Forums > Critique > .....more new work with Porscha

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170624/09/594e98f7ad377.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170622/09/594bf100a5597.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170623/07/594d276a65f30.jpg

Moved indoors into a homemade V-flat on 2 separate occasions recently and caught these, amongst others, of Porscha.

Canon 50D. Lens was the 35mm f/2 (its all I have the working room for) @ f/9 1/100th and 1/250th sec ISO 160. Theres a Bowens Prolite 82 up close Camera left through a small Chimera softbox.

Wardrobe and direction by Me, Hair and Makeup are Hers. 

I realize these are ho-hum to some, but We like them...as always thoughts, tips and pointers are greatly appreciated

Jun 24 17 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

The second shot is by far the best pose, it shows off her figure nicely. The third one with the combination of a fairly "square to the camera" pose, black swimsuit and difficulty of lighting a light-skinned model in a black outfit so there is detail in both just misses the mark entirely for me.

They all seem a bit underexposed. Are you shooting RAW? How are you metering your exposures?

If the light you used is the only one you have then consider experimenting with reflectors. At a minimum would like to see one above her adding a rim light to her hair and shoulders. Properly positioned, a reflector on the right side could brighten up her right edge without filling in the shadow.

It is tough working in small spaces.

Jun 24 17 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Shadow Dancer wrote:
They all seem a bit underexposed. Are you shooting RAW? How are you metering your exposures?

Yes and I use a Sekonic 308S which gave Me the f/9

def a challenge to work in a small area

Jun 24 17 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Yes and I use a Sekonic 308S which gave Me the f/9

I have that flashmeter, almost 30 years old and never a single problem. Love it!

That does not mean it is the be-all end all. You still need to test since your camera does not appear to completely agree with it.

Set up a scene in your space with various three dimensional objects in a range of hues and shades. Shoot a series of exposures starting with the flashmeter reading and then opening up the lens at the smallest possible increment (my camera does 1/3 stops). Shoot at least a couple of increments past what appears to be overexposed.

Open the files in RAW and find the brightest exposure that still can be adjusted to have detail in the highlights. Note the difference between that exposure and what your meter tells you. Don't consider any white areas that are blown out, like the catchlight in the eyes or the logo on the swimsuit. It is almost impossible to capture detail in a white area that is reflecting light directly into the camera.

Write that difference down and refer to it. You can back off a little if it makes you feel safer or there is a lot of white in the image. For that matter you could set up a scene with all sort of light colored objects and test again.

Jun 24 17 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I have that flashmeter, almost 30 years old and never a single problem. Love it!

That does not mean it is the be-all end all. You still need to test since your camera does not appear to completely agree with it.

Thanks, I will try this!

Jun 25 17 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Overall all your photos are very good; my top pick would be the second image. I would like to see your light a bit higher to raise the catch light.

I wish you well

Jun 25 17 04:49 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Lee_Photography wrote:
I would like to see your light a bit higher to raise the catch light.

I wish you well

This is a brilliant observation, the catchlight is on the low side, a detail I hadn't noticed.

Thank You!

smile

Jun 25 17 05:40 am Link