Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Sharpening technique with no halos

Retoucher

Rick Hughes

Richmond, Virginia, US

The sharpening filter algorithm finds a contrast boundary and then darkens the one side and lightens the other.  Works fine but if you over-do the filter you end up with very obvious white edges called halos all over the place.  The way to sharpen without the halos - copy the image to a new layer - sharpen the image - and then set the layer mode to darken.  Halos disappear.  However, if the image already has halos this doesn't work.

An example is found in my photos.

Oct 17 17 08:55 am Link

Retoucher

fireshoot

Naples, Campania, Italy

Rick Hughes wrote:
The sharpening filter algorithm finds a contrast boundary and then darkens the one side and lightens the other.  Works fine but if you over-do the filter you end up with very obvious white edges called halos all over the place.  The way to sharpen without the halos - copy the image to a new layer - sharpen the image - and then set the layer mode to darken.  Halos disappear.  However, if the image already has halos this doesn't work.

The photoshop unsharp mask creates dark edge, not white. To remove halos, set the duplicate layer to lighten and not to darken. This is about unsharp mask PS. Are you talking about this?
https://s1.postimg.org/5n28e1faj3/capelli.jpg

Oct 17 17 09:33 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

To get sharp images without introducing the effect of unsharp masking use sharp lens and bilinear demosaic.

Oct 17 17 09:52 am Link

Retoucher

Andrey Bautin

Ivanovo, Ivanovo, Russia

Rick Hughes wrote:

fireshoot wrote:

The photoshop unsharp mask creates dark edge, not white. To remove halos, set the duplicate layer to lighten and not to darken. This is about unsharp mask PS. Are you talking about this?
https://s1.postimg.org/5n28e1faj3/capelli.jpg

It's more of a hack and not a technique. There is a way to do it but for some reason it's still not implemented in photoshop as a simple slider.
The idea is to NOT sharpen edges that are already sharp by masking them out using edge detect filter.

Or...use another method of extracting details from the image instead of Gaussian Blur (which is used in both Unsharp Mask and High Pass filters). Median for example.

Oct 17 17 10:42 am Link

Retoucher

fireshoot

Naples, Campania, Italy

Andrey Bautin wrote:
It's more of a hack and not a technique. There is a way to do it but for some reason it's still not implemented in photoshop as a simple slider.
The idea is to NOT sharpen edges that are already sharp by masking them out using edge detect filter.

Or...use another method of extracting details from the image instead of Gaussian Blur (which is used in both Unsharp Mask and High Pass filters). Median for example.

Yes. I use a different technique about unsharp mask. Can see it in this my old video tutorial. That video is one way. Good sharpness needs 3 steps.Capture sharpen, Artistic Sharpen, final sharpen for printing.
The video show is the second of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zZzKla7hGo

Oct 17 17 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

j francis photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I use this

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/233739

or something like it

Oct 17 17 07:02 pm Link

Retoucher

findart

Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands

For an image that already has halo, I'll just use stamp tool sampling from beside halo, with darken or lighten brush mode depending on white halo or black halo.

Oct 20 17 03:50 pm Link