I was getting tired of the cold. smile

Supposed to hit 127 ish in Death Valley over the next few days, not far off the all time world record set there (134F).

Boy I just love Death Valley so much, so utterly beautiful!

Jun 18 17 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

It's hot enough here, already.  It's 107F right now, and supposed to stay that hot for the next several days, then drop off into the low 90s. 

Can't wait 'til it cools down some.  Highest I've ever experienced is 114F, in Fairfield, though.

Jun 18 17 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

It is hot (for england).  They don't compare it with temps around the world it's just unusually warm for us so that's why they call it hot.  Same here if Seattle hits 90 they say it's hot but they don't in New Mexico or Florida

Jun 22 17 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It was up to 45° in Phoenix today. My cat went outside for 4 minutes & was ready to come inside. Our record temperature was 50° in 1990.

Jun 23 17 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

While the temperature in Bandar Mahshahr, Iran, reached "only" 115 F the other day, the "heat index" (i.e., "feels like") went to 165 F, 74 C.

Probably because I'm more sensitive to heat than many others, but I just don't see how a climate that even feels like 165 F is even habitable.

Jun 25 17 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Supposed to hit 127 ish in Death Valley over the next few days, not far off the all time world record set there (134F).

Boy I just love Death Valley so much, so utterly beautiful!

While 127 isn't far off the record in the sense that it's just 7 degrees, in reality it's pretty far off in the sense that it's EXTREMELY difficult for it to get even a few degrees warmer. You need a lot of things to come together even to get 127. Above that it's very rare.

Jun 25 17 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I just returned from doing some hiking in Arizona in temps approaching 110 F.   I guess what constitutes hot is relative.

Jun 25 17 04:43 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have never lived in a place with A/C and I grew up in the South. My parents never had an air conditioner either. Every time I've worked in a place for a long period of time that was heavily air conditioned, I ended up with respiratory problems. Specifically, ongoing sinus infections. Air conditioned air tends to make me sick.

If I lived in AZ, or South Florida, it might make sense - but temperatures would have to be extreme, because of how much it's absolutely not fun to blow blood out of my nose for weeks straight.

I really can't imagine wanting to live in a house with A/C. I don't use it in the car either.

I have generally found it confusing that AC is almost considered a "necessary" thing now for people to have. Mankind has done an amazing job of surviving and reproducing successfully, despite a lack of air conditioners for millennia. I grew up among elders - none of whom had air conditioners - who sat outside, under shade trees in the summer and drank ice water. The only ones who didn't live into their 80s were smokers, or victims of non-heat-related ailments.

Jun 26 17 01:36 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I agree with Koryn. 

When I lived in South Florida, I had to schedule my days to be in the office or out of the office.  My desk was near the thermostat but the woman that sat near the front window, though it was North facing, adjusted the thermostat for her comfort.  It was so freakin cold by my desk that there was a shock to my system to go in and out of the building.  I didn't have AC where I lived either. 

I have a similar problem in the winter in PA.  If I work outside all day and come into the house, the temperature change makes me want to sleep.  I lived in a house I was renovating.  I had neither heat or AC and I felt better all of the time, all year long.

Jun 26 17 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Well, if I don't run AC in the car on warm to hot days, I end up at my destination in a pool of sweat. Always been like that, whether it was my in-shape days or out-of-shape days. So yes, what is warm or hot is relative, and no, I don't need AC. But society prefers that I run it. big_smile

Jun 26 17 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Pictures From Arizona's Heatwave: "Everything Is Literally Melting"
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-2 … ly-melting

Jun 27 17 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

We just had a heat wave last week, reached around 110F. Kind of hot, so I stayed inside, I have good AC which kept the house cool.

Slowly I get accustomed to the heat, but I don't like it as much as when I was younger.

Jun 29 17 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

One of the great things about San Diego is that the weather is so mild. Except right now when it feels like I've been transported to south Florida. Absolutely miserable, hot and humid.

Jul 08 17 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

103-104F yesterday and today... it's down to a balmy 98F at nearly 6pm...........

I worked in an office with a/c, but spent a significant amount of time every day out in an open air plant... my body struggled to "acclimate" smile

Now, I'm old and soft and blissfully air conditioned. I cant think of anything I need outside right now:)

Jul 08 17 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I just hate it when it rains, and then the sun comes out blaring hot and its a wet sticky hot from the sun shining down and radiating off the wet ground. yuck.

Jul 08 17 09:12 pm Link

Model

Ellie-D

Lawrence, Kansas, US

The hottest weather I've experienced was 120 F in northwest Arizona. Whew.

It's been pretty damn hot in northeastern Kansas lately, though. 100 F + with killer humidity. I just stay inside and hibernate when it gets this hot. I LOVE swimming, but unfortunately I don't have a pool, so I rarely get to enjoy that aspect of summer.

Jul 22 17 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

rfordphotos wrote:
103-104F yesterday and today... it's down to a balmy 98F at nearly 6pm...........

I worked in an office with a/c, but spent a significant amount of time every day out in an open air plant... my body struggled to "acclimate" smile

Now, I'm old and soft and blissfully air conditioned. I cant think of anything I need outside right now:)

I don't know how I grew up without air conditioning!  Now I can't be without it!

Jul 22 17 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Gets hot here in the California valley. It's been over 100F for the last few weeks, of course we joke about the heat:

Hot enough for you today?

June 30th: Just moved to Chico. Now this is a state
that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm
balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I've
found my home. I love it here.

July 4th: Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a
problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an
air-conditioned car, What a pleasure to see the sun
everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper,
happy 4th!

July 10th: Had the backyard landscaped with south
western plants today. Lots of Cactus and rocks. What a breeze to
maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher
today but I love it here.

July 12th: The temperature hasn't been below 100 all
week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it is
windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking
longer then I expected.

July 15th: Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd
degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days of
work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson
though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like
this.

July 20th: I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the
car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the
hot car at noon, Lomita had and swollen up to the
size of a shopping bag and stank up the upholstery.
The car now smells like Kibbles and burnt cat hair. I
learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

July 25th: The wind sucks. It feels like a giant
freaking blow dryer! And it's hot as s**t...! The
home air-conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman
charged me $200 just to drive by and tell me he had to
order parts.

July 30th: Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3
nights now. $275,000 house and I can't even go inside.
Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th: It's 110 degrees. Finally got the AC fixed
today. It cost me $800 and gets the temperature down
to 85 degrees I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th: If another wise guy cracks "Hot enough for
you today?" I am going to strangle him. Damn heat.
By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling
over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like
baked cat!

Aug. 9th: Tried to run some errands after work. Wore
shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car I
thought my butt was on fire. I lost 2 layers flesh and
all the hair on the back of my legs and butt. Now my
car smells like burnt hair, fried butt and baked cat.

Aug. 10th: The weather report might as well be a
recording. Hot and sunny, Hot and sunny, Hot and
sunny. It's been too hot to do anything in 2 damn
months and the weatherman says it might really warm up
next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn city? Water
rationing will be next. So my $1,700 worth of cactus will dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug 14th: Welcome to Hell! Temperature got to 115
today Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn
windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix
it and said " Hot enough for you today?' My sister had
to spend $1500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Chico.
What kind of sick demented idiot want to live here?
Will write later to let you know how the trial goes.

Jul 25 17 07:25 am Link