Forums > Critique > New PortfoliO!!

Model

rachel nicole

Miami, Florida, US

I am so excited anytime I have a photoshoot ! I am new to building my portfolio, as I have always been camera shy, but I really think I could make a solid income as modeling as my side gig if I shape up my core a little bit more. I really appreciate all and any input you may have, I am pretty sure I have the confidence to take even harsh criticism. smile

Thanks everyone!

~rache

Jul 06 17 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Your biggest problem, to me, is you need to hook up with better photographers. I see potential with you but the photography is lacking. Many of your images, if I had been the photographer, would have been deleted.

Keep shooting and you will get there.

Jul 07 17 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

A quality portfolio starts with quality images, images that have busy backgrounds are distractions from the subject. This includes such things as people walking away in the background, busy borders and distracting logos.
You are a lucky model; you have great looks and at 5’ 10” are in the top group of models.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170706/19/595ef31e7e7e5_m.jpg
Pose wise, show me your left hand fingers, with that much arm showing they would help finish the look. The viewer’s eyes should flow top to bottom, in this image the eyes stop at the bottom of your right elbow. {Think how this would look if your right hand was on your waist, or thumb hooked on belt loop, I would also suggest removing the plastic pink band, looks like a key fob.}
Notice too how having the background blurred, you stand out as the main subject?
It is also great to see your body on an angle to the camera and good eye contact with the camera.

You are the kind of model a photographer would dream of shooting, try to be more selective of the photographers you work with and photos you add to your portfolio.

I wish you well

Jul 07 17 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

The biggest problem I see with your portfolio Miss R, is that it says you're in Miami, and not Orlando  .  .  .  how am I gonna shoot ya if you're way down there  .  .  .  wink  Wonderful look, if you're ever up this way, you've got an open invite to shoot  .  .  .

SOS

Jul 07 17 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

rachel nicole wrote:
I am so excited anytime I have a photoshoot ! I am new to building my portfolio, as I have always been camera shy, but I really think I could make a solid income as modeling as my side gig if I shape up my core a little bit more. I really appreciate all and any input you may have, I am pretty sure I have the confidence to take even harsh criticism. smile

Thanks everyone!

~rache

You are outstanding; your images don't do you justice.

Advice? Practice emoting more. And seek out outstanding shooters.

Jul 07 17 04:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

This should be the first to go from the latest 12.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170706/19/595ef34024651_m.jpg
Tan lines on your breast are different from the bathing suit.  Tan lines look great on nudes, though many would disagree, but not so great on non nudes.  The sun is your enemy!  Your hips are turned square with the camera, and your hips appear square on your right side, with a bit of a roll from the upper hip down.  Your left arm seems really rigid.  I don't like the piece of rope, it should have been removed.  Hair seems undone, even for a pony tail, but pony tails are always good.  Neck looks good- very long.  Nice expression.  Still:  dump it.

You are a lovely woman.

I like this. 
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170706/20/595eff7d7a20a_m.jpg

Jul 07 17 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

You have a great look. You definitely need to work with better photographers, but I’m also a firm believer in the importance of training your eye to recognize what quality images look like. MM is not the place to do that.

Try checking out tumblrs like this one. The guy who curates it has a wonderful eye for timeless style in all aspects of life.

http://apostrophe9.tumblr.com/archive

Jul 07 17 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Your shyness in front of the camera is still very evident - but I believe you can overcome that.
Posing and emoting all need work, and your wardrobe choices need to improve.
Your fine look and that wonderful braided hairstyle are sooo very deserving of some dynamic imagery. Had you shown up to shoot with me sporting that hairstyle, I may have passed out from happiness.

I have always disliked borders on images and feel they bring the quality of a portfolio down, no matter how good the image itself may be.
The first 4 images in your port are your best.

Jul 08 17 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rachel you've been here since 2009 but still have what looks like a starter portfolio.   You look great but don't connect well with the camera.   Many of your images are repeats.   Try and not use the same location and outfit twice.   The watermark on most of your photos is obnoxious.   Going forward I would try and get signed with a Miami agency which does commercial work.   You will need a basic commercial or lifestyle portfolio.   Think walking a dog or eating at a outdoor cafe or shopping.   I would also grab a good moisturizer and sun block.    In so many of your images you appear stiff and uncomfortable.   Miami has so many fantastic photographers.   Start shooting!

Jul 08 17 10:49 am Link

Model

rachel nicole

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks for all the very constructive criticism. Emoting to the camera is challenging for me, and as you all can see, it shows in my work. Does anyone have any resources I should turn to that can help me grow out of looking so stiff and lifeless infront of the camera?

Jul 10 17 12:32 pm Link