Forums > Photography Talk > HP Sprocket Portable Photo Printer

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Will this thing replace my Fujifilm Instax?  Does anyone have one?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/715P9q-N2ZL._SL1500_.jpg
smile

Jun 21 17 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Where are the sprocket holes? (says someone who remembers 15"x11" fan-fold paper...)

Jun 26 17 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I too would be curious about the quality, though I wouldn't expect much. HP is a weird company when it comes to printers; their pro photo line isn't Epson good, but it's certainly Canon good; their commercial printers for banners, etc. are Epson good. Most of their consumer stuff is garbage. They don't really have a middle ground the way Epson and Canon do.

That said, I don't think anything can replace the Instax printer. The whole point is that it makes a "Polariod" - not something that looks like it, and not just a good print. Actually, the prints are mediocre at best; but they're special, and people like them. It's probably my favorite photo toy, since you can do a shoot with a real camera, send the image to phone then Instax, and give your subject something fun and special right away. But it is a toy ... I've borrowed one several times, but never felt the need to actually buy one. I guess I always had something more important to spend $200 on.

Jun 27 17 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

The HP falls massively short on the cool/cute factor.  Also, its a lot more fun to watch a Polaroid develop than to watch a fully printed photo slowly emerge like a piece of toast. That part has always been cool and will always be cool.

Instax makes a 300dpi photo printer that prints actual photos that you get to watch develop. Combines the coolness of the Polaroid with the convenience of a smart phone and eliminates the cost saving of printing unwanted photos.. Game over.

The instax printer means game over for instax cameras too, those are rubbish.

Cheers,
Noah

Jun 28 17 02:26 pm Link