Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Jepgs Quality Issues

Photographer

Affa Chan

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

All of the jepgs outputs are often too dark, de saturated and lack contrasts, especially in the white, the whites often turn out just grey; but they were all good while in Photoshop.

I am using the Canon 5D MK4 and the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) as well as Photoshop CC.

On the camera, I shoot raw using the Adobe 1998 colour space, after I have edited the images in Photoshop, I would go: File=> Export=> Save for Web (Legacy). Then I would make sure I have checked "Embed Colour Profile” and “Convert to sRBG”. The results are not good.

I can not afford a monitor calibrator so I am hoping to seek advice if there are settings on the Mac, photoshop or the camera I could adjust to get a more accurate or a better jepg output quality.

I would appreciate the help.

Affa

Jun 18 17 07:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Affa Chan wrote:
All of the jepgs outputs are often too dark, de saturated and lack contrasts, especially in the white, the whites often turn out just grey; but they were all good while in Photoshop.

Sounds like a color management issue. In which software does it appear? How is this software configured? Are you looking at the same JPG file in Photoshop and in the other software? Or are you uploading the JPG to some site which manipulates the image (like FB, IG..)?

Please clarify so we can look at this further.

I am using the Canon 5D MK4 and the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) as well as Photoshop CC.

That doesn't matter. If there is a discrepancy between different viewers - it is a software configuration thing.

On the camera, I shoot raw using the Adobe 1998 colour space,

Raw image data has no color profile.

after I have edited the images in Photoshop, I would go: File=> Export=> Save for Web (Legacy). Then I would make sure I have checked "Embed Colour Profile” and “Convert to sRBG”. The results are not good.

What is the source color space? What are your color management settings in Photoshop? How do you evaluate the result - in the preview of "Safe for web" or in another way? What have you selected in the Preview dropdown? All these can influence the result.

If your working color space is AdobeRGB and you have very saturated colors, you won't be able to have this level of saturation in sRGB because it is a smaller color space. It is not a defect.

I can not afford a monitor calibrator so I am hoping to seek advice if there are settings on the Mac, photoshop or the camera I could adjust to get a more accurate or a better jepg output quality.

I would appreciate the help.

Affa

Re. calibration etc you can have a look at this thread:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/967677

Re. color discrepancies in Instagram you can have a look at this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/967658

Re. settings, here are mine:
https://snag.gy/Cb9KSa.jpg

Save for web dialog (AdobeRGB gradient on the left, source image):
https://snag.gy/bVpWPm.jpg

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Jun 19 17 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Affa Chan

anchev wrote:

Affa Chan wrote:

Sounds like a color management issue. In which software does it appear? How is this software configured? Are you looking at the same JPG file in Photoshop and in the other software? Or are you uploading the JPG to some site which manipulates the image (like FB, IG..)?

Please clarify so we can look at this further.

That doesn't matter. If there is a discrepancy between different viewers - it is a software configuration thing.

On the camera, I shoot raw using the Adobe 1998 colour space,

Raw image data has no color profile.

after I have edited the images in Photoshop, I would go: File=> Export=> Save for Web (Legacy). Then I would make sure I have checked "Embed Colour Profile” and “Convert to sRBG”. The results are not good.

What is the source color space? What are your color management settings in Photoshop? How do you evaluate the result - in the preview of "Safe for web" or in another way? What have you selected in the Preview dropdown? All these can influence the result.

If your working color space is AdobeRGB and you have very saturated colors, you won't be able to have this level of saturation in sRGB because it is a smaller color space. It is not a defect.

Re. calibration etc you can have a look at this thread:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/967677

Re. color discrepancies in Instagram you can have a look at this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/967658

Re. settings, here are mine:
https://snag.gy/Cb9KSa.jpg

Save for web dialog (AdobeRGB gradient on the left, source image):
https://snag.gy/bVpWPm.jpg

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for your respond!

1) I will export the images to a web person and she would upload the images to a commercial website. I am not sure rather this website changes the colour contrasts, but I have seen images with a nice point of white and good contrasts on there before my time.

2) I am not very experienced with the "save for web" window and I've only applied what I have searched on the web in aim to aid my problem. Would you mind telling me know what should I be doing to unsure a better jepg output at this step?

I have followed your colour settings switching to PhotoPro, I wet to my iMac Monitor settings and switched to PhotoPro, DAM! the whole computer went dull in colours, should I be working with that? I just can't forfeit all the nicer colours from the default iMac monitor setting!

May I also ask, how could one get into the "Save for web dialog" window you have kindly showed us in the last message?

Looking forward to your reply.

Affa

Jun 19 17 03:18 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Affa Chan wrote:
Thanks so much for your respond!

1) I will export the images to a web person and she would upload the images to a commercial website. I am not sure rather this website changes the colour contrasts, but I have seen images with a nice point of white and good contrasts on there before my time.

It is important to know how if the website changes the image. If it does - that is not something you can control. A simple way to check this is to upload an image to the site, then download it and compare it with your local copy using a file comparison tool.

Also remember that sometimes browsers have color management issues. Personally I have reported quite a few bugs to developers. So a browser in general may not be your viewer in which you can evaluate color critical work.

2) I am not very experienced with the "save for web" window and I've only applied what I have searched on the web in aim to aid my problem. Would you mind telling me know what should I be doing to unsure a better jepg output at this step?

It depends on your workflow. Personally I prefer converting to sRGB before opening "save for web" by using Edit->Convert to profile where I have more options to control, including rendering intent. I suppose what "safe for web" uses as the intent set in PS preferences but since I haven't written this software, I cannot be 100% sure. So if you want full control - convert to sRGB before opening the "save for web". Then simply embed the sRGB profile.

Better jpeg, in the sense of better quality, would mean less compression. Generally you won't find any visual difference between JPG with quality setting of 70% and 100% but if you go below 70% there will be perceptual difference.

I have followed your colour settings switching to PhotoPro, I wet to my iMac Monitor settings and switched to PhotoPro, DAM! the whole computer went dull in colours, should I be working with that? I just can't forfeit all the nicer colours from the default iMac monitor setting!

I don't know what exactly you did and all the Mac specifics but the principle workflow is:

1. In your OS (desktop environment) you should set the color profile of your monitor. That can be a factory one but it would be better if your monitor is calibrated and profiled - in which case you will set this ICC profile system wide.

2. In Photoshop you set the working color space - in which you edit your images. This can be sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto or other. In general you would want to use a bigger color space, so you have more freedom to edit without hitting its limits.

3. You can soft-proof how your colors will look in a target color space. Use the soft proofing option in Photoshop menu to specify it (View->Proof setup->Custom, remember to turn off "Preserve RGB numbers" as you will be converting). For example if you want to see how your colors would look in sRGB: select sRGB as proofing space. This doesn't change your working file but is a good visual feedback. You can also evaluate out of gamut colors (ones which cannot fit in your target workspace).

4. Once you have finished your edit, keep your working file in its original working color space. Then flatten and convert to the target color space (e.g. sRGB) and save for web, or save it through File->Save.

May I also ask, how could one get into the "Save for web dialog" window you have kindly showed us in the last message?

Looking forward to your reply.

Affa

File->Export->Save for web

Jun 19 17 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Affa Chan

Thank you very much anchev! I will practice what is said here before I go on and ask anymore questions smile

Many thanks!

Jun 19 17 05:06 pm Link